Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best TG or Star Alliance Lounge in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:33 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In the SQ Lounge, and almost no asian food options - mainly western hotel-style brekkie, complete with ‘plastic’ chicken sausage.

I elected a champagne chaser….
Look out the window, I’ll wave to you from the stranded JAL 789 out on the taxiway Apparently there are issues with flight systems, so they just announced we are returning to gate …

Have a safe trip!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by SKT-DK; Jan 12, 2024 at 8:47 pm
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Look out the window, I’ll wave to you from the stranded JAL 789 out on the taxiway Apparently there are issues with flight systems, so they just announced we are returning to gate …

Have a safe trip!
Same back!
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:50 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
A wise decision and the reason to visit the SQ lounge. 🥂
actually the only reason...
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hey all,

Would love to hear the TG brain trust’s thoughts on which of the *A lounges have the best shower facilities. Things that are crucially important to me in order of importance are ventilation (ie. the BKK QR lounges have amazing looking shower facilities with awesome
diptyque products, but zero ventilation and one will always leave the shower more sweaty than when entering, negating the whole shower!), cleanliness, privacy, and products. Would love to hear all of you all’s opinions!! Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
In the SQ Lounge, and almost no asian food options - mainly western hotel-style brekkie, complete with ‘plastic’ chicken sausage.

I elected a champagne chaser….
Well, I was there a couple of days ago, around 19 am, and there was lots of Asian food options available.

As for the champagne, as I discovered (per your photo), the barman is rather stingy with his pours.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
Well, I was there a couple of days ago, around 19 am, and there was lots of Asian food options available.

As for the champagne, as I discovered (per your photo), the barman is rather stingy with his pours.
at 19 am? well, that is the busiest time for Asian cooks
stingy barman? never met one in that lounge.... maybe he was a teetotaler and was thinking that sooo early you should not be drinking....
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The food options changed/improved shortly after my post. I was just surprised with what I saw at that time…
Stinginess is relative - one can just return more frequently for another…
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
at 19 am? well, that is the busiest time for Asian cooks
stingy barman? never met one in that lounge.... maybe he was a teetotaler and was thinking that sooo early you should not be drinking....
Really not up to barmen to be the protector of moral values. I was quite sober and wanted a glass of champagne to go with my breakfast. What's so unusual about that (if you're in a western culture place?)
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:45 am

The food options changed/improved shortly after my post. I was just surprised with what I saw at that time…
Stinginess is relative - one can just return more frequently for another…
I don't like barmen with attitude issues. And I've met a few around the world. If they don't approve of alcohol or serving it to certain genders, perhaps they shouldn't be barmen.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:14 am

Really not up to barmen to be the protector of moral values. I was quite sober and wanted a glass of champagne to go with my breakfast. What's so unusual about that (if you're in a western culture place?)
agree...actually airline lounges are the only places in whole Thailand, where the strict alcohol rules of Thailand do not apply...
which are:
Serving alcohol is only allowed from 11am-2pm and 5pm-12pm (with additional extra hours after midnight for entertainment districts only)
strictly no alcohol on all Buddhist holidays
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: Aegean Miles&Bonus
I don't like barmen with attitude issues. And I've met a few around the world. If they don't approve of alcohol or serving it to certain genders, perhaps they shouldn't be barmen.
every time I have been in that lounge I pour myself the champagne
I must have been there like 20 times the past few years
Mostly really early in the morning
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:16 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Come on, please don’t play the gender card - Thailand is probably the country with the least gender discrimination, and just because you jump to that conclusion doesn’t mean it is the case
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by jkgrpas
every time I have been in that lounge I pour myself the champagne
I must have been there like 20 times the past few years
Mostly really early in the morning
indeed...you can pour yourself or you can wait until you are served....
usually not every guest during early morning hours drink champagne , so the barmen's reaction might take a little longer.....that's probably how certain people get the impression, barmen are reluctant to serve....
LoungeLizzard and jkgrpas like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
indeed...you can pour yourself or you can wait until you are served....
usually not every guest during early morning hours drink champagne , so the barmen's reaction might take a little longer.....that's probably how certain people get the impression, barmen are reluctant to serve....
I didn't realise that it was acceptable to self pour. I could easily have done this but I thought it might have been seen as disrespectful.

Perhaps next time I might give it a try. Although, thinking about it, there may not be a next time, as I'll probably be heading to the Omanair lounge, which is usually my go to lounge at BKK. I only went to the SQ lounge because of its high rating on this forum, and I didn't want to needlessly spend a priority Pass visit.

I was in the Omanair lounge a few days ago, and really did enjoy it. The food, while the range may be fairly limited, is fine, especially the variety of local curries. And to be honest, the availability of self-pour champagne, where no one gives you a sideways glance, is a real winner.

Last edited by Grace B; Apr 7, 2024 at 3:31 am
Old Apr 7, 2024, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't realise that it was acceptable to self pour. I could easily have done this but I thought it might have been seen as disrespectful.

Perhaps next time I might give it a try. Although, thinking about it, there may not be a next time, as I'll probably be heading to the Omanair lounge, which is usually my go to lounge at BKK. I only went to the SQ lounge because of its high rating on this forum, and I didn't want to needlessly spend a priority Pass visit.

I was in the Omanair lounge a few days ago, and really did enjoy it. The food, while the range may be fairly limited, is fine, especially the variety of local curries. And to be honest, the availability of self-pour champagne, where no one gives you a sideways glance, is a real winner.
Might need to trial the OmanAir lounge as I have 2x PP vouchers to use - and am flying CX BKK-HKG in Y !
Grace B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.