Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:17 am
Suspended

My flights to NBO next year have been cancelled. SWISS have been running a 1x weekly since July with plans to increase to 2x weekly this month, however its now been zeroed out to April next year.

Surprises me they are running JNB 3x weekly with South Africa entry restrictions being stricter than Kenya, and now cancelling their NBO offering. LH still offering 5x weekly FRA-NBO, oddly Swiss would not switch me over to an LH flight just gave me the choice of a date change, voucher or refund so refund it is.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 2:06 pm

Thanks all for keeping this thread active the last few months, it had given me hope that one day my refund would eventually come.

Flights booked via Expedia.ch in August 2019 for ZRH-SIN-DPS-SIN-ZRH with SIA codeshares in July 2020. Flights cancelled by Swiss in June and refund requested from Expedia the next day. Got notification on 7th October that refund was being processed and it landed in my account today.

Good luck to everyone still waiting on theirs, and thanks for everyone's input.
ExpatSomchai and Dog250 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Dog250
Had a similar experience to you, albeit yours must be a record for the quickest refund!
​​​​
​​​I phoned (as stated in the flight cancellation email) to request a refund back at the beginning of September but was told to fill a form online. Didn't receive any confirmation email. A few weeks passed and on Monday Oct 5 gave them a call.

A very helpful woman stated that I'd be listed as a no show for my first flight (even though the email from Swiss stated that my trip would be cancelled if I didn't accept the new itinerary). She requested a refund for me. Received the confirmation email for the refund request a few hours later. On Oct 7 I received the email confirming I'll be refunded in full.

Now just waiting for the refund. Hopefully won't be too long. I'm very impressed with Swiss!

Refund hit my account today.

​​​
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Called today to request refund for cancelled JNB service in December. Will report back as to how long it takes. I must admit though that I have had a few conversations with LX about this booking and every time have been very pleasantly surprised at how quickly the calls are answered and how helpful the staff have always been.
Cupart likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Called today to request a refund for cancelled JNB flights in November. I will update when the refund hits my account. Hopefully it's faster than a few months
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:55 am

It should take no longer than 4 weeks at the moment.

However, Swiss is expected to run out of money by end of year:

https://www.travelnews.ch/tourismusw...or-zwoelf.html

So it's possible that refunds might take longer again (or worse..), unless Switzerland (and Germany for LH Group) are willing to spend even more money.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Well called and cancelled a flight due to a 5 hour+ time change and money was in my account within 7 days
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
WOW - super impressed with LX

17 October (Saturday) - called to ask for refund as JNB flights for December had just been cancelled
18 October (Sunday) - received email to say the full amount was being refunded - could take up to 21 days
19 October (Monday) - late evening money was in my account!

Cannot really ask for much better than that.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by montezume
Called today to request a refund for cancelled JNB flights in November. I will update when the refund hits my account. Hopefully it's faster than a few months
Got my refund last night.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: MM FTL
If I want a refund for a cancelled flight, do I need to ask for it before the original departure date ? or can I wait and see how the situation is developping and ask for it later ?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If all segments are cancelled there is no need to react now; just keep the ticket No. and call when you are ready to rebook/refund.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 1:08 am

Refund requested on Friday and in the bank the following Monday. Even counting Saturday and Sunday that's just three days. Thanks, SWISS.

Such an improvement over what seemed like months of disarray and disgrace earlier in the year.
cbourl likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Now that LX is actually providing refunds, are they still fighting any of the chargebacks that were still under dispute, or have they dropped those?
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: LXFF
Finally got a refund from a ticket book in October 2019. I wasn't harrassing them, but glad to see it refunded. Just looking forward to international travel at this point
romans likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:35 am

Reprice for rebooking after cancellation?

Hello, I hope someone may be able to help.

I had a reservation earlier in the month for LCY-ZRH-BKK and vv, booked in P class in a promotional sale in Jan 2020.

LX cancelled the first sector then radically rescheduled the second, so I called and the agent put the booking ‘on hold’, saying I can rebook by Jan 21st for Dec 2021, in P class, with no recalculation of fare.

This policy is confirmed on their website, where it suggests that repricing is only if I try and change the destination.

Today I called to try and rebook and the agent insisted that only the change fee is waived, and that he needs to reprice and charge me the difference. The fare is a lot higher now.

Is this the correct advice?

Also, the website states that travel needs to start by Dec 31st 2021. The agent insisted that it needs to be completed by then. Again, which is correct?

many thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.