Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by sbm12
They can, but I don't think they should. Otherwise possibly the Poconos and the Delaware Water Gap area should, too (based on proximity, recreational features, etc.).

Limiting it to the 5 boroughs is counterproductive and we already go beyond that with coverage of Newark and EWR in the forum on a de facto basis. Covering the entirety of NY State might work but then you're still not including NJ or southern Connecticut, areas that absolutely are part of the NYC tri-state metro area.

At the end of the day I think everyone who lives in or who has even frequented the NYC area knows about what is included in the area and what is outside of it. Maybe some quibbles over whether the Hamptons and New Haven (both connected by commuter rail) are included or not, but that's relatively small potatoes compared to the strict interpretation that it is only the city proper.
I would just add... and the rest of the state. @:-)

Originally Posted by Dovster
I would say that the Borscht Belt is part of the NYC Metropolitan Area but cities like Port Jervis, Middletown, and Monticello are not. Geography is not really what determines this -- mentality is.
Dov, If Monticello isn't part of the Borscht Belt, then I don't know what is. There were plenty of BB hotels in Monticello. PJ, Middletown; and Monticello had plenty of cuck-a-lanes. No way I can spell that. For those of you that don't understand, this expression is used as a small bungalow that a family used for the summer in the Catskills. Multiple dwelling would be on top of each other. Meager and sparse would be an understatement.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
At the end of the day I think everyone who lives in or who has even frequented the NYC area knows about what is included in the area and what is outside of it.
Nothing more needs to be said. ^

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Dov, If Monticello isn't part of the Borscht Belt, then I don't know what is. There were plenty of BB hotels in Monticello. PJ, Middletown; and Monticello had plenty of cuck-a-lanes. No way I can spell that. For those of you that don't understand, this expression is used as a small bungalow that a family used for the summer in the Catskills. Multiple dwelling would be on top of each other. Meager and sparse would be an understatement.
Lest anyone think this is a combination cockfighting ring--bowling alley, the original German expression is "Kochen allein."

For further information, take a look at The New Joys of Yiddish: Completely Updated By Rosten and Bush on Page 185.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would just add... and the rest of the state. @:-)
The problem with this approach is that you exclude NJ and CT areas that do belong in the forum and include a rather huge swath of upstate NY (real upstate, not just the places that people who have never left NYC call upstate like Westchester County ) that doesn't really belong in that forum.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
the original German expression is "Kochen allein."
You learn something every day on Flyertalk. ^

The problem with this approach is that you exclude NJ and CT areas that do belong in the forum and include a rather huge swath of upstate NY (real upstate, not just the places that people who have never left NYC call upstate like Westchester County ) that doesn't really belong in that forum.
Look. Let's cut to the chase. Who cares about NJ and CT.

NY Metro area to include NJ and CT, along with the rest of NY State.

The great minds here in this forum need to come up with a recommendation for TB.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Having great, great fun reading that book now. Thanks for the link!

(I'm waiting until Google Books cuts me off...then I might have to go buy it! )
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
You learn something every day on Flyertalk. ^

Look. Let's cut to the chase. Who cares about NJ and CT.

NY Metro area to include NJ and CT, along with the rest of NY State.

The great minds here in this forum need to come up with a recommendation for TB.
Exactly! ^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
BTW - it would help TB members if you all could come up w/ what you want this to be named vs us picking one

I'm sure during the 2 week period of comments some of the same geography stuff will be rehashed there, but we need something to start. Just sayin...

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by jackal
Having great, great fun reading that book now. Thanks for the link!

(I'm waiting until Google Books cuts me off...then I might have to go buy it! )
I have the original book, both the English and French versions. As noted in the introduction, you do not have to be Jewish to like the book. It has some great jokes. If you're still online, take a look at the first joke for the definition of "nar" (should really be "naar") on Page 263. I have told this joke in many different languages (with others translating) and lots of people have laughed.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I have the original book, both the English and French versions. As noted in the introduction, you do not have to be Jewish to like the book. It has some great jokes. If you're still online, take a look at the first joke for the definition of "nar" (should really be "naar") on Page 263. I have told this joke in many different languages (with others translating) and lots of people have laughed.
Pages 238 through 265 are missing from my preview...

Guess I need to buy it.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And back to our regularly scheduled topic

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
BTW - it would help TB members if you all could come up w/ what you want this to be named vs us picking one
With a smattering of Yiddish asides, I believe we are.

Naming it one thing while having it reflect a geography that is materially different - like right now - is a pretty poor way to handle the situation. We need to settle on a few key decisions, including whether anything outside commuter range from NYC is included, before choosing a name makes sense.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

I'm sure during the 2 week period of comments some of the same geography stuff will be rehashed there, but we need something to start. Just sayin...

Cheers.
I think Greater NYC Area or NYC Metropolitan Area makes the most sense. Most, if not all people, visiting NJ, or Long Island, know it's in the vicinity of NYC. The description should change from double echo or whatever it is to "NYC, NJ, Long Island, Westchester..." well, that would be the geography debate
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: HH Silver
I see the protracted name debate I feared wouldn't happen actually happened. Big surprise.

Just call it NYC & Area and leave it to everyone's imaginations as to whether than includes NJ & CT or not.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:05 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Analise
That's the best suggestion yet. That so-called forum "description" has always sounded at best silly and at worst moronic.
Personally, I never liked that description either.

My vote would be to retain the New York City forum name and change the description along the lines of nerd's suggestion to: Includes greater NYC metropolitan area.

(Officially, the OMB calls it the "New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-CT-PA Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area" )
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As I'm from Westchester I'd like "Tri State Area" but I would imagine most out of towners wouldn't understand that phrase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.