New TG Lounge Taking Shape At BKK

Old Nov 3, 19, 11:25 pm

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
To be honest, this ban is a move I fully support, and is no different from many other international airports around the world
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:05 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
To be honest, this ban is a move I fully support, and is no different from many other international airports around the world
Sure, neither of us smoke but Thailand should make itís mind up how much it wants tourists

I donít see any problem with the designated smoking lounges at other airports
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:16 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Sure, neither of us smoke but Thailand should make itís mind up how much it wants tourists

I donít see any problem with the designated smoking lounges at other airports
Personally, I do not think it is a deterrent for tourist arrivals. Most people would likely either not know in advance or be used to it from their origin/transit points. On the contrary it could help showcase the country as taking public health seriously by discouraging smoking.

I always find that you are being hit by a wall of stinky smoke when forced to walk past those smoking rooms - as soon as the door is opened the smoke pours out and lingers in the air for long.
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Personally, I do not think it is a deterrent for tourist arrivals. Most people would likely either not know in advance or be used to it from their origin/transit points. On the contrary it could help showcase the country as taking public health seriously by discouraging smoking.

I always find that you are being hit by a wall of stinky smoke when forced to walk past those smoking rooms - as soon as the door is opened the smoke pours out and lingers in the air for long.
Yeah, but in BKK the smoking rooms were tucked away on the lower level. I've never left from one of those gates, so most would be hard pressed to have any smoke effects unless seeking the rooms out.

This makes BKK less appealing to transit tourists, and departing tourists. Arrival not so much of an issue.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:32 am

I can imagine that someone addicted to smoking might well check on their ability to continue their habit whilst on holiday.
Smoking lounges would encourage & not discourage those pax.

If they really want to stop people from smoking, they could try taxes, 60 THB for 20 Camel .....
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Really ?
Since when ?
I donít smoke but there was a smoking room in the F lounge before
Yes there was even after they banned smoking at the airport. I suppose the new F lounge won't have one then

If that's the case, I am going to divorce my Thai missus and head to Vietnam to find a new wifey, can still smoke at the airport there
Old Nov 5, 19, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by chelseastu View Post
Yes there was even after they banned smoking at the airport. I suppose the new F lounge won't have one then

If that's the case, I am going to divorce my Thai missus and head to Vietnam to find a new wifey, can still smoke at the airport there
Sounds like a plan, if not a little drastic.
chelseastu likes this.
Old Nov 5, 19, 5:25 am

Better hope she does not read FT
chris63, chelseastu and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 5, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
It's the best plan I've got at the moment
Old Nov 5, 19, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Better hope she does not read FT
...especially if she raises ducks.
chelseastu likes this.
Old Nov 5, 19, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Sounds like a voluntary downgrade to me.
SKT-DK, chris63 and chelseastu like this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Okay, back OT, I'm in the new "Prestige" lounge now waiting to depart on TG606. It's super spacious and the decor is quite attractive. I wish they had selected higher quality, more comfortable chairs. Food is a disappointment. It's basically the same stuff as across the way, plus a few cooked to order items - stir fried noodle with chicken ball, pad thai, and instant noodle soup. Perhaps that's just a mid-afternoon flat spot. But I would rate SKL food several notches higher.

There are a gazillion staff members standing around. All very friendly, but it's almost a little awkward, you can't go ten feet without giving at least two or three "sawasdee kraps."
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Okay, back OT, I'm in the new "Prestige" lounge now waiting to depart on TG606. It's super spacious and the decor is quite attractive. I wish they had selected higher quality, more comfortable chairs. Food is a disappointment. It's basically the same stuff as across the way, plus a few cooked to order items - stir fried noodle with chicken ball, pad thai, and instant noodle soup. Perhaps that's just a mid-afternoon flat spot. But I would rate SKL food several notches higher.

There are a gazillion staff members standing around. All very friendly, but it's almost a little awkward, you can't go ten feet without giving at least two or three "sawasdee kraps."
Totally agreed. But guess what. The toilet has bum guns! BIG UPGRADE for me.
chris63 and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

I had a quick visit yesterday and was quite impressed.
Still very few people using it.
I'm not particularly fond of Chang, but I'd have to say that the draught on offer is the best beer available at BKK.
Noticed also that one of the concourse 'C' lounges seems to be undergoing some serious refurb.
Old Nov 17, 19, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by DH188 View Post
I had a quick visit yesterday and was quite impressed.
Still very few people using it.
I'm not particularly fond of Chang, but I'd have to say that the draught on offer is the best beer available at BKK.
Noticed also that one of the concourse 'C' lounges seems to be undergoing some serious refurb.
I recently visited and agree - this is a definite improvement. More food choices, 2 red, 2 white and sparkling wine available. They are overstaffed, but this is Thailand.

Search this Thread