Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI: News

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Thai Airways
BTW Sendai is on the east coast approx north of Fukushima. I would think that most Thais who visit Japan in winter do not partake in winter sports but they love to experience snow, photogenic places, cold weather and other things that they cannot find in Thailand and furthermore the short travel time is a plus compared to Europe. Same applies to other Asians who live in hot climates. Nagano and the surrounding area is a great place to visit in winter.

So many Thais have been to Sapporo in winter (as well as July) that other destinations are becoming popular for them.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I

On a different note: Isn't Sendai the area with radioactive contamination from the nuclear meltdown/disaster many years ago and sealed off from the public?
No! Sendai was never sealed off, or in any significant way affected by radioactive contamination from the Fukushima accident.

Sendai was hit by the tsunami, and the airport was flooded. There are videos around of the water washing in. As far as I remember, no planes were on the ground when it happened.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, sorry for my ignorance on the geografi of Japan. It seems that I have mixed up the tsunami/flooding in Sendai with the Fukushima accident.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
[QUOTE=maerim;31103065]BTW Sendai is on the east coast approx north of Fukushima. I would think...." (unquote)

Thanks, Maerim, for your observation and correction - I have meanwhile corrected my post regarding the correct location of the city
Old May 17, 2019, 3:06 am

as per below link, TG is planning with both, Sendai and Manchester as new destinations during this year:
http://thai.listedcompany.com/misc/PRESN/20190517-thai-analystBriefing1q2019.pdf
Old May 17, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
as per below link, TG is planning with both, Sendai and Manchester as new destinations during this year:
http://thai.listedcompany.com/misc/PRESN/20190517-thai-analystBriefing1q2019.pdf
Link contains a referral that is bad. Try http://thai.listedcompany.com/misc/P...fing1q2019.pdf
joy16 likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 17, 2019 at 4:38 am
Old May 20, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
TG results are not good at all. From Q1 2018 a big drop in pax and a significant increase in costs, resulting in a significant operating loss. The drop in passenger yield is worrying.
TG cabin factor is dropping and still have an ambitious program to increase the number of planes!
Old May 20, 2019, 11:48 am
SKL

THAI can not attract enough premium passengers at higher fares due to inferior product. They are also undercut by LCC in the back cabin. A classic situation of having candle burning at both ends.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SKL
THAI can not attract enough premium passengers at higher fares due to inferior product. They are also undercut by LCC in the back cabin. A classic situation of having candle burning at both ends.
Only their F is (slightly) inferior to their competitors in terms of soft product (namely catering). Their ground handling is far superior to even SQ.

TG's biz class product is at least equal to their competitors. TG's soft and hard product has improved out of the ball park in the last 18 months.

Why they can't make money I don't know. Possibly just that it is primarily a leisure market?
Thai-Kiwi and maerim like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Agreed. We don't really know the 'friction' on profitability that is likely to exist internally for a range reasons.

Perhaps also the influence their marketing strategy. Maybe there is a tension between being characterised as leisure market carrier (tour groups, LCC-ish) or a 'full service' carrier looking to straddle business and full-range leisure.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: BRK-B
THAI price on SET index has dropped below 9 yesterday, lower than the par value my parents bought back in 1992, I think the future of THAI is worsen.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:21 am

almost all airlines share prices very recently have substantially decreased, including European Low Cost Airlines such as Ryanair ('which has been downgraded by analysts today) and Easyjet, LH and AF, because of a variety of reasons, such as higher crude oil prices due to increased tension in the Gulf area, the B737Max-desaster, the "lack of easter holiday travel deman" duing 1Q19 ("delayed" or "postponed" to Q2) and then their individual home-made internal problems.....In case of Thai the recent forex Baht-USD/EUR-development for more than one year also pays its tribute: less income in hard currencies, but on the other hand less hard currency expenses (for fuel) in THB....

Last edited by Creole Spirit; May 22, 2019 at 7:25 am
Old May 29, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Only their F is (slightly) inferior to their competitors in terms of soft product (namely catering). Their ground handling is far superior to even SQ.

TG's biz class product is at least equal to their competitors. TG's soft and hard product has improved out of the ball park in the last 18 months.

Why they can't make money I don't know. Possibly just that it is primarily a leisure market?
I don’t agree... their J class is extremely fragmented. I can count 5 seat generations (Cirrus, Evolys, Minipod, Solstys, Diamond) and you never know what you’re gonna get in case of aircraft swap. If your 77W gets swapped by a 773 or if your 789 gets swapped by a 788 or any other combination, this results in unhappy premium passengers. This plus the only passable catering doesn’t help compared to say, SQ, with a much more ambitious J class, even regionally. And when you combine bus gates instead of jet bridges, you realize that it doesn’t really make much sense to stay with Thai. They’re also consistently more expensive.
I can see that they have a huge problem with their cost structure. Need to have a look at the annual results but I wouldn’t be surprised by high SG&A costs and also high OPEX due to old and gas guzzling planes (those old 772 and 773 for regional routes are not the most efficient...)
Old May 29, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA/AA
BP reports Thai is diversifying their business by branching out into frozen airline food entrees under the Royal Orchid Gourmet Brand name with plans to go global.
Sounds great for when I get those cravings for airplane food.
Who is the target market ? This will surely overcome the massive operating losses.

Https://bangkokpost.com/business/tou...-for-consumers

Last edited by Paiteaw; May 29, 2019 at 9:36 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Those who have been gifted with that crap sandwich and cake they serve on short routes like BKK-HAN will appreciate... What a disgrace. Especially in Thailand... There's so much potential for improvement in F&B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.