Search

One more thing: TB Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by wharvey
If you truly want diversity of thought and new blood, why not say you can NEVER serve more than two full terms?

While I am a firm believer in letting voters decide term limits, if you want to mandate it... truly mandate it.... two full terms... and no more service allowed as a Talkboard member.
I'd be open to that thought. But I don't know if a majority of the TB is. Heck, the original idea was to require 2 years off, but that was negotiated down to 1 in order to make the amendment more palatable. It still may fail.

We shall see!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smaug
Two comments on this one. Comment 1:

I see conflicting language with that statement and this one...

In the initial vote, what total is required to win? More than 2/3 of the total votes....OR...2/3 or more of the total votes? Big difference. In other words, if you have nine votes on the first ballot, does a candidate require six or seven votes to win and not require a second ballot?

Comment 2:

In the first ballot, what happens if there are three candidates and the result is 5-2-2? What determines the "top two" candidates for the final vote?
Excellent points.

I think it makes sense to table this issue for now and focus on the term limits. We can revisit it as a stand-alone issue.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Huh?

You say you're willing to let voters to decide on whether veteran TBers should contually be re-elected then you seem to reverse yourself and say if that doesn't work don't let the voters decide and impose term limits. Maybe you need to again clarify an apparent contradiction in your post.
You've read both correct.. what I meant regarding the second statement is that the TB needs to be clear in their policy that if new blood is needed then make it clear.. otherwise leave it up to the voters..
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Excellent points.

I think it makes sense to table this issue for now and focus on the term limits. We can revisit it as a stand-alone issue.
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that it is a major error to ever let something like this slide until the situation becomes a reality. At that point, personalities become involved. It is far better to settle it in advance.

Frankly, I think that in the case of a 5-2-2 split the issue is unimportant. Whoever got the 5 votes is going to win the run off. If you do want to have a run off anyhow, you can determine which of those who received 2 votes got more votes in the TB elections the last time he ran and let him run against the person who got 5.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that it is a major error to ever let something like this slide until the situation becomes a reality. At that point, personalities become involved. It is far better to settle it in advance.

Frankly, I think that in the case of a 5-2-2 split the issue is unimportant. Whoever got the 5 votes is going to win the run off. If you do want to have a run off anyhow, you can determine which of those who received 2 votes got more votes in the TB elections the last time he ran and let him run against the person who got 5.
I think it should be fixed soon too, but as it is going to require some discussion I'd personally prefer that we focus on the issue that is contained in the OP and take this technical correction to a technical correction thread. But it's not like I am going to suspend you or anything if you want to keep talking about it here. ^
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm a bit perplexed on why the 2nd part (TB Prez election) was even included with the part about term limits. They're 2 separate items.

Since this thread is about term limits, I'd rather the discussion stayed on that. Actually I would have rather the proposed term limits been started in a new thread, as someone has to wade through almost 140 posts to get to it & they have to wade through a lot of off-topic discussion. But it is what it is. Since koko's the OP, maybe he can edit his post #1 to direct people to post #128.

I agree w/ koko that the TB prez thing will get sorted soon, but that will be a separate discussion and hope FTers stay focused on the TB term limits discussion in this one.

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The advantage of including it was to reduce the number of separate announcements needed. Two separate votes on internal TB procedures will feed the perception that we only twiddle our thumbs here. See if you agree with me after reading the second part of this post!

Thanks to Smaug we can correct our technical errors on the technical correction.

Revise paragraph 3.B.ii.c in a technical correction:
c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering more thanat least 2/3 of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than two candidates in the primary vote and receive votes but none receives 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. If there is a tie for second place, all the tied candidates shall be included in the final vote. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:45 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I believe my position is clear in the post you quote...

I am NOT for term limits for Talkboard members.

HOWEVER, if they are going to put in term limits make it a true limit.... the current proposal says that a members can sever as many terms as they want as long as they take one year off in between.... in essence, people would take one year off... and could be reelected for another four years... so could searve for 8 out of 9 years.

If you consider that stirring the pot, so be it... but I have been very clear.

Originally Posted by travelkid
Does it mean you support term limits as such? Or just stirring the pot?

Another question is if there should be specific rules for TB pres. Maybe 1 term (2 years) max?

