Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI: News

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 1:42 am

Having recently experiencing chicken in brown sauce, I'm now convinced someone is rummaging through waste food bins and supplies Thai with their inflight meals in Y.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tg911
Having recently experiencing chicken in brown sauce, I'm now convinced someone is rummaging through waste food bins and supplies Thai with their inflight meals in Y.
Having recently been presented with a domestic J meal which can best be described as a 7-11 ready-meal of pasta with a bit of chicken, I can only agree.. It is beyond me why they want to serve that crap instead of at least something Thai inspired.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Having recently been presented with a domestic J meal which can best be described as a 7-11 ready-meal of pasta with a bit of chicken, I can only agree.. It is beyond me why they want to serve that crap instead of at least something Thai inspired.
Same here... a simple som tum could probably cost less and would be arguably much tastier. Seriously...
Old May 30, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Disinto

Same here... a simple som tum could probably cost less and would be arguably much tastier. Seriously...
Exactly! I really do not understand the reasoning behind that one... I realise that, say, HKT is predominantly a tourist route, but surely the tourists flying TG do not come here to eat (crap) western food.. I am sure that would be only for the Thomas Cook/TUI/whatever they are called crowds..
Old May 30, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think domestic J has been delivered reasonably well over the years given the time constraints of short sectors. Even in Y.

In comparison , Air NZ domestic service is single class, with the only offering being water, tea or coffee, and a cookie or tiny pack of nacho chips. Our choice is seat only or seat+bag, and more/less flexibility. Food doesn’t really feature, although ‘business’ lounge access can be purchased through Koru Club (or via *G status)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 30, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
That is true that Y service in South-East Asia in general has been holding up quite well compared to that of more developed countries (the worst being in Europe, due to intense LCC pressure)
Old May 31, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
[left]
I don’t agree... their J class is extremely fragmented. I can count 5 seat generations (Cirrus, Evolys, Minipod, Solstys, Diamond) and you never know what you’re gonna get in case of aircraft swap. If your 77W gets swapped by a 773 or if your 789 gets swapped by a 788 or any other combination, this results in unhappy premium passengers. This plus the only passable catering doesn’t help compared to say, SQ, with a much more ambitious J class, even regionally.
There's a distinction here between regional and long haul. Long-haul you don't just get your 77W subbed by a 777 - the latter doesn't have the range. So yes, you could get your long-haul 1-2-1 subbed for a 2-2-2 (788), but not the end of the world given they're both still full flat.

There are very few airlines that have a perfect biz class - each usually has their pros and cons. I'd put TG firmly in the '1st tier' category.

Re 'western' meals on domestic sectors... most tourists will have been eating Thai food for the time they've been in Thailand. Sometimes it's nice to have a change (to western).
Thai-Kiwi and andyptrav like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
There's a distinction here between regional and long haul. Long-haul you don't just get your 77W subbed by a 777 - the latter doesn't have the range. So yes, you could get your long-haul 1-2-1 subbed for a 2-2-2 (788), but not the end of the world given they're both still full flat.

There are very few airlines that have a perfect biz class - each usually has their pros and cons. I'd put TG firmly in the '1st tier' category.

Re 'western' meals on domestic sectors... most tourists will have been eating Thai food for the time they've been in Thailand. Sometimes it's nice to have a change (to western).
Touché – on intercontinental flights (except Oceania) you’re unlikely to get non direct aisle access seats. And I have to revise my judgment, just tried again à Rockwell Collins Minipod on their 772 and it wasn’t too bad for a 4-hour sector. The cabin certainly feels very airy without cocoons.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Fuel Surcharge

Thai Airways International Public Company (THAI) will reduce the fuel surcharge on all routes, as of 11 June 2019.
Mr. Wiwat Piyawiroj, THAI Executive Vice President, Commercial, said that THAI will reduce the fuel surcharge on all routes based on actual distance flown, beginning on 11 June 2019. For more information, customers may visit thaiairways.com or inquire with the THAI Sales Offices and travel agents throughout the country or call the THAI Contact Center at Tel. 02-356-1111 (24 hours a day). (official PR release from today)

interesting - but no hint yet by how much they will deduct it...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
Thai Airways International Public Company (THAI) will reduce the fuel surcharge on all routes, as of 11 June 2019.
Mr. Wiwat Piyawiroj, THAI Executive Vice President, Commercial, said that THAI will reduce the fuel surcharge on all routes based on actual distance flown, beginning on 11 June 2019. For more information, customers may visit thaiairways.com or inquire with the THAI Sales Offices and travel agents throughout the country or call the THAI Contact Center at Tel. 02-356-1111 (24 hours a day). (official PR release from today)

interesting - but no hint yet by how much they will deduct it...
I'm scratching my head... Why would they do that now, after publishing abysmal 2018 results?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm scratching my head... Why would they do that now, after publishing abysmal 2018 results?
However, the reduced fuel surcharge will be offset by a substantial fare increase . . . .
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:13 am

Recently got an involuntary downgrade from F to J on an AP reward ticket. After contacting AP a few times to attempt a reroute on other TG F flights, three of which are currently still showing reward and revenue availability, and the agents having no success, they finally informed me today that, "Thai is phasing out First Class." I've tried googling to see if there was any news on it, but came up empty.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Recently got an involuntary downgrade from F to J on an AP reward ticket. After contacting AP a few times to attempt a reroute on other TG F flights, three of which are currently still showing reward and revenue availability, and the agents having no success, they finally informed me today that, "Thai is phasing out First Class." I've tried googling to see if there was any news on it, but came up empty.
By downgrade F to J, do you mean you were bumped from the F cabin? or was there an aircraft change with no F cabin? These are very diffrent things.

We dont know if TG is releasing less award space to partners, or if there is less award space overall, or if thier release strategy has changed (eg release seats nearer the flight date).

Overall, there is a sense that for some reason, the previously plentiful availability of F and J award seats on TG has now reduced.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
By downgrade F to J, do you mean you were bumped from the F cabin? or was there an aircraft change with no F cabin? These are very diffrent things.

We dont know if TG is releasing less award space to partners, or if there is less award space overall, or if thier release strategy has changed (eg release seats nearer the flight date).

Overall, there is a sense that for some reason, the previously plentiful availability of F and J award seats on TG has now reduced.
There was initially an aircraft change. I tried rerouting to different TG F flights to Japan and despite showing availability, Thai refused ticketing on award and even on revenue. Finally AP just came out and told me that Thai is phasing out F and that's why they could not complete a booking.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
There was initially an aircraft change. I tried rerouting to different TG F flights to Japan and despite showing availability, Thai refused ticketing on award and even on revenue. Finally AP just came out and told me that Thai is phasing out F and that's why they could not complete a booking.
Interesting. How far out is the booking? Could you provide the week of travel - I'm curious to look what ROP tells me is available.

Since you are booking through AeroPlan (?), and presumably this is far enough away that TG don't control the booking, this fundamentally is a matter for AeroPlan to work with you on. If partner availability changes, I don't think you have a case for arguing you should get a revenue ticket/seat from TG, unless AeroPlan is willing to pay (they won't be). Unfortunate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.