Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One more thing: TB Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: US,HH
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I think you've rushed to conclude based on an incorrect reading of my post.

"I would like my elected representatives to " is expressing a desire of what I would like to see happen. If you read that as I'm saying RichMSN has a low standard, then that is entirely your own (incorrect) reading. I did not, and nor did I mention any TB members in my post - although I am responding to a statement of RichMSN's which I found disconcerting. I'm expressing a hope for the future behaviour of TB members in public, not passing judgement on current standards.

Is it wrong to ask our elected representatives to refrain from taking pot shots at each other on here - particularly so early in the term?

That is exactly how I read your statement.

TB nor mods will see me post here again as it really doesn't matter. I would think there are quite a few posters like me that would want to see things get better around here but the only opinions that seem to be taken seriously are the Evangelists, the TB and the Mods.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Dovster
In short, you volunteer for local government offices and for a professional organization (to which, I presume, you belong).

That is fine and commendable. I do, however, see a great difference between that and if you had told me you do volunteer work as a claims adjuster for an insurance company, an engineer for BP, or a pilot for BA.

Frankly, if I put in an insurance claim, am a driller on an oil rig, or am a passenger of a plane, I would feel much more comfortable knowing that a professional whose income depends on him doing good work is the person on the job.
You think being a Mod on Flyertalk is equivalent to a claims adjuster, an engineer or a pilot?

Trust me - it's not.

However, your assertion that "volunteer" equals badly trained, or unprofessional is incorrect.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
You think being a Mod on Flyertalk is equivalent to a claims adjuster, an engineer or a pilot?

Trust me - it's not.

However, your assertion that "volunteer" equals badly trained, or unprofessional is incorrect.
A volunteer has less motivation to do the job correctly than does someone whose livlihood depends on it.

Indeed, ask anyone who is familiar with the U.S. court system if an attorney appointed by the court to defend someone without charge (or at a minimal payment) will put in the same time and effort that he would if he was getting paid.

The sad, but human, truth is that he will not.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
A volunteer has less motivation to do the job correctly than does someone whose livlihood depends on it.
Curious opinion. Not one that I hold but I do appreciate your candor.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:15 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Indeed, ask anyone who is familiar with the U.S. court system if an attorney appointed by the court to defend someone without charge (or at a minimal payment) will put in the same time and effort that he would if he was getting paid.

My experiences with this are that this is pretty much true, especially if the volunteer or employee is feeling that they aren't sure if they want to continue in that role. If they are questioning if they want to continue, the volunteer is more likely to just not do as great a job, because, their income isn't tied to it. An employee is more likely to continue doing the best they can because, even if they want to get out of that field, they'll still need to use that employer as a reference, and in the meantime, still need the paycheck.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Prospero
Apologies for singling this post out but this public sparing between TB members makes for very unpleasant reading.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
You might not - others might have different standards of courtesy?
I'm sorry that you feel that way; I see nothing disrespectful, unprofessional, etc. about a healthy public debate between TB members.

Originally Posted by kipper
I appreciate that you're willing to share your opinions and and any differences with others on TalkBoard with the public, rather than hiding that in the private forum.
Agreed 100%. ^

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I think Moderators and TB Members in a sense have earned their dues.. by demoting, or having the hard working members become regular members again, is a downgrade to the hard work, and volunteer efforts demonstrated..
Demoting? When a FTer was made a Mod of a forum I frequent, I expressed my condolences publicly.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I
Demoting? When a FTer was made a Mod of a forum I frequent, I expressed my condolences publicly.

Came out a bit funny.. but how else would you describe it with mods? Somebody forcing you to step down, when you just want to do your job?

Mods are a stable workforce, who hardly get the accolades for the hard work they deserve.. A nail in the coffin to introduce new restrictions.. FT needs new and more mods so that new forums can be introduced and served.. but I'm a newbie, so maybe my opinion is a bit fresh?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Came out a bit funny.. but how else would you describe it with mods? Somebody forcing you to step down, when you just want to do your job?

Mods are a stable workforce, who hardly get the accolades for the hard work they deserve.. A nail in the coffin to introduce new restrictions.. FT needs new and more mods so that new forums can be introduced and served.. but I'm a newbie, so maybe my opinion is a bit fresh?
Except that the entire process is closed. I've received a number of PMs from loyal and regular posters who have applied to be mods only to be told that "we have enough mods" or that "they aren't suitable to be mods" without any further explanation and yet some mods have 3-4 forums under their remit.

You say stable. Other say stagnant. Tomato, tomahto.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Except that the entire process is closed. I've received a number of PMs from loyal and regular posters who have applied to be mods only to be told that "we have enough mods" or that "they aren't suitable to be mods" without any further explanation and yet some mods have 3-4 forums under their remit.
My advice to people in that position is to send a PM to the Community Director volunteering to help in any capacity in any forum. That could lead somewhere good.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Mods are a stable workforce, who hardly get the accolades for the hard work they deserve.. A nail in the coffin to introduce new restrictions..
Huh? In one post you say no new restrictions on Mod's yet in this post you say they should be subject to new regulations to be directed by TB:

my feel is that the moderators should remain autonomous, but input to direction be provided by the TB.
Which is it?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

I think the comes down to the character of the person. If they are happy with doing a bad job, I am not sure they'd do a good job if they were paid a fortune. I know volunteers who spend hours doing the very best job they can - being trained, at their own expense. And that's not just on FT.

I have no doubt you sincerely hold your views, but they denigrate the work of all volunteers as being second class and that I cannot agree with.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:40 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have no doubt you sincerely hold your views, but they denigrate the work of all volunteers as being second class and that I cannot agree with.
That's OK. Nobody paid him to comment. He's a volunteer. According to his theory, that's why his commentary is all bollixed up.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:45 pm

I think the comes down to the character of the person. If they are happy with doing a bad job, I am not sure they'd do a good job if they were paid a fortune. I know volunteers who spend hours doing the very best job they can - being trained, at their own expense. And that's not just on FT.

Your post illustrates my point. You are well-educated and articulate yet you made two (minor) grammatical errors in it.

You are not alone. I am a professional writer and my posts are full of such errors and tons of typos.

I suspect that when you write for business purposes there are no such mistakes. I know that I not only use spell check but I also run my words through Word to see if it has any problem with my grammar.

(I also wait an hour before submitting any work so as to allow myself to proof it with fresh eyes,)

We take this extra care because we are being paid to produce the most professional work in all aspects. When we come to FT (or do any other kind of unpaid writing) we are nowhere near as careful.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
That's OK. Nobody paid him to comment. He's a volunteer. According to his theory, that's why his commentary is all bollixed up.
Actually, you are right. I was commenting on exactly that but you hit the "Submit" button before I did.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:06 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Actually, you are right.
You say I'm right that you're wrong. But since you're wrong, that must also be wrong. So you're right...

My head hurts. I'm going to bed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.