One more thing: TB Term Limits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One more thing: TB Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Except that the entire process is closed. I've received a number of PMs from loyal and regular posters who have applied to be mods only to be told that "we have enough mods" or that "they aren't suitable to be mods" without any further explanation and yet some mods have 3-4 forums under their remit.

You say stable. Other say stagnant. Tomato, tomahto.
By my count, which may be off a bit as I've not even finished my first cup of coffee yet, there are 38 moderators who moderate only 1 forum.

There are 29 moderators who moderate 2 forums.

There are 10 who moderate 3 forums.

There are 7 who moderate 4 or 5 forums.
Originally Posted by nsx
My advice to people in that position is to send a PM to the Community Director volunteering to help in any capacity in any forum. That could lead somewhere good.
Or, that could lead to the "We have enough mods in those forums now," or the, "We don't think you're suitable as a mod," PM. Once they've completed their moderator application and have received a "Thanks, but no thanks," email or response via PM, as the system exists now, they have no other recourse.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:25 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Dovster
Your post illustrates my point. You are well-educated and articulate yet you made two (minor) grammatical errors in it.

You are not alone. I am a professional writer and my posts are full of such errors and tons of typos.

I suspect that when you write for business purposes there are no such mistakes. I know that I not only use spell check but I also run my words through Word to see if it has any problem with my grammar.

(I also wait an hour before submitting any work so as to allow myself to proof it with fresh eyes,)

We take this extra care because we are being paid to produce the most professional work in all aspects. When we come to FT (or do any other kind of unpaid writing) we are nowhere near as careful.
Yet the one person who used to post here for profit (in the millions) often posted rambling, ponderous posts laced with grammatical, spelling and logic errors.

Not saying your point is generally correct or not, just pointing out a data point in conflict with it.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:25 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kipper
Or, that could lead to the "We have enough mods in those forums now," or the, "We don't think you're suitable as a mod," PM. Once they've completed their moderator application and have received a "Thanks, but no thanks," email or response via PM, as the system exists now, they have no other recourse.
I said "volunteering to help in any capacity in any forum". So your first part doesn't match the request. As to the lack of recourse, when you PM the Community Director, you are going to the top. She is the final authority, and by definition there is no further recourse.

That applies to any request from anyone on FT on any subject. All businesses run this way. You accept the decision of the person at the top or you fire that person. No picking and choosing allowed.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hey folks - the topic is possible term limits for TB members - just a reminder!

If people would like to get back to the actual topic of the thread, it would be much appreciated. Derailing it w/ all the mod talk doesn't provide TB members input they need when considering term limits. Just sayin...

If someone goes back to the beginning of the thread (pre-derailment), they'll see input both for/against (and both sides made some valid points). Since it's being raised again, I at least would like to hear FT member's thoughts on it.

Cheers.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:45 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
I said "volunteering to help in any capacity in any forum". So your first part doesn't match the request. As to the lack of recourse, when you PM the Community Director, you are going to the top. She is the final authority, and by definition there is no further recourse.

That applies to any request from anyone on FT on any subject. All businesses run this way. You accept the decision of the person at the top or you fire that person. No picking and choosing allowed.
Perhaps people want to volunteer as a moderator, and receive those responses I mentioned before.

What is wrong with adding additional options for recourse, especially if those additional options rotate out due to term limits? That gives greater chance for new ideas to be shared.

While "not in TalkBoard's purview," I favor not only term limits on TalkBoard members but also term limits on moderators. Give more people a chance to help by serving FT and I think you'll see increased engagement.

I do think that one of the reasons for such a low voter turnout was because to some, it was more of the same people running for the same positions.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
Perhaps people want to volunteer as a moderator, and receive those responses I mentioned before.

What is wrong with adding additional options for recourse, especially if those additional options rotate out due to term limits? That gives greater chance for new ideas to be shared.

While "not in TalkBoard's purview," I favor not only term limits on TalkBoard members but also term limits on moderators. Give more people a chance to help by serving FT and I think you'll see increased engagement.

I do think that one of the reasons for such a low voter turnout was because to some, it was more of the same people running for the same positions.
Also, another factor is FTers don't know where to go to see platforms and vote.. It could be the perception of a difficult process that deters..
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Also, another factor is FTers don't know where to go to see platforms and vote.. It could be the perception of a difficult process that deters..
That shouldn't have been the case as IIRC there was a sticky notice on every forum about the election and candidate debates.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:55 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
How could the process have been any simpler?

The "debates" were posted in all forums for a few weeks... and then the voting announcement was also posted at the top of each forum.

We then had avatars that told people there was an election going on.

Not sure how anyone who wanted to vote would have had difficulty finding the platforms and voting mechanism.

Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
That shouldn't have been the case as IIRC there was a sticky notice on every forum about the election and candidate debates.
Originally Posted by wharvey
How could the process have been any simpler?

The "debates" were posted in all forums for a few weeks... and then the voting announcement was also posted at the top of each forum.

We then had avatars that told people there was an election going on.

Not sure how anyone who wanted to vote would have had difficulty finding the platforms and voting mechanism.
Perhaps a banner ad in color would help.. or a survey by those who use FT, to determine the reasons why members don't vote. As obviously, the turnout has been less than expected..

Most users probably are on FT for points and miles reference and overlook the opportunity to vote..
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:12 pm

Perhaps a banner ad in color would help.. or a survey by those who use FT, to determine the reasons why members don't vote.
You're really reaching now as IMHO there was enough notice given about the TB elections. Regardless this thread isn't about that topic, it's about TB term limits.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:15 pm
Suspended

You're really reaching now as IMHO there was enough notice given about the TB elections. Regardless this thread isn't about that topic, it's about TB term limits.
What do you think causes over 99% of the voters not to vote?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

What do you think causes over 99% of the voters not to vote?
A lack of interest.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
A lack of interest.
+1

But again that's not the topic up for discussion here, which is TB term limits.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:44 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I do think there is a connection.... you could argue that we should not limit terms since so few people are interested and know about Talkboard to begin with....

Personally, I waver on this... but probably come down on not limiting terms... why "punish" people who want to serve... the voting booth is a way to curb term limits if the members truly want it.

To me, I am more concerned when an elected member chooses to not participate fully... thus depriving their constituents of true representation. The current guidelines give no easy and "quick" way to deal with this.

+1

But again that's not the topic up for discussion here, which is TB term limits.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: Too many
I actually think a year is long enough.

Forums need new people and fresh ideas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.