Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:55 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by pvn
2nd on this, very annoying
Guys, I'm really pushing tech on this. I set the problem to our highest priority.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:56 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I wanted to "Like" this post, but the same problem with the "Like" functions exists with this new formatting... that is, after you like 1 or 2 posts, the Like feature stops working. I have logged out of FT and come back in and it still doesn't work.

A good example of how IB is putting form over function.

IB should stop fixating on rolling out a new formatting that only a small minority like and, instead, focus on making the site work.
Wasn't aware of this. I will test and report. Anyone else having this trouble?

EDIT: No problem liking up to 10 posts.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:59 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by cruisr
Why is this thread no longer showing in the “trending”. It should be based on the views and activity in it,
is it being buried? I had to go to the tech thread to find it again.
Trending Threads are based on an algorithm that takes into account thread creation date. It simply got a little too old and was automatically removed, there was no human intervention.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:59 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have tried to reach this thread several times from links in the DL forum.

About half of the time, the link URL is displayed, and clicking it gets a Page Not Found error.

If I refresh the page, the link title is then displayed, rather than the URL. When I click the title, I get here successfully.

This has occurred multiple times, for the same link.
Could you please supply me with one of the links where this URL was posted and not working?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:06 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Lev
When I use Google Chrome the "Forum Jump" is partially covered by the banner advertisement down the right side of the page. As a consequence the click arrow that brings up all of the forums is obstructed meaning I have to use a slower scrolling process.
Also Forum Jump has disappeared from the bottom of individual threads, so I now have to go back before I can jump to a different Forum within of FT.
Forum Jump still appears in threads for both my admin account and my regular user test account (pictured). I was only able to trigger the ad to cover the FJ menu when I was zoomed in, so it may be a resolution issue.

Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
As far as underlining links go, I'm relatively sure all your team needs to do is go into the flyertalk.com.css file and change this:

a{color:#000;line-height:inherit;text-decoration:none}

to this:

a{color:#000;line-height:inherit;text-decoration:underline}
It doesn't even have to be that complicated. <a> elements default to underline. Just take out the "text-decoration:none" property-value pair. While you're at it, take out the "color:#000" as well, and voilà! You're back to links that look like everyone, including FT's entire user community, expects links to look.

By the way - any reply to Post #304 yet?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Well, I first said that the changes suck. Which they certainly did. But I must say whatever fixes have been applied recently have improved the readability on an iPhone, at least.

Still prefer the old way (from months ago before the last changes), but it's better at least.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Although I may be in the minority, I like the larger, clearer format. It’s easier on the eyes.

The new format has not corrected the ongoing problem I have with writing replies. When I am entering a reply on my iPad the text box slides up under the formatting band so that I cannot see what I am writing or can see only the bottom edge of the line I’m typing. I can pull the text down to read it, but as soon as I begin typing it slides back up. This is extremely annoying. I think I’ve seen a couple of other complaints about this, so I don’t think it is an anomaly peculiar to my device.
This is still happening on my iPad Pro, running safari and using the full FT website, not the mobile version. I've also disabled infinite scroll, from the beginning when it was first introduced, so I don't think it's related to the problem.

For me, it started with the last update and sometimes does not happen, but if anything it's worse with this update.

Here are a couple other random problems:

On my desktop PC using google chrome, today the "news" button is showing in the old style.

On multipage threads, the page numbers at the top and bottom of each page look almost the same for the bolded number (current page) versus all the other numbers. You cannot easily see what page you're reading, although I guess you could calculate the number of the current page from the number of the post you see at the top or bottom of the page.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 28, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:43 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by Efrem
By the way - any reply to Post #304 yet?
Yes, I've asked tech to fix that. Sorry, there are a lot of posts mentioning the same things that I reply to. Not that I expect everyone to read all 400 posts, some just slip through the cracks when they've already been brought up.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Yes, I've asked tech to fix that. Sorry, there are a lot of posts mentioning the same things that I reply to. Not that I expect everyone to read all 400 posts, some just slip through the cracks when they've already been brought up.
Maybe a Wiki is in order.
Zorak likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

It seems to be an intermittent issue for me.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Good to see IBJoel in here.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don’t know if this has been posted before but the mobile experience with the new look is even worse than before.

Why is the text of posts so large now? I can only see a single post on my screen at at time and the problem isn’t my phone or it’s settings.

Yet when I go to make a post, the text box and text is micro, I can barely read it as I type.

And for effs sake why haven’t you all solved the problem of the text disappearing up and under the formatting bar when making or editing a post? Can’t even see the text as I type. I have to pull the text down after typing to check my work. This is unbelievably annoying and ridiculous.

And the problem still remains of ads tearing away from the sidebar and blocking the screen when you pinch in to zoom.

FT is essentially unusable on mobile and there is no excuse for it.

Last edited by anrkitec; Mar 28, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:51 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamirD
Good to see IBJoel in here.
+1
Also good to see some constructive but clearly critical messages getting 'liked' by an admin -- although on reflection they're probably just testing the 'like' function.
Xyzzy and IBJoel like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Buster
You're right. The Virgin America board used to be slightly indented to make it clearer that it was sub-board of the Alaska board, but now it looks to be basically in-line, so we've lost that distinction.
@IBJoel, can I bring your attention to this issue again? I don't see that you've acknowledged it, and it's actually fairly important. Thanks.

Originally Posted by david55
So that begs the question...is anyone who can make changes reading these comments? And to whom can the comments be directly addressed to? or is this the only forum or place to vent?
Yes, this is the designated place to provide feedback to and engage in discussion with the forum admins, who are entirely separate from your volunteer moderators that have no control over the technical workings of the site.

Originally Posted by SamirD
Ah, I forgot about the IB connection, and that does explain why the platform hasn't changed. Still, that being said I'm surprised that the newer elements from vb4/5 haven't been incorporated.
The word I've heard is that vB4 and 5 are mostly about social integrations and the actual underlying software structure is much less scalable and stable. For a huge forum like FT (millions of posts and users), vB4/5 are really not the best solution, and unfortunately, the vB product development team seems uninterested in or unable to work to develop an industry-leading and appealing product that's also stable...

I noticed the issue in this very thread, where after going through ~200 posts and occasionally liking ones that I agreed with, the Like button ceased functioning. I didn't try any measures to restore the functionality, but I can add a data point that I'm witnessing it breaking.

BTW, I'm finding it hysterical that people are screaming so loudly that OMG THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER AND MY HEAD HURTS!!!! when there are also so many people posting that they actually find the redesign an improvement and leading to more clarity. I guess the old adage that you can't please everybody is absolutely true.

Personally, I think the redesign is a big step in the right direction, and we're at least up to somewhere like 2012 rather than 2002 like we were before. A few design ideas and elements could probably stand to be addressed, but it's like 80-90% there, IMO. For all the Luddites who hate Web 2.0 design...sorry, not sorry.
ashill and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.