Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI: News

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
There is now a further article in the Bangkok Post: "THAI pilots told to keep mum about Zurich delay".

www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1561566/thai-to-pilots-dont-talk-about-zurich?utm_source=bangkokpost.com&utm_medium=artic le_news&utm_campaign=most_recent_box

The article states "... for inactive pilots, there is no rule that first-class seats should be reserved for them or not, the source continued.". "But the pilots and the station manager should not fight and hold the passengers hostage".
This part of the article is also very interesting:

"The pilots who were supposed to fly the B777-300ER were therefore sent home because they were not licensed to fly the substitute plane."

This sounds to me that their claim that "deadhead pilots need proper rest to resume duty after landing" might even be unfounded. It sounds to me more like they were hitching a ride home instead of rushing to fly another flight.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by pon18n
This part of the article is also very interesting:

"The pilots who were supposed to fly the B777-300ER were therefore sent home because they were not licensed to fly the substitute plane."

This sounds to me that their claim that "deadhead pilots need proper rest to resume duty after landing" might even be unfounded. It sounds to me more like they were hitching a ride home instead of rushing to fly another flight.
pon18n - It certainly suggests that to me too.

BTW Thank you for your excellent translation efforts.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I read some of the FaceBook posts from the PIC's page. One mentioned that deadheading pilots returning in biz class seats get 3 days 'off roster' rest on arrival to their station, however if managing to return in a First seat they need only 36 hours rest. No indication if this is accurate information.

The 77W has a 'proper' crew rest area, but not the older types such as 747.

The comments appeared to be 75%-25% towards critical of the PIC, mainly for holding up 300 pax and for tarnishing TG/Thailand reputation. The supporters mostly were saying that flight safety and crew rest are the prime concern.

Of course, detailed facts are needed to understand the circumstances - but the 'big picture' to the ordinary passenger is that the flight was delayed for matters that should have been resolved internally.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:33 pm

I get it that sometimes an employee might feel compelled to fight the company for denying their rights they think they deserve. I also get it that welfare of flight personnel off-duty are also important.

But seriously, is "my friends need a bigger seat" the hill you want to die on?

It's not even an economy seat, for crying out loud. The service for both B and F on that flight are also essentially the same. Couldn't you wait to resolve this afterwards? Definitely not worth 2 hours of passengers.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by pon18n
I get it that sometimes an employee might feel compelled to fight the company for denying their rights they think they deserve. I also get it that welfare of flight personnel off-duty are also important.

But seriously, is "my friends need a bigger seat" the hill you want to die on?

It's not even an economy seat, for crying out loud. The service for both B and F on that flight are also essentially the same. Couldn't you wait to resolve this afterwards? Definitely not worth 2 hours of passengers.
If this was an A380/77W/787/350 I'd totally agree with you - a flat bed in biz class or F is still a flat bed.

But this is an unique situation where there is a substantial difference in seating... on the 747 it's angled lie flat and I don't think there are many of us who would like to spend an overnight flight in those seats, regardless of how good the service is.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If this was an A380/77W/787/350 I'd totally agree with you - a flat bed in biz class or F is still a flat bed.

But this is an unique situation where there is a substantial difference in seating... on the 747 it's angled lie flat and I don't think there are many of us who would like to spend an overnight flight in those seats, regardless of how good the service is.
If the comment on FaceBook is accurate, TG has made provisions for this difference in seating for deadheading pilots in the 747 by having 2 different recovery periods; 1.5 days if resting on on F seat, 3 days if resting on the J seat.

Not to be overlooked is that of the 4 deadheading pilots, it was (allegedly) the 2 deadheading Captains were the ones who took F seats, whereas the other 2 deadheading pilots stayed in the allocated seats of 16J/K - which has extra legroom as an emergency exit row.
restlessinRNO likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 20, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
If the comment on FaceBook is accurate, TG has made provisions for this difference in seating for deadheading pilots in the 747 by having 2 different recovery periods; 1.5 days if resting on on F seat, 3 days if resting on the J seat.

