Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

There are a lot of NYC area items that come up that would benefit from being in the NYC forum, but that are not actually in NYC. I am not sure of what the best way to delineate the area is, but I know that the current NYC forum really (to me) only means the 5 boroughs of NYC. Since the area is more than just that, other items either end up in the Middle Atlantic forum or stay somewhere else and are therefore not really in the proper place.

I see this frequently on the Continental forum, where topics relating to Newark and how to get to/from EWR could benefit from a geographic forum rather than an airline-specific one. But, since they are not in NYC they can't go there and if moved to Middle Atlantic the topics will just disappear into the ether. Renaming the NYC forum would go a long way towards solving this problem.

I note that the Washington DC forum specifically includes Baltimore. We should do something similar for NYC.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I would suggest NYC/NY State, from Long Island in the south, to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, to Niagara Falls. Currently, this forum gets some NY State questions.

To modify xyzzy's comment, maybe a sub-title to say this forum also talks about all New York area airports.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I see two possibilities:

1. "New York Metropolitan Area"

2. "Brooklyn and its suburbs"
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:04 pm

If you want to include the suburbs of NYC, then just state that: "NYC and suburbs" or "NYC metropolitan area". If you want to rename it to include, NJ, CT, Westchester, Rockland, Long Island....that's a bit verbose.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by Analise
If you want to include the suburbs of NYC, then just state that: "NYC and suburbs" or "NYC metropolitan area".
Either of those works for me. I think that the second is better.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
1. "New York Metropolitan Area"
I'm OK with this too.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where shall we put questions relating to New York State?

How about adding... and the rest of the state to the above.

...or, just add and the rest of the state to NYC/NY State, from Long Island in the south, to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, to Niagara Falls. Currently, this forum gets some NY State questions.

To read... 'NYC/NY State, from Long Island in the south, to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, to Niagara Falls. To include the Metro NY area and airports, and it's suburbs (including close in New Jersey).

Last edited by dhammer53; Jul 7, 2007 at 3:38 pm
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Where shall we put questions relating to New York State?
Ignoring the facetious comments, I would answer as follows. The questions relating to areas within the NYC metropolitan area belong in the forum that is being discussed. Those related to the rest of NY State, the rest of NJ, and the rest of Connecticut, for that matter, belong in the Mid-Atlantic forum.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The NYC forum has always been on the receiving end of NY State questions; and, logically so. Niagara Falls wouldn't be considered Mid-Atlantic. Same goes for the Hudson Valley, Albany, and Connecticut. If anything, CT belongs in the New England forum.

Personally, the NY forum gets very little NY State posts. Posters post to the forum because they think it's the correct place to post. That's why I suggested above modifying the name of the current forum. @:-)

xyzzy, when it comes to New York, I never kid.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think we both agree that the existing NYC forum could use a broader title.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by xyzzy
...NYC forum could use a broader title.
I agree.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like a simple request. What ever happed to this?

dh
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I don't think you really reached a clear consensus on what you wanted, and I, knowing nothing about NY geography, would always defer to the residents on this!

The end result seems to have been 'We think the NYC forum title needs to be changed'. More guidance to us required please!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
As a former resident of both New York and Pennsylvania, and somebody who worked as a reporter in New Jersey, I am very familiar with the area.

Much of northern New Jersey is, indeed, part of the New York metropolitan area. On the other hand, southern New Jersey is much more aligned with Philadelphia.

To include Cherry Hill or Atlantic City as part of a New York forum would be laughable.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Dovster makes good points.

While I wouldn't see any problem with changing the forum title to, say, "Greater NYC Area" forum, I don't think it's necessary because I think this tends to be a "self-regulating" issue.

Posters know -- or learn from reading the forum -- what "the area" plausibly covers. The "Los Angeles" forum tends to function in this self-regulating way; threads about, say, Palmdale qualify, but threads about Santa Barbara don't. If someone thinks a thread is misplaced (e.g., Atlantic City topic in NYC) then an RBP will quickly get the matter dealt with and the thread moved to the correct forum (many of the geographic forums are de facto moderated by the senior mods who receive the RBPs for those forums). This will just continue to help make clear what is the plausible "greater area" for the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.