Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade award on Thai and devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by travelislife
Aus to BKK I don't think at all.
Didn't this one actually go down in the UA deval??
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Didn't this one actually go down in the UA deval??
Yes, this is the only award region, IIRC, that was a change I liked. It went from 80 or 90K in C to 60K r/t.

Alas I drained 1.2M miles from my UA account in the last 1.5 years and have practically nothing left.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I am aware of the devaluation, my post was poorly worded. I was thinking how much that award might have cost using UA miles before their devaluation, for example.
I am quite sure no ff change their redeemption rate by 100% within 1 change
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lingua101
TG proofed you wrong!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lingua101
UA recently topped out with an 86% increase in select regions but TG definitely topped that.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: TG*G VA Plat
Originally Posted by hgp
The night is always darkest before the dawn! Doubling of the redemption rates, while increasing earn rates by significantly less, is a bit of a kick in the teeth, but perhaps the ROP program was too generous for too long? Please don't flame... I'm just throwing the idea on the table!

On the face of it, the 1 Sep 2014 changes to ROP don't look good (in fact, they look really bad) and will be enough, I suspect, for many to switch their business away from TG. However, I'm hopeful there are announcements yet to come and the final implementation of the changes will not be as dire as they seems right now.

Just had a chat to the incredibly helpful person on my local ROP desk and she says:
* GUPs/PUPs will be retained, but not clear yet if there will be any changes;
* Impact on taxes/surcharges still to be confirmed (will they be included?); and
* TG is still finalising the scope of the changes and ironing out some anomalies

For example, presently Aus/BKK/Europe rtn in J costs 170k (both TG and *A award). Under the new scheme, the same flight will cost 340k for a *A award, but around 450k for a TG award (as Aus/BKK and BKK/Eur will be costed as two separate redemption flights).

It's a bit concerning these changes will have the biggest, unfavourable impact on some of the most loyal flyers... but I'm willing to wait a bit and see what transpires.
You've been drinking far too much of the koolaid big fella. I think this will be the nail in the coffin for ROP. I had been loyal to then for about 10 years but last year switched everything to Virgin Australia and last year accrued about 300,000 points. Blooody glad I didn't throw them all TGs way now!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by BinSabai
TG proofed you wrong!
I mean of course other than TG
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
UA recently topped out with an 86% increase in select regions but TG definitely topped that.
Funnily enough, I had decided to switch to ROP from UA for my primary *alliance FFP until TG announced this devaluation. UA is now by comparison a much better program, and miles do not expire.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:10 am

I've held ROP Gold for more than 15 years. That's it for me. I also hold an SQ Silver card, so from here on out, I will just accumulate miles there. SQ give 25% Gold bonus, so that's something.

I like to use awards in C class to LAX for myself and my wife.

TG: 340,00 miles r/t

SQ: 160,000 miles r/t for a saver award or 240,000 miles for a standard award - on TG!

I guess these two words apply to myself as well as many others:

1. Burn

2. Dump
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:26 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by Airbumps
You've been drinking far too much of the koolaid big fella. I think this will be the nail in the coffin for ROP. I had been loyal to then for about 10 years but last year switched everything to Virgin Australia and last year accrued about 300,000 points. Blooody glad I didn't throw them all TGs way now!
Well, with today's official announcement in the ROP news, I'm not drinking the koolaid any more and suspect you're right about the "nail in the coffin" for some/many flyers. In fact, I'm going to have to do some serious calculations to work out just how much worse off I'll be (and offset that against the great service I get from my local TG ROP desk)

I'm staggered at what TG has done and wonder how well they have modelled the consumer behaviour as a result of this change.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hgp
how well they have modelled the consumer behaviour as a result of this change.
They did not. TG is effectively a state owned enterprise and not really bound to be profitable (it would be nice but hey... )

Consumer behavior is definitely not in their decision making. I am very sure that these decisions have been driven purely on a 'math' basis - recalculating costs and hence making the ROP program more profitable - on the assumptions that consumers of course do not react to this.

It's almost like a kid with a lemonade booth selling 10 units a day at a dollar. Kid realizes it needs $20 instead of $10, so just charge $2 instead of $1 - problem solved :-)
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by TheHansTheDampf
They did not. TG is effectively a state owned enterprise and not really bound to be profitable (it would be nice but hey... )

Consumer behavior is definitely not in their decision making. I am very sure that these decisions have been driven purely on a 'math' basis - recalculating costs and hence making the ROP program more profitable - on the assumptions that consumers of course do not react to this.

It's almost like a kid with a lemonade booth selling 10 units a day at a dollar. Kid realizes it needs $20 instead of $10, so just charge $2 instead of $1 - problem solved :-)
This is a very common thought in Thai business models I feel!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
They responded to my email with the standard stuff about the new levels being comparable to purchased tickets (I still don't really get this but they must have given a point a THB value and then compared it to their revenue fares) and spruiked the increased earn.

They then finished with the following:

"Our management has received many comments and acknowledged all affected issues caused by these new award charts.

During this time, the management is considering if there is anything we could improve more in order to enhance and

add value to our services to ensure satisfaction of all members and customers as many as possible.

We would like to thank you for your valued feedbacks regarding this issue."
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer

They then finished with the following:
"Our management has received many comments and acknowledged all affected issues caused by these new award charts.
During this time, the management is considering if there is anything we could improve more in order to enhance and add value to our services to ensure satisfaction of all members and customers as many as possible.
...then go ahead and write them again!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold

During this time, the management is considering if there is anything we could improve more in order to enhance and

add value to our services to ensure satisfaction of all members and customers as many as possible.

Tell then for starters they should fire EVERY ONE of the idiots that were involved in the decision making into this and other recent ROP fiascoes. Of course that'll never happen, but it's nice to dream.

For Thai ROP members who aren't comfortable with other FFP's that don't directly/fully support Thai speaking customers, or who aren't knowledgeable of other FFP's, and that they can credit TG flights to, perhaps they'll just stick it out with the new changes. For anyone else though, I doubt they'll have many customers sticking around, other than perhaps some Platinum members who fly mostly premium classes and aren't quite as affected by the changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.