Not to be overlooked is that of the 4 deadheading pilots, it was (allegedly) the 2 deadheading Captains were the ones who took F seats, whereas the other 2 deadheading pilots stayed in the allocated seats of 16J/K - which has extra legroom as an emergency exit row.
Yes, it is interesting that this concern that the off-duty pilots need their rest in a first class seat only seems to extend to the 2 senior off-duty pilots. The 2 other deadheading pilots managed to fly back in their business class seats, without further drama.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
There is now a further article in the Bangkok Post: "THAI pilots told to keep mum about Zurich delay".
www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1561566/thai-to-pilots-dont-talk-about-zurich?utm_source=bangkokpost.com&utm_medium=artic le_news&utm_campaign=most_recent_box
The article states "... for inactive pilots, there is no rule that first-class seats should be reserved for them or not, the source continued.". "But the pilots and the station manager should not fight and hold the passengers hostage".
the link is not working! searched a bit and here is the link
new Bangkok Post article
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:02 pm

reading the explanations of TG, I would not be surprised if they close entire F cabin on future flights with 747, where F is not sold to avoid such situations….saving face Thai way….
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:21 pm

The Thai social media is all about this story right now. There has been people who claim that the TG policy on deadhead pilot does not guarantee F class, only B.

The official comment from TG, however, is still "under investigation" on the issue.
Thai-Kiwi and BinSabai like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:55 am

I wonder what would have happened if a 777, having no first class, was sent to replace the inoperative aircraft.

Would the four deadheading pilots have refused to travel until a B747 or an A380 came to collect them?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by 11277m
I wonder what would have happened if a 777, having no first class, was sent to replace the inoperative aircraft.

Would the four deadheading pilots have refused to travel until a B747 or an A380 came to collect them?
I'm not sure that would have been an issue. Here the plane had an F cabin, with full flat seats. If it was a 77W sent to replace the flight they would have had full flat anyway. If it was a non lie-flat 777 I guess they would have all got their 4 days off or whatever on arrival.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by 11277m

isn't this story about the inoperative aircraft wrong?
usually there is a 77w on this route, but they planned already ahead to replace it by a 747 for 4 days (same like last month; also from today are 747 for 3 days scheduled).
So rather than let the 777 pilots wait for 5 days in Zurich until another 777 arrives, they let them return to BKK
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by BinSabai
for the pilot to go public and blame the station manager for the whole mess is completely ridiculous!

I probably will ask Platinum help desk how can I avoid in future that I have to fly with Captain Chakri Dararat Chongsiri as I fear for my own safety being exposed to a Captain with such a miserable and ruthless personality

or is this Chakri Dararat Chongsiri so well connected that he thinks he is untouchable?
I believe this man may believe that he is untouchable, if he is the same fellow who supported the previous military coup.
10 years ago this month; he was suspended

Thai Airways International captain Chakri Chongsiri has been suspended from work indefinitely after he stopped three members of parliament from the People Power Party boarding flights to Khon Kaen and Udon Thani
https://www.reuters.com/article/thai...KK937820081009
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I believe this man may believe that he is untouchable, if he is the same fellow who supported the previous military coup.
10 years ago this month; he was suspended

Thai Airways International captain Chakri Chongsiri has been suspended from work indefinitely after he stopped three members of parliament from the People Power Party boarding flights to Khon Kaen and Udon Thani
https://www.reuters.com/article/thai...KK937820081009
And then was cleared of any wrongdoing a month later...

Thai Airways has reinstated a pilot following his refusal to allow three government ministers to board a flight. The Nation has reported that Captain Chakri Chongsiri was cleared of any wrongdoing, after an investigation found his actions did not breach any protocol. Captain Chakri is thought to have taken the action in support of Thailand’s on-going anti-government protests.
https://www.traveldailymedia.com/pro...in-reinstated/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.