For the record I fully support the proposal, and taken there are enough candidates I havent seen any reason to not support this.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
You've read both correct.. what I meant regarding the second statement is that the TB needs to be clear in their policy that if new blood is needed then make it clear.. otherwise leave it up to the voters..
Clear in their policy? Isn't it clear enough now? Wouldn't it be clear enough if it were to enact term limit guidelines? I see it as more cut & dry, yes or no to TB term limits with my humble opinion being yes.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
The advantage of including it was to reduce the number of separate announcements needed. Two separate votes on internal TB procedures will feed the perception that we only twiddle our thumbs here. See if you agree with me after reading the second part of this post!

Thanks to Smaug we can correct our technical errors on the technical correction.

c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering more thanat least 2/3 of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than two candidates in the primary vote and receive votes but none receives 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. If there is a tie for second place, all the tied candidates shall be included in the final vote. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.
"In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote."

In the rare case that 4 people ran, 1 receiving 3 votes and the three others receiving 2 votes each, no candidate would receive a majority. You might consider language that stated the "top vote getter" would win.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
"In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote."

In the rare case that 4 people ran, 1 receiving 3 votes and the three others receiving 2 votes each, no candidate would receive a majority. You might consider language that stated the "top vote getter" would win.
Damn, you guys are good at this!

c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering more thanat least 2/3 of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than two candidates in the primary vote and receive votes but none receives 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. If there is a tie for second place, all the tied candidates shall be included in the final vote. In the final vote, the candidate with the most votes shall be declared the winner. A tie will be resolved by a random drawing conducted by the Community DirectorPresident shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would be really disappointed if some was elected by a random drawing... and we know how the conspiracy helicopters will be circling no matter who is chosen.

Why not say "in the event of a tie, the candidate who received the highest percentage of general member votes when they were last elected".
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Clear in their policy? Isn't it clear enough now? Wouldn't it be clear enough if it were to enact term limit guidelines? I see it as more cut & dry, yes or no to TB term limits with my humble opinion being yes.
If you read upthread there is discussion about getting fresh blood. The point is if TB wants it, discuss it and implement the change.. if not, drop it.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think anything that requires a vote by TB deserves its own thread, and I'd rather new verbiage be put in post #1, not posted in the middle of an existing thread.

But on the topic of TB Prez election (which shouldn't be put in the middle of a thread on term limits which we're seeking input on IMO), you were working from old verbiage & smaug caught what TB members did before they voted:

"On 16 Jan 2011, the TalkBoard unanimously passed:

Moved by Markie and seconded by jackal:

The TalkBoard recommends that the following amendments be made to the TalkBoard Guidelines:

Section 3, paragraph ii, sub-paragraph c be replaced with the following text :

The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering 2/3rd of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and none receive 2/3rds of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect. "

I'm considering starting a new thread on term limits & posting in post #1 the verbiage/motion we're considering since this thread is long, and has gone sideways, first w/ mod discussions & now discussions on TB election which had been addressed earlier this year.

When asking for public comments pro/con, I'd like us to at least semi-stay on the topic.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think anything that requires a vote by TB deserves its own thread, and I'd rather new verbiage be put in post #1, not posted in the middle of an existing thread.

But on the topic of TB Prez election (which shouldn't be put in the middle of a thread on term limits which we're seeking input on IMO), you were working from old verbiage & smaug caught what TB members did before they voted:

"On 16 Jan 2011, the TalkBoard unanimously passed:

Moved by Markie and seconded by jackal:

The TalkBoard recommends that the following amendments be made to the TalkBoard Guidelines:

Section 3, paragraph ii, sub-paragraph c be replaced with the following text :

The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering 2/3rd of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and none receive 2/3rds of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect. "

I'm considering starting a new thread on term limits & posting in post #1 the verbiage/motion we're considering since this thread is long, and has gone sideways, first w/ mod discussions & now discussions on TB election which had been addressed earlier this year.

When asking for public comments pro/con, I'd like us to at least semi-stay on the topic.

Cheers.
Bolding mine: I agree completely ^. While TalkBoard is not Washington (least I hope not ) where too many things get buried in a bill with the hope that no-one notices, I favor the KISS method and a separate thread for each vote item is the best way to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.