Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best TG or Star Alliance Lounge in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
BTW, I was in the domestic TG Royal Orchid lounge A concourse yesterday 05 april around midday and was agreeably surprised by the food offerings, they had an excellent spicy coconut chicken noodle soup among other things. (not tom kha kai, forgot to write down the name) My 8 year young daughter who is a difficult eater loved the soup.
I usually leave that lounge around 11am, but this time had a flight out around 2pm, thus don't know if this is a recent improvement, will be back for an 11am departure in may. The place was crowded for 30 minutes around noon though.

Recipe might look like this: https://www.adishofdailylife.com/201...n-noodle-soup/

Leaving BKK late april and will visit BR and SQ lounge, guess I will pass the TK lounge although flying TK...

Last edited by tartempion; Apr 5, 2019 at 6:44 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BinSabai
exactly!
F and no Status: one guest
J and no Status: no guest
Y and *G: one guest
I just want to be clear. If I am flying J on TG and have no status, can I use the TK, BR, or SQ lounges?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I just want to be clear. If I am flying J on TG and have no status, can I use the TK, BR, or SQ lounges?
Yes, you can use any *A business class lounge. Including TK, which is not yet in the *A lounge finder.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Yes, you can use any *A business class lounge. Including TK, which is not yet in the *A lounge finder.
Thank you! Now, I have to wait for my in December to enjoy it.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thank you! Now, I have to wait for my in December to enjoy it.
Enjoy! Just to add, biz passengers can not host a guest in the lounge - just in case you are traveling with someone.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by tartempion
BTW, I was in the domestic TG Royal Orchid lounge A concourse yesterday 05 april around midday and was agreeably surprised by the food offerings, they had an excellent spicy coconut chicken noodle soup among other things. (not tom kha kai, forgot to write down the name) My 8 year young daughter who is a difficult eater loved the soup.
I usually leave that lounge around 11am, but this time had a flight out around 2pm, thus don't know if this is a recent improvement, will be back for an 11am departure in may. The place was crowded for 30 minutes around noon though.

Recipe might look like this: https://www.adishofdailylife.com/201...n-noodle-soup/

Leaving BKK late april and will visit BR and SQ lounge, guess I will pass the TK lounge although flying TK...
I think the menu is "Khao Soi Kai", it's a northern style noodle soup.
tartempion likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
This applies worldwide (except for some flights operated by US carriers). Star Alliance 'class of service' access means biz and first class passengers can use any available biz and first class lounge provided by any alliance airline, at any airport.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This applies worldwide (except for some flights operated by US carriers).
Star Alliance 'class of service' access means biz and first class passengers can use any available biz and first class lounge provided by any alliance airline, at any airport.
+1 except in the case of a premium lounge (see my point below)

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Enjoy! Just to add, biz passengers can not host a guest in the lounge - just in case you are traveling with someone.
This doesn't sound right - J class pax CAN host a guest in a lounge if they hold airline Elite status, like Gold or Platinum - but they can't bring a guest into a PREMIUM lounge e.g. UA Polaris, SQ SKL or QR AM lounge - off the top of my head.
As far as I am aware, only QR's BKK lounge is a premium lounge, & only for J class pax with a confirmed ticket.
The rest of the lounges (SQ, BR. TG, TK) do allow a guest if they are also traveling on the same flight, same airline or same carrier/alliance as the main member/cardholder.

@ChinaShrek - good to know that your are planning early for your trip in Dec.!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by bmi_Barry
Sorry the pics didn't upload! Check below.
As for amenities, there's a shower stall in the main toilets but it's oddly exposed and feels a bit industrial.
I've only used the EVA showers before and they're far nicer.
Chairs were fairly standard.
One thing I noticed on the way to the gate was how their stand up banners advertise all Star Alliance airlines as the focus rather than SQ & others who advertise themselves. It's clear that they're trying to skim off as many Star Alliance passengers as possible.
If the food offering improves, I'll be back. Otherwise, I'd rate it a solid third (ahead of TG but after BR & SQ lounges).
Hope all this helps!

