Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The rules are clear: the passenger has to ensure s/he can be in the country (complying with health and visa rules) and take the flight. I would wait till the last moment, maybe the flights to Sweden (which is not really doing well in the fight so far) will be cancelled.
mmff likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
As long as the flight is still operating, government-imposed travel restrictions are not the airline's problem, but yours. Based on this alone, no refund is due.
Now, you can hope that LX will still cancel (or significantly change times for) that flight segment, in which case you can ask for a refund.
Otherwise, it's travel voucher or "open ticket" with free rebooking on same route and same cabin until 31/JAN/21, for travel until 13/DEC/21.
mmff likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
OK. Thanks. The ticket was pretty cheap since we booked in November. Will wait to see if they cancel, if not, voucher it is.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by airoli
As long as the flight is still operating, government-imposed travel restrictions are not the airline's problem, but yours. Based on this alone, no refund is due.
Now, you can hope that LX will still cancel (or significantly change times for) that flight segment, in which case you can ask for a refund.
Otherwise, it's travel voucher or "open ticket" with free rebooking on same route and same cabin until 31/JAN/21, for travel until 13/DEC/21.
The "free" rebooking you talk of is subject to whatever fare is available at the time you make the rebooking. This may well be multiples of the $65 you paid.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
The "free" rebooking you talk of is subject to whatever fare is available at the time you make the rebooking.
No - I smarted up about this. Repricing applies if you change the routing or the cabin vs. your original booking. But if you keep your original routing and cabin, there is no repricing.
From Swiss website:
Your ticket will remain valid and you can use it towards a future flight. Latest start of travel is 31 December 2021. If you would like to choose this option, please get in touch with us, latest by 31 January 2021. You can also change your destination and your travel class. Please note, that in these cases, an additional payment might be necessary, e.g. if you change to a higher travel class or if you rebook from a short-haul to a long-haul flight.
Also confirmed by f4freejunior based on my specific question here
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Simplified:

LX cancels: No repricing. You can get a refund.
You cancel: Rebook with repricing or voucher with repricing. No refund.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Swiss did insist on upfaring me before I requested refunding my tickets. I would have accepted a free of charge rebook but they were adamant. I even cited EU261. No difference. I hung up and called again, same thing. I even picked days forrebooking where P class was available, but they insisted on using fares in force rather than the fate I paid. I gave up and took the refund. Which, incidently, I also never received and have now filed a lawsuit for.
f4freeJunior likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
airoli what would you define as a "significant" to warrant a cancellation?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
Simplified:

LX cancels: No repricing. You can get a refund.
You cancel: Rebook with repricing or voucher with repricing. No refund.
Should be, yes. However, I was denied the free rebooking despite LX cancelling. Tried a number of agents. Differing excuses and reasons, but none would do it. As I said, I figured they didn’t want my money and requested a refund. At that time, I also didn’t know I’d have to sue them for the refund they told me I would receive.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
airoli what would you define as a "significant" to warrant a cancellation?
Another calendar day.

Should be, yes. However, I was denied the free rebooking despite LX cancelling.
When was this? The "free rebooking on same route & class" rule was only explicitly published on the LX website about 2 weeks ago.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:28 am

When was this? The "free rebooking on same route & class" rule was only explicitly published on the LX website about 2 weeks ago.
That was mid April.

EC261/2004 rules, which require this option be given to passengers, never changed. The announcement on the Swiss website is due (in my opinion) to the injunction obtained in Germany against Lufthansa Group breaching EU law by insisting on this upfaring. That is now being appealed by Lufthansa, but I am sure they will lose, unless EU law changes in between. The rebooking I requested was even in the same booking class, just I had booked a very favourable partner fare from AMS which was obviously no longer available. Their antics took away my will to fly with them, so I took the refund option instead.

That saga continues in that Swiss disputed my chargeback, despite having confirmed my cancellation by Email and stating that refund would be made to the original form of payment. I also issued a chargeback on the representation that Swiss made of the charges which Swiss also disputed with BS about me having already received vouchers. Pure lies. I am now awaiting their response to my lawyers court papers filed against them for refund of the fares plus additional costs for fees plus my time spent dealing with their avoidance tactics. They must be careful, because my lawyer is looking to file a criminal complaint against Swiss for making willfully false statements in denying the chargeback requests.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AC E75K
That was mid April.

EC261/2004 rules, which require this option be given to passengers, never changed. The announcement on the Swiss website is due (in my opinion) to the injunction obtained in Germany against Lufthansa Group breaching EU law by insisting on this upfaring. That is now being appealed by Lufthansa, but I am sure they will lose, unless EU law changes in between. The rebooking I requested was even in the same booking class, just I had booked a very favourable partner fare from AMS which was obviously no longer available. Their antics took away my will to fly with them, so I took the refund option instead.

That saga continues in that Swiss disputed my chargeback, despite having confirmed my cancellation by Email and stating that refund would be made to the original form of payment. I also issued a chargeback on the representation that Swiss made of the charges which Swiss also disputed with BS about me having already received vouchers. Pure lies. I am now awaiting their response to my lawyers court papers filed against them for refund of the fares plus additional costs for fees plus my time spent dealing with their avoidance tactics. They must be careful, because my lawyer is looking to file a criminal complaint against Swiss for making willfully false statements in denying the chargeback requests.
Sadly, I fear that you and I will be the last 2 people on this earth to get our money back.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:57 am

That was mid April.

EC261/2004 rules, which require this option be given to passengers, never changed..
I do not disagree.
As I mentioned, LX has recently changed the wording in their policy to explicitly allow rebookings without repricing, on same route and cabin. Which is what I stated in my response to FragranceMarketingGuy. You then claimed that this wasn't so.

It is now - but it wasn't what LX voluntarily offered in the past.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:30 am

I do not disagree.
As I mentioned, LX has recently changed the wording in their policy to explicitly allow rebookings without repricing, on same route and cabin. Which is what I stated in my response to FragranceMarketingGuy. You then claimed that this wasn't so.

It is now - but it wasn't what LX voluntarily offered in the past.
Well, actually, in a discussion I had with a Swiss agent last week, who was claiming that my not-yet-refunded ticket was still showing the original routing, I did ask again about rebooking it for December, not that I was serious in doing so, but looking for his answer. And that was that it would have to be repriced. I again got the "no, only +/- 3 days from the original booking" and the "that great offer fare you booked is no longer available" BS, so I am sure they are still playing the game of trying to screw punters out of more money if they can. I am frankly surprised since they have their bailout package now and know they will have to refund tickets sometime anyway. In my case, they will now be shelling out around €800 more than if they'd just done the right thing up front.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I am frankly surprised since they have their bailout package now and know they will have to refund tickets sometime anyway. In my case, they will now be shelling out around €800 more than if they'd just done the right thing up front.
According to the CEO of Edelweiss, the contracts for the bailout are not signed yet, so neither Swiss nor Edelweiss have received any money so far (only bank credits guaranteed by the state).
See here (in German) :https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft...d15981055.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.