Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:49 pm

Received my full refund on 2 SWISS Business class tickets on cancelled flight SFO-ZRH. Money redeposited back to my credit card account a mere 40 days after my flight was due to depart. I was patient throughout the process, waited to request a refund until after my flight had been cancelled, and received USD6,600+ in full after Swiss put in my request for a refund. Everything worked smoothly.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
I just had a refund for a European flight come in around 10 days after I (voluntarily) cancelled the flight with Swiss
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: AC E75K
Hmm these reports give me hope. Still waiting for a refund for an April flight that was (after a long saga) most recently re-submitted for a refund by Expedia (and apparently accepted by Swiss) on July 11. Fingers crossed.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:28 pm

Update. Full refunds by Swiss for half a dozen tickets. Refunds took about 10 weeks after Swiss confirmed cancellation. One Swiss ticket purchased through Expedia remains non-refunded by Expedia. Expedia has been disorganized and uncooperative across many bookings in my company to a point where my company banned using Expedia going forward.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by terre2014
Received my full refund on 2 SWISS Business class tickets on cancelled flight SFO-ZRH. Money redeposited back to my credit card account a mere 40 days after my flight was due to depart. I was patient throughout the process, waited to request a refund until after my flight had been cancelled, and received USD6,600+ in full after Swiss put in my request for a refund. Everything worked smoothly.
How long did it take to receive your refund after Swiss put in your request? They told me "6 to 8 weeks, probably longer" when they put in my request for a refund back in June.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I have received now all refunds for flights that were cancelled (4 in total).
Only the very first one from end of March is still missing - will need to remind them.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by majortom421
How long did it take to receive your refund after Swiss put in your request? They told me "6 to 8 weeks, probably longer" when they put in my request for a refund back in June.
Also just received full refunds for March-April flights, around 15 weeks after I made the request.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
So in the end, it proved indeed the best way to just wait on the refund: voucher comes with issues (need to accept call center price for flight, etc), and chargeback is mostly disputed, leading to even longer time to resolve the issue.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:43 am

They submitted my refund request on May 28th. On July 16 I got an email saying they would give me the refund "shortly." I received the funds redeposited back to my credit card on July 20th. Frankly, I thought that was rapid and had been prepared to not get anything until September.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
So in the end, it proved indeed the best way to just wait on the refund: voucher comes with issues (need to accept call center price for flight, etc), and chargeback is mostly disputed, leading to even longer time to resolve the issue.
Yes, your observation is spot on !
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:59 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Just an update for those still waiting.
I finally received my money back on my credit card. I called Swiss first week of April (ZRH-BKK-SIN-ZRH) for a flight that was canceled and due to depart April 9th. So yeah, a full 4 months later.

I also canceled a redemption ticket with M&M due to them changing the flights to different days (flight in September 2020 GVA-ZRH-HKG). I called M&M last week and the money is already on my credit card.

Now waiting for the refund of a flight that LX canceled (GVA-PDL-GVA) early July.... let's see in October what happens
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:34 pm

...another rant about swiss, but not worth it, suffice to say I would never buy a ticket from then again. My only bad experience with many cancelled covid trips.
capedreamer and Tafflyer like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:06 pm

I had ticket booked as Swiss flight # / metal outbound and Austrian flight # / metal on return.

Swiss changed schedule on the outbound, offered a couple of options but I decided to cancel.
​​
Called Expedia since it was booked there and prepare to fight. To my surprise Expedia booked entire ticket as Austrian (257....) despite outbound being Swiss and therefore forwarded refund request to Austrian.

Another surprise was 7 days later when money came back to my credit card from Austrian. What a difference!
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:03 am

Had Very discounted A-class AMS-BKK r/t flights in July booked directly with Swiss back in February
Waited until Swiss cancelled them and then put in my refund request.
It was processed and back on my creditcard in three weeks.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by GreatDane
Had Very discounted A-class AMS-BKK r/t flights in July booked directly with Swiss back in February
Waited until Swiss cancelled them and then put in my refund request.
It was processed and back on my creditcard in three weeks.
Sigh. So envious of reports like these.

Still waiting on a refund for my cancelled CDG-ZRH-GRU-EZE flights from April...
wheretoo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.