Search

Use Starpoints for flights -- SPG Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nologic
. . . on domestic tickets you might come out OK if you need to redeem double mileage Anytime Awards.
And it does. I just checked an itinerary PHX-MCO for an award ticket I've been trying to snag for someone, but there's no availability. They want F, and are prepared to pay the 50K miles to get it. Through SPG Flights, I'm able to get a number of good itineraries, with dates and times that are ideal, booked in F, for 60K miles.

Now, that's obviously 50% more than the 40K Starpoints that it would take if I were to transfer to a program and have an award ticket issued, but that's not an option in this case, so a 50% premium is a viable option if you have plenty of points.

As an added bonus, via the SPG Flights route, the person would get a First Class bonus for a revenue F ticket, and earn miles on the trip.

I can't see myself doing this much, if ever, but for a number of my friends who struggle with the whole 'frequent flyer thing,' who are never able to redeem miles for airline tickets they really want, if they've got a boatload of SPG points, this type of premium would be a no-brainer.

However, 1.7 million SPG points () for that single F ticket to DPS that I just priced -- I'm hoping my friends would call me before hitting that purchase button.

I can definitely see a place for this program and applaud SPG for adding it. I'm not sure that all the fanfare for this particular audience bought them much, but there is definitely a niche of cardholders that will get value from this option.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:03 pm

If we find a $27 mistake fare from Bucharest to Raratonga in 1st class will we be able to buy it for 2700 Starpoints??????
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
If we find a $27 mistake fare from Bucharest to Raratonga in 1st class will we be able to buy it for 2700 Starpoints??????
The minimum point cost, for a ticket up to $150, is 10,000 Starpoints.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by imverge
I just checked for a First Class flight from Toronto to Frankfurt for next summer... 837,213 SPG points per ticket

I found a flight for 1.6 million points using BA F from JFK to NRT.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:03 pm
STM

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ldsant
Another example of no matter what Starwood would have proposed or offered people on this board would complain about it. . .
I have to slightly disagree here. Yes, this is a cynical bunch, but Starwood hyped this a fair amount and the reality (for most) is that it really isn't that useful. Is it bad? No, because it didn't remove anything from the program. The negative reaction is just a matter of (reasonable) expectations not being met. The presentation of the program is the key here. Had Starwood simply sent out an e-mail or website post announcing this enhancement, it would have likely been met with a positive reaction; however, the FlyerTalk pre-announcement hype, conference call, etc. all served to raise hopes. . . perhaps unrealistically.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
agreed with STM. The hype automatically makes the human mind expect something stronger than this. Maybee even 4 points instead of 3, I don't know something stonger.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
I listened to the call this morning while I waited for my flight to leave and I was disappointed. As most everyone has pointed out, this is not a great value in a way to use your points and is really just another "option", marketing nothing more. I was hoping there would be some sort of announcement that would give me some reason to make SPG my #1 hotel program, rather than my #2. You know something that would make me go from 30-50 nights a year to 75-80. Oh well, maybe next time. I was glad to hear that the people who actually make a difference read our posts...now if they choose to act on them is another matter.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Survey said...

So, tell us what you really think about SPG Flights.

https://survey.opinionlab.com/survey/s?s=2262

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Stimpy -- surely you'd acknowledge that getting $1000 value for 10K in SPG points is not a middle-of-the-road experience. That's extra-super-mega-extraordinary by any standard.

I equate a 10K room night with a $180-$200 room rate.
Not quite true in Europe. Costs are MUCH higher here, especially at the high end properties. The deal I had isn't really that extraordinary and it can be found at many Luxury Collection hotels in Europe.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
So, tell us what you really think about SPG Flights.

https://survey.opinionlab.com/survey/s?s=2262

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
And earn a few points to put towards those flights while you're at it - thanks!
(although it did involve filling in name and number - hopefully this will be separated from the data in the processing).
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:27 pm

Lets see - if I complete the survey 4000 times I'll have enough points for a SYD-EZE return in F. RSI here I come
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold
Originally Posted by dibby
And earn a few points to put towards those flights while you're at it - thanks!
(although it did involve filling in name and number - hopefully this will be separated from the data in the processing).
Yup, ditto. Thanks Lurkers and SPG for considering our input.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The FAQ says:
Can I redeem Starpoints for an airline ticket on every airline?

Starpoints can be redeemed for airline tickets on most major carriers worldwide. Starpoints cannot be redeemed for airline tickets on some smaller, local, and/or low-cost airlines.
It looks like Southwest falls into that last category. Has anyone found other non-participating airlines?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:48 pm

1) What happens to current transfers?
2) What happens to nights and flights (IMHO, one of the best benefits).
If there are tinkered with, bad, bad Starwood
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:51 pm

It looks like Southwest falls into that last category. Has anyone found other non-participating airlines?
Westjet, up here in Canada, doesn't seem to have any availability.

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.