Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Rename NYC forum to "NYC & New Jersey" or "NYC Area"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
As I'm from Westchester I'd like "Tri State Area" but I would imagine most out of towners wouldn't understand that phrase.
The common meaning of the "Tri State Area" in New York refers to where Orange County (NY), Pike County (PA) and Sussex County (NJ) meet.

Westchester is quite a distance from there.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dovster
The common meaning of the "Tri State Area" in New York refers to where Orange County (NY), Pike County (PA) and Sussex County (NJ) meet.

It is?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster

When I was growing up, Tri State Area meant NYC, Westchester and Rockland Counties in NY, Fairfield County in CT, Long Island and North Jersey. Has it changed?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I like "Greater New York City" or "New York and New Jersey". Something short that also does not step on the existing Mid-Atlantic of New England forums. For precision, it's hard to beat "New York and New Jersey".
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
I like "Greater New York City" or "New York and New Jersey". Something short that also does not step on the existing Mid-Atlantic of New England forums. For precision, it's hard to beat "New York and New Jersey".
The only problem with that is that it leaves out Connecticut @:-)

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The only problem with that is that it leaves out Connecticut
Officially, Connecticut is part of New England. Greater NYC creates an overlap which might cause a small amount of confusion but might also work better.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
When I was growing up, Tri State Area meant NYC, Westchester and Rockland Counties in NY, Fairfield County in CT, Long Island and North Jersey. Has it changed?
I can only tell you that in the late 1960's I was the Tri-State Area Bureau Chief for one year, working out of Port Jervis, for the Middletown Times Herald Record.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dstan
Personally, I never liked that description either.

My vote would be to retain the New York City forum name and change the description along the lines of nerd's suggestion to: Includes greater NYC metropolitan area.

(Officially, the OMB calls it the "New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-CT-PA Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area" )
This tag line needs to be added to whatever is decided... and the rest of the state should be mentioned, since we do get questions about New York State. @:-)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Officially, Connecticut is part of New England. Greater NYC creates an overlap which might cause a small amount of confusion but might also work better.
Tell that to the folk who work in NYC but live in Connecticut. Jersey, for that matter, could be part of the Mid-Atlantic, given part of it is next to Philly.

But I think Greater NYC Area or NYC Metro Area, although my preferance is for the former.

I was hoping we'd get some consensus out of the folk who reside in the area, but not sure that's going to happen.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:20 am

But I think Greater NYC Area or NYC Metro Area, although my preferance is for the former.
The NYC area stopped being "great" the minute the Dodgers left. (The Giants going to San Francisco just emphasized that fact.)

Therefore, call it the "New York Metropolitan Area".

(Incidentally, back in the late 60's and early 70's, the academic "in" crowd liked to talk about the "Megapolis" -- which stretched from Boston to Washington. I think we can safely discard that one.)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:15 am

I think it should only include NYC and areas within 50 miles around the city. It shouldn't include the whole NJ state or upstate of NY.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I think the TB should drop the various suggestions into a hat and pick one.

This really should be easier
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:52 am

Let's put this on hold until Hurricane Irene is over -- just to be certain that there still is a New York metropolitan area.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The only problem with that is that it leaves out Connecticut @:-)

Cheers.
I see no problem with leaving Connecticut out of everything. I always hated those snotty Greenwich punks.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I still think something along the lines of NY Metro would suffice. The MidAtlantic board only has two sub-fora -- Washington DC and New York City, so its not like that all major cities and areas are covered (like Philly).

Also, unless there is a movement to define other areas in the MidAtlantic (eg, Upstate NY, Philly, Pittsburgh, Trenton...) is there a need to define this forum as being NYC and the sleepy suburbs of its commuters?

If someone brought up a question in the NYC forum like "How to get to Albany from NYC" or "Metro-North, places to see outside of NYC", they are likely to have their questions answered by the knowledgeable people on this forum without much fuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.