Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
SkiAdcock, I concur! (about your name proposals)

Originally Posted by Dovster
The NYC area stopped being "great" the minute the Dodgers left. (The Giants going to San Francisco just emphasized that fact.)

Therefore, call it the "New York Metropolitan Area".

(Incidentally, back in the late 60's and early 70's, the academic "in" crowd liked to talk about the "Megapolis" -- which stretched from Boston to Washington. I think we can safely discard that one.)
I was actually thinking about the Megalopolis during the thread! We should make a single forum for whole Northeast Megalopolis.

Originally Posted by Dovster
Let's put this on hold until Hurricane Irene is over -- just to be certain that there still is a New York metropolitan area.
Don't joke...I'm supposed to fly on Sunday! (EWR-TLV)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Let me say this again: the current title of New York City forum is not broken. Do not "fix" it.

Changing the descriptive subtitle to the forum is another story.

I am sure I am not the only frequent and regular contributor to the forum who resents what we perceive as an intrusion into our forum, especially from those of you from thousands of miles away who never post anything there. What's your "skin in the game" other than meddling?

Consider our wishes. I will not be posting to a "New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania Forum." (Include Vermont and maybe we can talk.)

I could ask for a Brooklyn Forum, given the proliferation of guidebooks devoted solely to my home borough, but I think this thread is becoming sillier every day.

New York City Forum with a descriptive subtitle. Enough already!
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
We want to accomplish two objectives:

1. Define the area to be covered.

2. Accurately describe this area to newbies.

There may be some disagreement on (1), leading to arguments on (2). So let's discuss that.

It seems to me that the consensus on (1) is NYC and suburbs within commuting distance. Does anyone disagree on that?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
OK... you're going to shoot me about this... but define commuting distance

I know people who commute to NYC daily from Philly. Seriously. The train ride isn't that long.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mary2e
OK... you're going to shoot me about this... but define commuting distance

I know people who commute to NYC daily from Philly. Seriously. The train ride isn't that long.
I was thinking approximately 50 miles. Oh, and one more thing...

BANG!

Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
It seems to me that the consensus on (1) is NYC and suburbs within commuting distance. Does anyone disagree on that?
I second this question and am watching this thread closely.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by nsx
We want to accomplish two objectives:

1. Define the area to be covered.

2. Accurately describe this area to newbies.

There may be some disagreement on (1), leading to arguments on (2). So let's discuss that.

I'd agree that it's not worth the effort trying to draw exact boundaries around a specific area. People post to the wrong forums all the time and will continue to do so if their question applies to something slightly outside an arbitrary boundary.

As others have suggested, commuting distance is an ill-defined metric. Lots of people commute from New Haven (72 miles), northeastern PA (70+ miles), and a few even from Montauk (120 miles). Should Hartford, CT be on topic (117 miles)? And Philadelphia is only 95 miles...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:31 am

I know that FT tries very hard to keep forums regionally correct, however, I'm thinking that in this case, we might try to rearrange the regions

Instead of a NYC forum, how about a NY, NJ & CT forum? That would leave no question as to where topics about those states would belong. A line in the Mid Atlantic and New England forum descriptions could direct people there.

The reason I say this is that most people can answer questions about all 3 areas. I looked at the other forums, and it's basically the same people responding to questions.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I know people who commute to NYC daily from Philly.
That is insane.

Normal people live in Bucks County, PA, about 30 minutes north of Philly and get on the train either in Trenton or at Princeton Junction.

(I never did it on a daily basis, but for several years seemed to make that trip at least twice a week.)
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Instead of a NYC forum, how about a NY, NJ & CT forum? That would leave no question as to where topics about those states would belong. A line in the Mid Atlantic and New England forum descriptions could direct people there.

