Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

How common is it for crew to greet Gold pax on domestic flights

Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG Gold, Marriott Gold

TG crew greeting Gold members -informing of the flight time and asking for meal choice- is common on int'l sectors. It has happened on 100% of my international flights.

However on domestic sectors, I was only greeted on only 4 of 9 flights so far this year.
Does the policy also apply to domestic flights (but was skipped by lazy crew), or is it not policy and was only done by certain good crewmembers by themselves?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ualdenver
TG crew greeting Gold members -informing of the flight time and asking for meal choice- is common on int'l sectors. It has happened on 100% of my international flights.

However on domestic sectors, I was only greeted on only 4 of 9 flights so far this year.
Does the policy also apply to domestic flights (but was skipped by lazy crew), or is it not policy and was only done by certain good crewmembers by themselves?
even as a Platinum member sitting in biz you usually do not get more attention on a domestic flight than anybody else unless you are a TIP....
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

Sorry, but get over yourself will you? They are not lazy, but the fact is that there are enough Star Alliance Gold members (most achieved by US credit card spend and not flying) to feed the worlds population of cattle
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM
You are referring to flying TG business class internationally, I imagine. This has not been my experience TG ROP Gold in coach. 😊
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
My experience is only TGs ROP Golds/Plats on international experience this quick welcome.

In early Jan this year flying in Y (coach) from SGN to BKK a young cabin crew came to row 53 confirmed I was Mr TK and then knelt and welcomed me as ROP Gold, told me the flight time, and explained the meal. I was served first, rather like getting s special meal.

In 2022 flying longhaul biz MEL-BKK on TG and accruing to AirNZ. During the boarding welcome rounds by the ISM/Purser they became aware I was also TG Gold, and the special welcome followed by crew managing my side of the cabin.

I cant recall experiencing this domestically, but no surprise given Thai Smile (WE) was operating until recently
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG Gold, Marriott Gold
I am referring to TG Economy on international flights. Where a certain crewmember goes around greeting the ROP Gold and Plat seated in Economy (sometimes the purser will do this) either during boarding or soon after takeoff. I've seen this on 100% of my TG Economy flights.

On domestic TG Economy, it is the same practice, but only happens 50% of the time.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I am referring to TG Economy on international flights. Where a certain crewmember goes around greeting the ROP Gold and Plat seated in Economy (sometimes the purser will do this) either during boarding or soon after takeoff. I've seen this on 100% of my TG Economy flights.

On domestic TG Economy, it is the same practice, but only happens 50% of the time.
My belief is that this is relatively new for TG (post-COVID and insolvency), at least to high levels of consistency that you you describe. I was surprised they bothered on my short SGN-BKK in Y. I certainly am not bothered for such attention on short domestic flights - if anything, a quick smile and "welcome back Mr TK" would be enough.

Even if this is a new/refreshed policy for TG*Gs on Domestic flights, remember that there is a program of training and standardising those crews from THAI Smile into THAI International. And frankly, the operational requirements around smooth boarding and getting set to go far exceed any such engagement.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Even if this is a new/refreshed policy for TG*Gs on Domestic flights, remember that there is a program of training and standardising those crews from THAI Smile into THAI International. And frankly, the operational requirements around smooth boarding and getting set to go far exceed any such engagement.
Yespresumably as it currently stands it is more likely for ex-WE crew to be the ones type-rated for A320s and so that might explain some service discrepancies. FWIW it is much more challenging for cabin crew to hop around a single-aisle narrow-body to make sure they get to all the TG *Gs especially when A320s are operating on tighter turns and crews already having worked multiple flights that day, etc.

Also pretty sure getting personally greeted is not a written benefit, but I can see why one can feel entitled to itreally makes you feel important!
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
My belief is that this is relatively new for TG (post-COVID and insolvency), at least to high levels of consistency that you you describe. I was surprised they bothered on my short SGN-BKK in Y. I certainly am not bothered for such attention on short domestic flights - if anything, a quick smile and "welcome back Mr TK" would be enough.

I think you are right; probably a pretty new policy as I can not remember to be greeted Pre-Covid on every flight, in particular on regional flights (to China, Korea, Japan etc.) and very seldom on any domestic flight despite I am Platinum since they introduced this status and usually fly biz, sometimes F
SKT-DK and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Royal Orchid Plus, World Perks
I've been TG Gold since 2010 and fly often in TG Y and I can confirm that they do greet me and bring the meals early 100% of the time on international flights.

They have not done it before on domestic flights nor did WE. However, I did notice them bringing the snack out to me first on my last flight from Phuket.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:49 pm

Programs: TG
Originally Posted by ohsopc
I've been TG Gold since 2010 and fly often in TG Y and I can confirm that they do greet me and bring the meals early 100% of the time on international flights.

They have not done it before on domestic flights nor did WE. However, I did notice them bringing the snack out to me first on my last flight from Phuket.
My experience is the same. Up to last year on WE no special treatment, but on my current trip I have had 4 domestic TG flights and they have greeted me by name on 3 of them, snack/meal first every time.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ohsopc

On a recent trip as TG Gold, flying TG Y, we were greeted prior to take off and served the meal early on both occasions, flying internationally. On the connecting domestic flights, there was no special treatment and the snack bag was offered as the cart made its way down the aisle. On a domestic flight, I am not expecting special treatment.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
On a recent trip as TG Gold, flying TG Y, we were greeted prior to take off and served the meal early on both occasions, flying internationally. On the connecting domestic flights, there was no special treatment and the snack bag was offered as the cart made its way down the aisle. On a domestic flight, I am not expecting special treatment.
I think it is like that for years.
on domestic flights, I got a seat in F class seats when it was a 747 but never any special greeting or treatment by the crew...
on international I get usually served early
restlessinRNO likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.