FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/709300-suggestion-rename-nyc-forum-nyc-new-jersey-nyc-area.html)

Xyzzy Jun 29, 2007 9:50 pm

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

There are a lot of NYC area items that come up that would benefit from being in the NYC forum, but that are not actually in NYC. I am not sure of what the best way to delineate the area is, but I know that the current NYC forum really (to me) only means the 5 boroughs of NYC. Since the area is more than just that, other items either end up in the Middle Atlantic forum or stay somewhere else and are therefore not really in the proper place.

I see this frequently on the Continental forum, where topics relating to Newark and how to get to/from EWR could benefit from a geographic forum rather than an airline-specific one. But, since they are not in NYC they can't go there and if moved to Middle Atlantic the topics will just disappear into the ether. Renaming the NYC forum would go a long way towards solving this problem.

I note that the Washington DC forum specifically includes Baltimore. We should do something similar for NYC.

dhammer53 Jun 29, 2007 11:29 pm

I would suggest NYC/NY State, from Long Island in the south, to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, to Niagara Falls. Currently, this forum gets some NY State questions.

To modify xyzzy's comment, maybe a sub-title to say this forum also talks about all New York area airports.

Dovster Jun 30, 2007 1:42 am

I see two possibilities:

1. "New York Metropolitan Area"

2. "Brooklyn and its suburbs"

Analise Jul 2, 2007 2:04 pm

If you want to include the suburbs of NYC, then just state that: "NYC and suburbs" or "NYC metropolitan area". If you want to rename it to include, NJ, CT, Westchester, Rockland, Long Island....that's a bit verbose. ;)

Xyzzy Jul 7, 2007 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 7992362)
If you want to include the suburbs of NYC, then just state that: "NYC and suburbs" or "NYC metropolitan area".

Either of those works for me. I think that the second is better.

Cholula Jul 7, 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 7981089)
1. "New York Metropolitan Area"

I'm OK with this too.

dhammer53 Jul 7, 2007 3:33 pm

Where shall we put questions relating to New York State?

How about adding... and the rest of the state to the above.

...or, just add and the rest of the state to NYC/NY State, from Long Island in the south, to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, to Niagara Falls. Currently, this forum gets some NY State questions.

To read... 'NYC/NY State, from Long Island in the south, to Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, to Niagara Falls. To include the Metro NY area and airports, and it's suburbs (including close in New Jersey).

Xyzzy Jul 14, 2007 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 8018931)
Where shall we put questions relating to New York State?

Ignoring the facetious comments, I would answer as follows. The questions relating to areas within the NYC metropolitan area belong in the forum that is being discussed. Those related to the rest of NY State, the rest of NJ, and the rest of Connecticut, for that matter, belong in the Mid-Atlantic forum.

dhammer53 Jul 15, 2007 7:28 pm

The NYC forum has always been on the receiving end of NY State questions; and, logically so. Niagara Falls wouldn't be considered Mid-Atlantic. Same goes for the Hudson Valley, Albany, and Connecticut. If anything, CT belongs in the New England forum.

Personally, the NY forum gets very little NY State posts. Posters post to the forum because they think it's the correct place to post. That's why I suggested above modifying the name of the current forum. @:-)

xyzzy, when it comes to New York, I never kid.

Xyzzy Jul 16, 2007 7:55 am

I think we both agree that the existing NYC forum could use a broader title. :)

Seat13c Jul 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 8064136)
...NYC forum could use a broader title. :)

I agree.

dhammer53 Aug 29, 2008 10:06 am

Seems like a simple request. What ever happed to this?

dh

Jenbel Aug 29, 2008 10:17 am

I don't think you really reached a clear consensus on what you wanted, and I, knowing nothing about NY geography, would always defer to the residents on this!

The end result seems to have been 'We think the NYC forum title needs to be changed'. More guidance to us required please! :)

Dovster Aug 29, 2008 10:54 am

As a former resident of both New York and Pennsylvania, and somebody who worked as a reporter in New Jersey, I am very familiar with the area.

Much of northern New Jersey is, indeed, part of the New York metropolitan area. On the other hand, southern New Jersey is much more aligned with Philadelphia.

To include Cherry Hill or Atlantic City as part of a New York forum would be laughable.

cblaisd Aug 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Dovster makes good points.

While I wouldn't see any problem with changing the forum title to, say, "Greater NYC Area" forum, I don't think it's necessary because I think this tends to be a "self-regulating" issue.

Posters know -- or learn from reading the forum -- what "the area" plausibly covers. The "Los Angeles" forum tends to function in this self-regulating way; threads about, say, Palmdale qualify, but threads about Santa Barbara don't. If someone thinks a thread is misplaced (e.g., Atlantic City topic in NYC) then an RBP will quickly get the matter dealt with and the thread moved to the correct forum (many of the geographic forums are de facto moderated by the senior mods who receive the RBPs for those forums). This will just continue to help make clear what is the plausible "greater area" for the city.