The reason I say this is that most people can answer questions about all 3 areas. I looked at the other forums, and it's basically the same people responding to questions.
Not a bad idea. By saying NY instead of NYC, we're still covering all of NY State. I'd adjust your comment above and delete NJ and CT. @:-) But seriously...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Not a bad idea.
Every now and then I have one
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:28 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I will make one additional point in favor of retaining the name New York City forum and simply changing the description/subtitle, as nerd, Analise, and Landing Gear have all suggested upthread.

The vast majority of tourists, i.e.: those who are looking to ask questions in the NYC Forum on FlyerTalk, are visiting NYC proper (indeed, most don't even realize that NYC is anything beyond Manhattan ).

Here are some hard statistics on current threads in the NYC Forum (my settings are 25 threads per page, and as a moderator, I see some additional threads that have been removed):

Page 1) Currently, every single thread is about Manhattan or NYC transit/airports.

Page 2) Most threads again about the five boroughs or NYC transit/airports. Two threads about driving directions in the NYC area; one thread about water parks near NYC; one thread moved to Mid-Atlantic because the OP was asking for advice from ITH locals (FYI, ITH is a 4-hour drive from NYC*); one thread on NY driver licenses that remained in NYC because the OP was asking for advice from NYC locals.

Page 3) Most threads again about the five boroughs or NYC transit/airports. One thread about planning a roadtrip from NYC; one thread about getting from JFK to Eastern PA, which really turned out to be about NYC transit.

Page 4) Most threads again about Manhattan or NYC transit/airports. One thread about transportation from NYC to Albany; one thread about Niagara Falls that was moved to Mid-Atlantic (FYI, Niagara Falls is a 7-hour drive from NYC*).

Page 5) Most threads again about NYC transit/airports. One thread about ideas for daytrips from NYC.

*If you can fly a commercial airline there from NYC, I don't think it should be considered part of NYC!
Changing the name of the forum to address a 'problem' that relates to at most 5% of the threads in the forum (and I would guess <1% of the posts), seems unnecessary, IMHO. In addition, changing the name of the forum to something other than New York City would remove or detract from the special status that that specific name carries. Further, all other sub-forums in the US section are named for specific cities (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orlando, Washington, Chicago, Las Vegas), and it seems obvious that the metro areas are included.

Perhaps a better solution to consider is to change the name or description of the Mid-Atlantic Forum to something that better differentiates it from NYC, but more clearly includes some of the areas that dhammer53 has mentioned upthread.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nsx
For precision, it's hard to beat "New York and New Jersey".
Very precise, but not very accurate. Including South Jersey, Atlantic City and the Philly suburbs doesn't make much sense. Neither does including upstate NY.

Originally Posted by dhammer53
and the rest of the state should be mentioned, since we do get questions about New York State. @:-)
I disagree.
Originally Posted by untamed
I think it should only include NYC and areas within 50 miles around the city. It shouldn't include the whole NJ state or upstate of NY.
I'm not willing to prescribe a specific radius, but I agree in principle.
Instead of a NYC forum, how about a NY, NJ & CT forum? That would leave no question as to where topics about those states would belong.
How do you deal with Cherry Hill, NJ, which is in NJ but should really be included in discussion associated with Philly more than NYC.

I'm more and more inclined to not change the title of the forum and to trust the judgment of the moderator to know what is related to the NYC area and what is not. Just tweak the description and move on.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm leaning towards dstan's thoughts above - as they make the most amount of sense to me.

I don't think the title needs to be changed, but the description can be updated, IMHO (as the mod of that forum & others suggest). And as it seems that the TB doesn't really write or make recommendations about descriptions, my thought it is to leave it in the hands of the FT administration.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I'm leaning towards dstan's thoughts above - as they make the most amount of sense to me.

I don't think the title needs to be changed, but the description can be updated, IMHO (as the mod of that forum & others suggest). And as it seems that the TB doesn't really write or make recommendations about descriptions, my thought it is to leave it in the hands of the FT administration.
Yes, I think it is for dstan to lobby SanDiego1K on this change to the description.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.