Pita & dips. Hopefully they'll put that oven to use in the future?
Dropped by the TK lounge last week, will post a review in the TK forum but just wanted to highlight some points below -

I didn't read the post in detail before I went on my trip but wow - the shower room/stall is mighty strange.
Totally agree on the exposed under part of the door - I can imagine when it gets busy from 7-11pm & there'd be a line of people waiting outside while you take a shower, yelling thru the gap "Oye, are you almost done yet" ? ...:
I was the only one in the shower & it took me a good 20-25 min. to finish incl. getting dressed, etc.
I'd be very uncomfortable & self conscious if there were a line outside waiting.
The shower is missing a shelf for toiletries & the shower room is missing a stool or bench for getting dressed & putting on shoes.

SHOWER

PIZZA

The open kitchen/oven was in use when I was there - the lady was making flat bread pizzas but as soon as she finished making 1, it was all gone. The pizzas weren't very big & after a couple of guests take 2 pcs each, there's none left. I wonder why doesn't she make them bigger or make a bigger batch?
It was tasty, a bit too salty for my taste as she was plenty generous with the cheese!
The other pastries were lamb & spinach, and some sort of herb baked on flat breads. I couldn't quite place the flavor but she said it was good for my tummy
Oregano perhaps? It smelt very familiar ...with a sort of licorice fragrance

I agree that the BR lounge has better showers, much more private & calm.
And as bad/run down as the TG lounge is, the showers in the E concourse lounge are perfectly acceptable - large, roomy, airy & it has a bench & table set (granted it looks all very 1980's inside)

TK staff are aware of our feedback to them about the food offerings, we'll have to wait & see if they improve on it.
I was there between 2-5pm & most of the hot buffet & other items were laid out except for 1 or 2 empty food warmers.
They do serve sparkling wine at the bar, but it's not always manned by a staff & there's not ice dispenser so you'll have to ask the staff to get u some from the bar.

Overall a beautifully designed lounge, there are some warm spots in the lounge where the AC doesn't flow to & having a shower is indeed better than not having one even if it is exposed ... and having a prayer room is a very thoughtful touch for Muslim travelers.

Lastly, there is a sleeping/resting room just next to the bar. The doors are closed so one could easily just walk past it without realizing.
There are recliners/loungers in the room, sadly no flat beds but it's dark & cool inside. The lounge is open 24 hrs a day so I guess that's a new place to crash for the night when I have to catch the first flight out in the morning.

So to answer the question - Best TG or Star Alliance Lounge in BKK ?

It depends -

For food and drinks, the SQ or BR lounge (ice creme!), but a shout out to the TG concourse D lounge for the khao soi & pork noodle soups which are delicious (during lunch time only)
For a shower, TG or BR (TK only if it's outside of the evening peak hours for TK flights)
For long daytime layovers where u need to lie down - TG concourse E lounges with the nap room but limited food & drinks
For over nights - BR until they close at 2-3am or now, the new TK lounge that's open 24/7
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by kaffir76
This doesn't sound right - J class pax CAN host a guest in a lounge if they hold airline Elite status, like Gold or Platinum - but they can't bring a guest into a PREMIUM lounge e.g. UA Polaris, SQ SKL or QR AM lounge - off the top of my head.
Add AC's Signature Suite to the list. ^
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:24 am

Hmm - I'll need to check on that bit about the SQ SKL lounge _ I took my Mom in as a guest 2 weeks ago when flying SIN to KUL & she was on a Y ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rest of the lounges (SQ, BR. TG, TK) do allow a guest if they are also traveling on the same flight, same airline or same carrier/alliance as the main member/cardholder.
This is, of course, true. However since the OP explicitly stated they had no status, it seemed worthwhile to add a short, focussed, and specific comment.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I take it you are referring solely to the SKL at SIN, because the SKL at BKK is a *G lounge and the usual *A access rules apply.

Note also that F pax can bring a guest into UA's Polaris lounges.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
This doesn’t sound right - J class pax CANNOT host a guest in the lounge if don’t hold any other arrangement such as: status, lounge membership, corporate agreement, persuading abilities or bribing capabilities.
YMMV
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ lounge on BKK packed this evening. SQ979 delayed, and I suspect a bunch of *Gs as well as biz pax. Escapees from TG’s lounges?!!

So busy that SQ staff were walking around acting as ushers to try and locate a free seat for guests even as pairs. They must have been close to turning away people...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.