One more thing: TB Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jinxy
I actually think a year is long enough.

Forums need new people and fresh ideas
Are you saying a year inbtwn terms or a 1 year term?

TB terms are 2 years, with each year either 4 or 5* TB slots up for election.

* 4 or 5 is dependent on if it's an even or an odd year.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey
Personally, I waver on this... but probably come down on not limiting terms... why "punish" people who want to serve... the voting booth is a way to curb term limits if the members truly want it.
Personally, I don't think "punish" is what the intent or effect would be. If the TB is supposed to be an advisory board to help provide the CD (and IB) with possible FT improvements, then getting a diversity of backgrounds/thoughts/personalities into the TB is actually a good way to help provide new ideas. Otherwise we can end up with the same people providing the same ideas and little to no improvement occurs.

But I do completely agree with your second point that apathy/lack of involvement/whatever can creep into the TB. And lack of involvement would be just as bad, if not worse, than having the same people staying on the TB.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Are you saying a year inbtwn terms or a 1 year term?

TB terms are 2 years, with each year either 4 or 5* TB slots up for election.

* 4 or 5 is dependent on if it's an even or an odd year.

Cheers.

I know they are 2 Years...but i still think one is a good idea...and that you can't be elected twice in a row. Just seems fairer and again brings in new blood
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Personally, I don't think "punish" is what the intent or effect would be. If the TB is supposed to be an advisory board to help provide the CD (and IB) with possible FT improvements, then getting a diversity of backgrounds/thoughts/personalities into the TB is actually a good way to help provide new ideas. Otherwise we can end up with the same people providing the same ideas and little to no improvement occurs.
Or you get people on the TB who think FT is "pretty darned good as it is" and don't think the TB needs to do much, if anything.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:06 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Or you get people on the TB who think FT is "pretty darned good as it is" and don't think the TB needs to do much, if anything.
FT is indeed "pretty darned good as it is", which means we have to work harder to find ways to improve it. All the easy improvements have been done.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
FT is indeed "pretty darned good as it is", which means we have to work harder to find ways to improve it. All the easy improvements have been done.
My statement had 2 parts. I'm not saying that the first part is incorrect -- I'm saying that concluding that the TB doesn't have to do much because of it *is* incorrect.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here is the current draft text for term limits, plus a technical correction to another paragraph that currently calls for a nugatory runoff after a 5-4-0 (or even 5-4-0-0) vote for TalkBoard officer positions. And if there's one thing we don't want to be, it's nugatory!

I'd like any comments here on whether we have misstated anything or left any glaring loopholes. Also I want to be clear that this proposal, unlike most of the ones I work on, does not have consensus support. I might or might not pass. I really don't know. It's just that IMHO persuading a body to term limit itself is quite difficult, and we might as well take the shot while we have it.

The TalkBoard recommends modifying the TalkBoard guidelines as follows:

Add a new paragraph 3.B.i.e.
e. TalkBoard members who are subject to the term limit defined in Section 3.D.i shall be ineligible to be candidates in the current year.

Revise paragraph 3.D.i
i. TalkBoard Member: The term of a TalkBoard member shall be two (2) years. There is no limit to the consecutive or cumulative number of terms to which a member may be re-elected. Five TalkBoard members shall be elected during odd numbered years and four TalkBoard members shall be elected during even numbered years. Term Limit: A FlyerTalk member is ineligible to be a candidate in the current TalkBoard election if by the end of the election period the member will have served on the TalkBoard more than three years out of the preceding four-year period.

Revise paragraph 3.B.ii.c in a techinical correction:
c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering more than 2/3 of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and receive votes but none receives 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Revise paragraph 3.D.i
i. TalkBoard Member: The term of a TalkBoard member shall be two (2) years. Five TalkBoard members shall be elected during odd numbered years and four TalkBoard members shall be elected during even numbered years. Term Limit: A FlyerTalk member is ineligible to be a candidate in the current TalkBoard election if by the end of the election period the member will have served on the TalkBoard more than three years out of the preceding four-year period.
As one of the TB members who helped draft this amendment, let me say that here is what I think it does:

- In most instances makes someone who has served two consecutive terms (4 years) on the TB take at least a year off before running again.

- In the instance of a replacement TB member, allows him or her to be elected 2 times after the appointment if he or she is appointed after the first year of the term of the person he or she is replacing. If he or she serves over one year of the term of the person he or she is replacing, he or she may only run one more time after serving out the over-one-year term before taking at least a year off.

I think this achieves those goals in a simple, straightforward way.

In the spirit of consistent, collaborative input (), comments on and analysis of the wording of the proposed motion (as well as the relative merit of the intention, of course!) is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:02 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you truly want diversity of thought and new blood, why not say you can NEVER serve more than two full terms?

While I am a firm believer in letting voters decide term limits, if you want to mandate it... truly mandate it.... two full terms... and no more service allowed as a Talkboard member.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

If you truly want diversity of thought and new blood, why not say you can NEVER serve more than two full terms?

While I am a firm believer in letting voters decide term limits, if you want to mandate it... truly mandate it.... two full terms... and no more service allowed as a Talkboard member.
^
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Revise paragraph 3.B.ii.c in a techinical correction:
c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering more than 2/3 of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and receive votes but none receives 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.
Two comments on this one. Comment 1:

Any candidate garnering more than 2/3 of the total...
I see conflicting language with that statement and this one...

...but none receives 2/3 of the total vote...
In the initial vote, what total is required to win? More than 2/3 of the total votes....OR...2/3 or more of the total votes? Big difference. In other words, if you have nine votes on the first ballot, does a candidate require six or seven votes to win and not require a second ballot?

Comment 2:

In the first ballot, what happens if there are three candidates and the result is 5-2-2? What determines the "top two" candidates for the final vote?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I do think there is a connection.... you could argue that we should not limit terms since so few people are interested and know about Talkboard to begin with....

Personally, I waver on this... but probably come down on not limiting terms... why "punish" people who want to serve... the voting booth is a way to curb term limits if the members truly want it.

To me, I am more concerned when an elected member chooses to not participate fully... thus depriving their constituents of true representation. The current guidelines give no easy and "quick" way to deal with this.
Agree with all of the above logic.. that there is for and against.. but in the end, the voters will determine whether new blood is needed..

but if new rules is required to mandate new blood.. then truly change the policy..
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Agree with all of the above logic.. that there is for and against.. but in the end, the voters will determine whether new blood is needed..

but if new rules is required to mandate new blood.. then truly change the policy..
Huh?

You say you're willing to let voters to decide on whether veteran TBers should contually be re-elected then you seem to reverse yourself and say if that doesn't work don't let the voters decide and impose term limits. Maybe you need to again clarify an apparent contradiction in your post.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more

Originally Posted by obscure2k
^
Does it mean you support term limits as such? Or just stirring the pot?

Another question is if there should be specific rules for TB pres. Maybe 1 term (2 years) max?

For the record I fully support the proposal, and taken there are enough candidates I havent seen any reason to not support this.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by travelkid
Another question is if there should be specific rules for TB pres. Maybe 1 term (2 years) max?
I don't think there should be but that's MHO otherwise there become too many rules. TB term limits are okay with me and two consecutive terms seems plenty of time to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.