Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't think about changes the titles from NYC to New York City Area. This is not good idea for you. I'm sure if you wants to changes the titles from NYC to New York City Area includes of New York State. It's will be best time to kept the current names for while. I think this is sound good logical choice for renames to New York City Area. I think that I will certainly agreed with you guys will changeable the titles.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There are a lot of NYC area items that come up that would benefit from being in the NYC forum, but that are not actually in NYC. I am not sure of what the best way to delineate the area is, but I know that the current NYC forum really (to me) only means the 5 boroughs of NYC. Since the area is more than just that, other items either end up in the Middle Atlantic forum or stay somewhere else and are therefore not really in the proper place.

I see this frequently on the Continental forum, where topics relating to Newark and how to get to/from EWR could benefit from a geographic forum rather than an airline-specific one. But, since they are not in NYC they can't go there and if moved to Middle Atlantic the topics will just disappear into the ether. Renaming the NYC forum would go a long way towards solving this problem.

I note that the Washington DC forum specifically includes Baltimore. We should do something similar for NYC.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I would suggest NYC/NY State, from Long Island in the south, to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, to Niagara Falls. Currently, this forum gets some NY State questions.

To modify xyzzy's comment, maybe a sub-title to say this forum also talks about all New York area airports.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think we both agree that the existing NYC forum could use a broader title.
Seems like a simple request. What ever happed to this?

dh
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Dovster makes good points.

While I wouldn't see any problem with changing the forum title to, say, "Greater NYC Area" forum, I don't think it's necessary because I think this tends to be a "self-regulating" issue.

Posters know -- or learn from reading the forum -- what "the area" plausibly covers. The "Los Angeles" forum tends to function in this self-regulating way; threads about, say, Palmdale qualify, but threads about Santa Barbara don't. If someone thinks a thread is misplaced (e.g., Atlantic City topic in NYC) then an RBP will quickly get the matter dealt with and the thread moved to the correct forum (many of the geographic forums are de facto moderated by the senior mods who receive the RBPs for those forums). This will just continue to help make clear what is the plausible "greater area" for the city.
Greater NYC area, to include upstate NY and the NYC Metro area.

The locals know what belongs where, but when you have someone that doesn't have a clue, adjusting the forum title will be a great help to them. When was the last time you referred to Niagara Falls (clearly upstate) as being in the Mid- Atlantic region?

This is a simple adjustment to the Forum heading.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
You take a 3 year old thread and post on it like you were responding to something written yesterday?

Geez! Youse take a guy out of Brooklyn and he loses all of his street smarts.

Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
dhammer53, are you wishing the current TalkBoard to take a look at this issue again?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Completely supportive of this.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dovster
I see two possibilities:

1. "New York Metropolitan Area"

2. "Brooklyn and its suburbs"
My opinion will be rename is:

1. NYC Area & New Jersey.

Or

2. New York City & New Jersey Area.

I think number#2 is good name. It is best way to do it for rename is "New York City & New Jersey Area".
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by jackal
dhammer53, are you wishing the current TalkBoard to take a look at this issue again?
Yes. It's only a matter of adding a few words to the forum description. Since general questions are already being asked in the NY forum, it's really more of a rubber stamp for TB. I realize that TB hasn't acted on this request due to the non-controversial discussion.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Yes. It's only a matter of adding a few words to the forum description. Since general questions are already being asked in the NY forum, it's really more of a rubber stamp for TB. I realize that TB hasn't acted on this request due to the non-controversial discussion.
Oh, as you know, we will find a way to make it as controversial as possible!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
I think that "New York City metropolitan area" works but the sub-forum should remain primarily focused on New York City.

While there are certain parts of the NJ that could be included, I think only specific questions regarding Jersey as an extension of New York City should belong in this sub-forum.

The locals know what belongs where, but when you have someone that doesn't have a clue, adjusting the forum title will be a great help to them. When was the last time you referred to Niagara Falls (clearly upstate) as being in the Mid- Atlantic region?

This is a simple adjustment to the Forum heading.
I don't think adding upstate NY makes any sense as these sub-forums are primarily listed to highlight specific very-happening cities in order to make information easy to find. While Niagara Falls certainly has many tourists with lots of questions, adding it together with the rest of New York State defeats the purpose of having a specific location for everything that is NYC.

I would sooner suggest a specific Niagara Falls thread which was cross-referenced in the Canada forum as well. Or maybe Niagara Falls can be listed as a sub-title under Mid-Atlantic so people know its in there.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dagrin
I think that "New York City metropolitan area" works but the sub-forum should remain primarily focused on New York City.

While there are certain parts of the NJ that could be included, I think only specific questions regarding Jersey as an extension of New York City should belong in this sub-forum.

I don't think adding upstate NY makes any sense as these sub-forums are primarily listed to highlight specific very-happening cities in order to make information easy to find.
Agreed. If we can define it as Elizabeth or East Brunswick in the South to White Plains (I'd stop short of Albany) in the North to the Hamptons in the East I think that best covers the area we're talking about.

Or just go with the 50 miles from JFK radius option.

Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I still think it should be "Brooklyn and the rest of those silly places".
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much, much simpler solution:

Change the rather bizarre forum description from:

We don't think they named it twice, there's just an echo in this forum.

to something like:

This forum covers NYC and the greater metropolitan area.

Doesn't require debate, and TalkBoard voting, and all that crap. Problem solved in 5 minutes. ^
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Agreed. If we can define it as Elizabeth or East Brunswick in the South to White Plains (I'd stop short of Albany) in the North to the Hamptons in the East I think that best covers the area we're talking about.

Either of those perimeter options sound good with the latter being slightly more inclusive but far simpler and easier for non-locals to understand.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
"NYC Metro Area" seems apropos. I know several of us live in Westchester and have commented about happenings in that area (and the forum gets a fair number of questions about HPN), so limiting the title to "NYC and NJ" seems too restricted.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by sbm12

If you stop at Elizabeth to the South, well, you'll be missing most of the accessible and popular parts of the Jersey Shore (not THAT one )

I would think that anything within the hour or so commute should be included. That would cover the North Jersey Shore to about the Asbury and/or Red Bank areas. Both of which have substantially revitalized and are now pretty popular destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.