Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI: News

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sadly Reuters summarizes the situation. If fuel price remains high, this will be a bloodbath for TG
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
interview with TG's new CEO

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...ons-turnaroundNew THAI boss envisions turnaround

Sumeth Damrongchaitham, 53, was officially appointed last month as president of Thai Airways International Plc
His challenge is to turn around the loss-making national carrier, one of six financially ailing state firms that have been placed in business rehabilitation as required by the State Enterprise Policy Commission. The others are the State Railway of Thailand, the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority, TOT Plc, CAT Telecom and the Islamic Bank of Thailand.
Mr Sumeth sat down with the Bangkok Post to talk about his plans for his new role and the progress of a new joint venture: a maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facility at U-tapao airport.
When do you expect to propose THAI's rehabilitation plan to the government?
We expect to finish the rehabilitation plan before December this year, as required by Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who visited THAI's office in September and ordered the plan's conclusion within three months.
THAI's rehab plan aims to raise income from the airline business, catering, and the MRO facility at U-tapao airport, aiming to develop one of the most advanced MRO centres in the world.
The airline business sees relatively stiff competition because of rising numbers of airlines and air routes.
The market share of THAI fell to 27% this year from 37% in the past five years. The rehab plan needs to increase market share, which is possible as the airline business grows by only 3% annually.......(cont..)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...ons-turnaroundNew THAI boss envisions turnaround

We expect to finish the rehabilitation plan before December this year, as required by Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who visited THAI's office in September and ordered the plan's conclusion within three months.
THAI's rehab plan aims to raise income from the airline business, catering, and the MRO facility at U-tapao airport, aiming to develop one of the most advanced MRO centres in the world.
This is so funny ....
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
typical for state run company...maybe the Minister also commanded to achieve 2019 a profit of x Billion Baht (not more and not less), but that remains confident...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
So has anyone seen the news where a pilot refuses to fly until his friend was upgraded to J? A paying passenger was removed to accommodate his friend, also causing a 2h delay.

That's what I got from social media, but my Thai isn't that great so maybe some others can shed some light.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Here is a news article in Thai:
https://today.line.me/th/article/เจอ...ป-7jZxYk
https://www.matichon.co.th/economy/news_1185531

My wife has summarised this as “dead-heading pilots wanting business class seats”. One couple apparently finally agreed to give up their J seats so the aircraft could finally depart.

Added. The flight was ZHR-BKK on 11Oct. THAI posted an apology for the delay. https://translate.googleusercontent....UDSxpuGcXhybBg

I would value an English language version of this story.....

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 18, 2018 at 10:49 pm Reason: added another link
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, the BKK Post version in english:

“The incident reportedly involved THAI flight TG971 from Zurich to Bangkok on Oct 11. It was scheduled to depart at 1.30pm but the duty pilots refused to take off unless some first-class passengers agreed to give up their seats to two THAI pilots deadheading to Bangkok.

All first-class passengers initially refused to do so. After about two hours of delay, a couple finally vacated their seats so the flight could depart...”

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...seats-for-crew
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
We're the 2 passengers put into J or did they not fly at all?
Either way, bet these guys keep their job.
​​​​​
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oh_lol
We're the 2 passengers put into J or did they not fly at all?
Either way, bet these guys keep their job.
​​​​​
The aircraft was a 747, but I assume F was NOT sold on this sector (i.e. F cabin and J service) based on ExpertFlyer information.

Assuming J service using the F cabin, and also assuming the F/J cabin was full, then I suppose the pax were pushed back to economy - otherwise why the fuss? I cannot imagine such a fuss if it was just 2 pax being reallocated from F seats to J seats in this circumstance.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Disgraceful.

The article in the Bangkok Post states that the Thai Airways International President has apologized to the two passengers who gave up their first class seats.

Edited to add: This is the article Thai-Kiwi has referenced to above.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; Oct 19, 2018 at 12:18 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The aircraft was a 747, but I assume F was NOT sold on this sector (i.e. F cabin and J service) based on ExpertFlyer information.
you are correct, F is not sold on this route!
however flight control should have organized those 2 seats before check in and then things would go smooth and not escalate.
It is a rather arrogant behavior of the pilots. Instead of a lame apology, TG's president should take disciplinary action against all 4!!!
restlessinRNO and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: MP
The Civil Aviation Training Center just came to back the pilot that they should be entitled to those J seats... and that the deadhead pilot needs "proper rest" to resume duty after landing (there is no mention whether they actually really have to fly afterwards). They claim that it's TG's fault for not providing the pilots the benefits they deserve.

Meanwhile, the pilots are looking to press charges for being "defamed" in the matter.

Personally, I have no problem with deadhead pilots bumping pax from J class. However, I have a problem with pilots taking the entire pax as hostage to negotiate internal dispute.

Very unprofessional. Yet, very THAI.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BinSabai
you are correct, F is not sold on this route!
however flight control should have organized those 2 seats before check in and then things would go smooth and not escalate.
It is a rather arrogant behavior of the pilots. Instead of a lame apology, TG's president should take disciplinary action against all 4!!!
A 747 was utilized on that day (HS-TGZ) that's why there were F seats.
I guess those two who gave up their seats didn't actually paid for "F" or "A" or even "O" to begin with, that's why they were willing to give up their seats.
I definitely wouldn't (give up my seat) if I had paid for it. If the plane is delayed, so be it.

Those arrogant idiots (including the captain) knew this, that's why they were so persistent in getting the seats.
Why would they do this, knowing that in this day and age it would become big news and create a big back lash against the airline and themselves?

You are right, a lame apology is simply not enough. This kind of behavior would not be tolerated if it happened on any US carrier. A job suspension, pending a full investigation would be the very least that should be done.
A disgrace termination, without benefits, is what really should happen!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by pon18n
The Civil Aviation Training Center just came to back the pilot that they should be entitled to those J seats... and that the deadhead pilot needs "proper rest" to resume duty after landing (there is no mention whether they actually really have to fly afterwards). They claim that it's TG's fault for not providing the pilots the benefits they deserve.

Meanwhile, the pilots are looking to press charges for being "defamed" in the matter.

Personally, I have no problem with deadhead pilots bumping pax from J class. However, I have a problem with pilots taking the entire pax as hostage to negotiate internal dispute..
they demanded F seats, not J seats!
and yes they blackmailed and took hostage airline, pax and the airport, which is very busy at this time of day

charges against whom for being "defamed"?
if this is the case, the president of TG should FIRE them!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely TG would know if J was oversold prior, and have time to make alternate arrangements prior to boarding as BinSabai commented.

Also, it would very interesting to know with certainty if the two paying pax were bumped to Y, or another J seat. It sounds as if there were no volunteers to be bumped, so knowing bumped to where is an important question.

Finally, I wonder if there were any TIPs or other company pax in J? The 747 can carry qute a few in F/J combined. The latter should usually be the first bumped... but TiT.
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.