FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One more thing: TB Term Limits
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here is the current draft text for term limits, plus a technical correction to another paragraph that currently calls for a nugatory runoff after a 5-4-0 (or even 5-4-0-0) vote for TalkBoard officer positions. And if there's one thing we don't want to be, it's nugatory!

I'd like any comments here on whether we have misstated anything or left any glaring loopholes. Also I want to be clear that this proposal, unlike most of the ones I work on, does not have consensus support. I might or might not pass. I really don't know. It's just that IMHO persuading a body to term limit itself is quite difficult, and we might as well take the shot while we have it.

The TalkBoard recommends modifying the TalkBoard guidelines as follows:

Add a new paragraph 3.B.i.e.
e. TalkBoard members who are subject to the term limit defined in Section 3.D.i shall be ineligible to be candidates in the current year.

Revise paragraph 3.D.i
i. TalkBoard Member: The term of a TalkBoard member shall be two (2) years. There is no limit to the consecutive or cumulative number of terms to which a member may be re-elected. Five TalkBoard members shall be elected during odd numbered years and four TalkBoard members shall be elected during even numbered years. Term Limit: A FlyerTalk member is ineligible to be a candidate in the current TalkBoard election if by the end of the election period the member will have served on the TalkBoard more than three years out of the preceding four-year period.

Revise paragraph 3.B.ii.c in a techinical correction:
c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering more than 2/3 of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and receive votes but none receives 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.