Wiki Posts
Search

One more thing: TB Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
For most subjects, I favor gaining a consensus prior to voting. On this subject, I believe that a public vote would serve the FT membership by showing where we stand. It also provides the best airing of the arguments pro and con.

That said, I'd like the proposal to be very accurately worded before it is put up for vote. A loss due in part to imprecision or incompleteness will be worse than no vote at all.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
From what I understand, some mods recieve elite status in some programs.
Love to know who they might be!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markie
Love to know who they might be!
Well, from what I understand (from a moderator, directly) Hyatt did give those that attended a recent moderator meeting elite status for starters...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Well, from what I understand (from a moderator, directly) Hyatt did give those that attended a recent moderator meeting elite status for starters...
Really? If that's true, that's unfortunate.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I don't know if that's true or not as I haven't attended any recent Mod meetings. And nobody I know who did attend the last one mentioned receiving elite status.

The only thing I've received as a mod recently was a $5 Amazon Gift Card from IB last Christmas which was a 50% cut in gift $$'s from the previous year when Randy sent me a $10 Starbucks card for Christmas.

And I've received zero for my six years on TB and I don't expect anything for volunteering in either capacity. I do believe that IBB's are going to have to start compensating folks that serve in various positions in the future but that's a topic for another thread.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
That's ok, I got a $10 Starbucks card when I stepped down from TB - althoguht that was back in Randy's day, all you may need to go do is step down to get your TB bennies which brings us back nicely to topic.

I can see a reasonable argument for term limits - limiting the number of consecutive terms, rather than absolute number could be a good thing.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:25 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Really? If that's true, that's unfortunate.
I attended a Hyatt party for FTers (any and all FTers) at the Andaz in Los Angeles. Hyatt gave everyone gift cards ($100 plus $50 restaurant credit) and had a drawing for a TRIP TO LONDON. That's way more than just elite status. Is that unfortunate, too?

Some companies like to give back to FT at every opportunity. I don't see the business sense in it, but it's their decision.

Do I like Hyatt more because they gave me a gift card? Sure. Would it stop me from criticizing decisions I believe are wrong? Absolutely not. If anything, it would make me MORE likely to try to set the company straight when they make a bad decision. That's win-win.

I really don't see any problem here, real or potential.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
I attended a Hyatt party for FTers (any and all FTers) at the Andaz in Los Angeles. Hyatt gave everyone gift cards ($100 plus $50 restaurant credit) and had a drawing for a TRIP TO LONDON. That's way more than just elite status. Is that unfortunate, too?

Some companies like to give back to FT at every opportunity. I don't see the business sense in it, but it's their decision.

Do I like Hyatt more because they gave me a gift card? Sure. Would it stop me from criticizing decisions I believe are wrong? Absolutely not. If anything, it would make me MORE likely to try to set the company straight when they make a bad decision. That's win-win.

I really don't see any problem here, real or potential.
You don't see the perceived conflict of interest of a moderator who has the ability to delete negative posts about a company that has given them money in the past?

Would you allow UA Insider to moderate the United forum?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:50 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
You don't see the perceived conflict of interest of a moderator who has the ability to delete negative posts about a company that has given them money in the past?

Would you allow UA Insider to moderate the United forum?
A company employee has divided loyalties. An FT moderator has loyalty only to FT members. It's impossible that a token gift would induce any moderator to act against the best interest of FT members.

Here's a better example of the issue. Suppose a company offers an FT moderator the chance to review and comment on a program change while the parameters of the change are still fluid. This can only be done under a non-disclosure agreement. Should the moderator agree?

I say yes. The chance to improve the program for all members outweighs any loss of ability to speculate on the changes before they occur.

You might not agree with my opinion, but regardless of that the decision will be made with the best interest of FT members being the only consideration. There is no conflict of interest. Perception of conflict is only possible from an absurdly jaundiced perspective. Or from that rare person who could be bribed by a $100 gift card to betray his fellow FTers.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
A company employee has divided loyalties. An FT moderator has loyalty only to FT members. It's impossible that a token gift would induce any moderator to act against the best interest of FT members.

Here's a better example of the issue. Suppose a company offers an FT moderator the chance to review and comment on a program change while the parameters of the change are still fluid. This can only be done under a non-disclosure agreement. Should the moderator agree?

I say yes. The chance to improve the program for all members outweighs any loss of ability to speculate on the changes before they occur.

You might not agree with my opinion, but regardless of that the decision will be made with the best interest of FT members being the only consideration. There is no conflict of interest. Perception of conflict is only possible from an absurdly jaundiced perspective. Or from that rare person who could be bribed by a $100 gift card to betray his fellow FTers.
Perception is reality. Something may, in actuality, be burnt umber, but if everyone else says it's brown, it's brown.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx

I wish I could live in your black&white world.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic:

I'm not a mod. But from what I've heard, the inexpensive Starbuck gift cards at holiday time & a very small stipend to go towards defraying the cost of attending an all-day working mod meeting are about the only things mods get. Well that and a bunch of grief from FTers

Re: the Andez West Hollywood launch event - ALL FTers in attendance received a $100 Hyatt gift card. There was no distinction between mod or not. You just had to be an attendee. The person who won the trip to London was an FT newbie.

On-topic:

I support term limits. I'd say 2 terms on, and either 1 year or 1 term off.

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Off-topic:

I'm not a mod. But from what I've heard, the inexpensive Starbuck gift cards at holiday time & a very small stipend to go towards defraying the cost of attending an all-day working mod meeting are about the only things mods get. Well that and a bunch of grief from FTers

Re: the Andez West Hollywood launch event - ALL FTers in attendance received a $100 Hyatt gift card. There was no distinction between mod or not. You just had to be an attendee. The person who won the trip to London was an FT newbie.

On-topic:

I support term limits. I'd say 2 terms on, and either 1 year or 1 term off.

Cheers.
What about the reports of gifted elite status?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Not that this is relevant to TB term limits but I've never been gifted elite status because of my standing on FT.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic:

So far there's been speculation by some or 'reports' that the mods received elite status, but I've not seen any concrete evidence presented by those reporting/speculating.

The mods are saying they haven't received elite status, and I believe them. And really, there are approx 90 mods from different parts of the world & different airline/hotel/rental car affiliations. It'd be a little hard to come up with something that would match them all.

On a dif note - given that FT is growing, I thought IB giving $5 Starbucks gift cards to the mods rather than $10 was a bit chintzy.

If someone is concerned about possible conflicts of interest w/ mods & hotel/airline/car rental companies, I'd recommend they contact the Community Director of FT.

On-topic:

Still supporting term limits.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.