Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: AC E75K
Article (in German) that might be of interest to my fellow sufferers in this thread: German corporations lobbying against advanced payment for airline tickets as a result of their frustrations with LH's approach to Covid refunds. Since the article is in German only, I'm also linking to the English A.net discussion of it.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
We have seen that you cannot trust the airline to follow simple laws and so such legislation becomes necessary. The existing model is fine as long as it is correctly followed. Lufthansa and a few other have shown that they do not do this. Of course, the more immediate way to solve the problem might be to strengthen the National Enforcement Bodies of EC261/2004 so that these are truly independent and with powers to punish airlines who do not follow the laws.

I would propose that an airline unjustly withholding repayment due or giving false information to avoid or delay payment should subsequently be punished by having to pay twice the amount. Yes, they will kick and scream about this "forcing" them to increase fares, but in the end it is a competitive market and we will see. EU261 is a cost of doing business. So is having to repay a passenger when you cancel his flight. And the law says within 7 days. Lufthansa still has close to 1.8 Billion Euros in their account which proves they are not adhering to this.
Dave_C, capedreamer and florens like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Data Point:

Schedule change on flight to BKK. Requested cancellation 13/7 refund made it into my account today
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I would propose that an airline unjustly withholding repayment due or giving false information to avoid or delay payment should subsequently be punished by having to pay twice the amount.
Even that wouldn't work.
When we talk about article 7 compensation claims (before Covid-19) -> My assumption is that only 10% of eligible passengers are trying to claim that money.
The airlines then manages to successfully fob off 90% of these 10% (either by ignoring claims, giving false excuses or simply providing no reliable channel to claim the money).
So in the end only 1% of eligible passengers are willing to fight for it - and may report it to the national enforcement body. If the airline then has to pay the double amount to this 1%, it won't make a big change to the airline.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by warakorn
...... If the airline then has to pay the double amount to this 1%, it won't make a big change to the airline.

...but it will piss them off, which will cause immense satisfaction
chris63, cad-spe, Tafflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:33 am

It's hard to know at what point to initiate a chargeback. I'm looking at the best part of £6,500 for 3 business class tickets CDG to AKL (out on 26 July). Flight was cancelled and I called and requested refund on 12 June. Had email about further cancellations in the sequence so I called again on 29 June to be told that the cancellation and refund request hadn't been processed properly but would be now. Radio silence since then.
Credit card is UK Amex Gold. Would like to cancel the card this month.
Any tips?

Last edited by Tudway; Aug 12, 2020 at 11:33 am Reason: clarity
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tudway
It's hard to know at what point to initiate a chargeback. I'm looking at the best part of £6,500 for 3 business class tickets CDG to AKL (out on 26 July). Flight was cancelled and I called and requested refund on 12 June. Had email about further cancellations in the sequence so I called again on 29 June to be told that the cancellation and refund request hadn't been processed properly but would be now. Radio silence since then.
Credit card is UK Amex Gold. Would like to cancel the card this month.
Any tips?
I would get on with it now. You have allowed more than ample time for them to refund. They are well over the 7 day period in which they are supposed to refund.
wheretoo likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Tudway give them a chase on Twitter DM. They will give you the same verbiage but it did seem to work for me.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Update: called again to claim refund of my very first flight that was cancelled in March. Had called already end of March and demanded refund, and got Facebook messenger confirmation that the refund is in process in May.
Now the agent tells me: ok, I will start the refund process for this flight.
When I told him the above, he said he cannot see this in the system.

Great...
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:26 am
Suspended

Not too surprising; Agents are trained to fob off of customers with messages like that ("refund is in progress"). And it worked.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:52 am

For those who have followed my saga, I'm pleased to report that 4 months and 4 days after my original departure date, the 1,683.64 I paid just returned to my credit card.

Those who know my situation may recall that it became extra complicated because I bought the ticket from Expedia France (and I don't speak French) + I made the mistake of going the chargeback route + I closed my US credit card account after receiving the temporary credit because I moved from the US to Europe, resulting in the ticket going into 'suspended' status. So getting all this sorted required countless international phone calls, hours and hours of hold music, hoping for Expedia agents that spoke English, and several re-initiations of the refund request due to the ticket status issue. At one point, I had basically written this money off because a Swiss agent told me that my ticket had been being flagged for fraud so a refund would not be possible.

So for everyone else still suffering, have faith! If my f'd up situation ultimately worked out, I'm confident yours will, too!

PS: Thanks to FX changes, I ended up making a $100 through this mess. Haha...

Originally Posted by capedreamer
For those who've followed my saga (summarized below), here's an update:
  • Swiss informed me today (June 11) that they received Expedia's refund request on June 8 (I do not understand what happened between April 7 and June 8) and authorized the refund on June 9
  • Expedia informed me today that they received Swiss's authorization and will now process the refund, which can take another 2 - 12 (?!) weeks (I questioned the need for such a long further delay, which they could not explain)
I asked both Swiss and Expedia to send me an e-mail confirming the above, which both agreed to. Have yet to receive either (after ~2 hours). I guess this is positive progress, but still extremely frustrating.
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Heard back from Dr. Böse. Unfortunately can't help me because none of my segments touch Germany.

To summarize, here's where I'm at:
  1. Swiss (operating carrier), after my insistence upon my EC261 rights, acknowledged on the phone I'm eligible for a refund but refused to put anything in writing to me. Told me a note has been made in my file so the OTA I purchased the ticket from should be able to submit a refund request.
  2. Expedia (OTA) confirmed my refund request was submitted on April 7 but I have not seen any $. Tired of waiting, I filed a merchant dispute through my credit card.
  3. Barclays (credit card issuer), granted and later reversed temporary credit after receiving documentation from LX convincing them I am not owed a refund because ticket is "non-refundable". Ready to throw in the towel on getting a refund, I called Swiss prepared to rebook to a future date.
  4. Swiss informed me ticket has been "suspended" due to suspicion of "potential fraudulent activity" and no rebooking would be possible. Advised me to call Expedia.
  5. Expedia informed me refund is still in process, disclaimed any knowledge of a "suspension", and advised that no rebooking would be possible until they hear back from Swiss re: the refund, either in the affirmative or negative.
  6. Meanwhile, FOCA (Swiss authorities) declined to pursue my case because the itinerary originates in France. Forwarded the case to French counterparts.
  7. DGAC (French authorities) sent a generic e-mail advising that "The DGAC does not provide individual follow-up to the reports sent to it. The action of the DGAC is also independent of the resolution of individual requests for compensation and reimbursement from airlines." (excuse the Google translation.)
  8. Contacted two lawyers who have both declined to take up my case.
So I guess I'm SOL now. Goodbye to $1,900.

PS: Most perversely, I have another P fare intercontinental trip (OSL-ZRH-BKK) booked with Swiss in September. I don't even want to think about how to handle that one. (The above was for a CDG-ZRH-GRU-EZE P fare trip in April.)
ExpatSomchai and wheretoo like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Tudway give them a chase on Twitter DM. They will give you the same verbiage but it did seem to work for me.
Well, I don't use Twitter, but used Messenger to chase. This was the response, in the small hours of Friday morning :

Hello [Tudway], I am truly sorry for the delay with the refund. After checking your booking, I'm glad to inform you that your refund has been processed today for all 3 tickets. The amount may take some time to reflect in your account. Thank you very much for your patience thus far. If you need anything else, please feel free to contact us again. Kind regards, [Xxxxxxxxxxx].

So, now I'll wait a week and see...
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:35 am
Suspended

after receiving the temporary credit
What has happened to this temporary credit?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
What has happened to this temporary credit?
It was reversed a few weeks later when Swiss provided their BS response via their merchant bank that my ticket was non-refundable and my credit card issuing bank (Barclays) / network (Visa) accepted it as justification for why I wasn't due a refund.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Tudway
Well, I don't use Twitter, but used Messenger to chase. This was the response, in the small hours of Friday morning :

Hello [Tudway], I am truly sorry for the delay with the refund. After checking your booking, I'm glad to inform you that your refund has been processed today for all 3 tickets. The amount may take some time to reflect in your account. Thank you very much for your patience thus far. If you need anything else, please feel free to contact us again. Kind regards, [Xxxxxxxxxxx].

So, now I'll wait a week and see...
Data point: Refund arrived today.
ExpatSomchai and TEDisgone like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.