Search

Use Starpoints for flights -- SPG Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
STARWOOD hyped? There was ONE post on FT giving the times and call in details for a conference call. It seems to me the remainder of the "hype" came from FT'ers trying to figure out what the announcement might be!

Each FT'er should certainly decide whether they like this enhancement, and can post accordingly if they choose to do so. To complain about the method in which it was presented makes us look juvenile.
Well, that's one of the great things about FT. What seems so clear to one will often be seen quite differently by another.

I disagree with the "juvenile" accusation -- at least with respect to those who voiced the view that this was overplayed and under-delivered.

I see it this way: SPG trumped this bigger than anything else they've ever trumped on FT. Starwood Lurker made a special, very detailed, announcement. Two conference call-ins, timed to accommodate half the world's timezones, tied in to a webcast.

It must be big. Unprecedented posturing and orchestration.

All for a program that the vast majority of FlyerTalk members, who specialize in getting maximum value from their loyalty points and miles, will likely never use. Hence the letdown. Big expectation. Announcement that didn't live up to it.

The program is a nice addition to the SPG portfolio. Great. But the majority of FlyerTalk members aren't the market for it. It's like inviting a local running club to the secret Grand Opening Announcement of a Krispy Kreme donut store. Well, yes, they eat. And while they may cheat and stop in every once in a great while, they know better than to do that -- it's not what they're about. So they'd be let down when they actually heard the unprecedented announcement, and wonder why the company would even think to target them for it.

I applaud SPG for getting ever closer to the FT community. The marketing folks may just need to understand it a little better before taking for granted that what excites them about their new programs, and perhaps excites an average member, will be similarly exciting to the folks here.

Personally, as I said previously, this is a nice addition to the program, and probably one I'll rarely if ever use. I'm glad I didn't get up early for the conference call.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:02 am

I would like to hear what everyone was expecting, or thought this announcement was going to be. What could Starwood offer us that would have been so worth of the "hype" and also not break the bank on their end?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The link to the survey should be included in the 1st post of this thread and be advertised for the 250 points so more members will give their feedback to SPG. Also the other closed thread can be unstiky. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
So, tell us what you really think about SPG Flights.

https://survey.opinionlab.com/survey/s?s=2262

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jbsw
I would like to hear what everyone was expecting, or thought this announcement was going to be. What could Starwood offer us that would have been so worth of the "hype" and also not break the bank on their end?
Who knows.

But good marketing to an educated audience either sets the bar relatively low and then surprises by delivering something more, or manages expectations consistent with what is delivered. Neither happened in this case.

Rather, they successfully peaked curiosity, created expectations -- and delivered a yawner (to this audience). It's not a big deal. At all. But it's why we're seeing the response that we're seeing.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
So, tell us what you really think about SPG Flights.

https://survey.opinionlab.com/survey/s?s=2262

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks for the link. Looks like the deal sites have it now...so it's gonna get hit hard.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...08966&t=912625
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:45 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Well at least we all got a couple hundred points out it.^^

Thank you good sir
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by gozetta
One question: what happens in refund situations (hurricanes, flight route cancels, etc.) to the points burned on the fare?
Hi

Has anyone answered your question? Sorry my software broke down again and I have to answer it this way.

If due to unforeseen circumstances, be it hurricane or military coup, your flight is cancelled as a result, I would advise you to call up the respective flight company and they will handled the issue based on their Terms and conditions.

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:28 am

Programs: *wood Plat, PC Plat RA, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Lets see - if I complete the survey 4000 times I'll have enough points for a SYD-EZE return in F. RSI here I come
It's really good idea.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
While I don't find value in SPG Flights, let me be clear about several things:

1) I don't consider it a negative. Just not worthwhile for me (and most other people).

2) SPG is by far the best hotel loyalty program, IMHO. Their hotels are great. Upgrade opportunities are great, even for Golds. There are some incredible redemption opportunities (especially Cash & Points). The mileage transfer option (and Nights & Flights) is a great deal.

3) The participation by the Lurkers here is very much appreciated, and a model for how companies should have a presence on forums. Thank you William and Thyetus for everything you do!

4) SPG's advisory community is another great way that they're (hopefully) finding new ways to innovate. I'm a bit surprised that the advisory board didn't warn them that this wasn't as big of an announcement as they were making it out to be (although perhaps they did).

5) Thanks in advance for the 250 points! I hope you got some good feedback before it made it out to the deal sites, or that you're able to filter out those results to see what the real response was.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:22 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If I use points for a ticket that books into a refundable fare could I buy the tickets using points and get a full cash refund, or would points be redeposited?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:36 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
most of us have plenty of airline miles so free flights are not that important but for those who don't this is a way to consolidate free hotels and airfare with one credit card and one program.
in my case, my daughter wants to go to college in vermont ( where aa does not fly) and i thought it was just my luck that with tons of frequent flyer miles i will be buying her tickets. but with this program i can get free tickets for holidays with no blackout dates, capacity restrictions on basically any airline. so maybe it is not the best value but if you look at 1.3 cents as after tax dollars it is not so bad either.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I applaud SPG on the new flights program. It's yet another option which is always good. Kudos to them for engaging FlyerTalkers too. I'm guessing the average FlyerTalker is too savvy to use their Starpoints on SPG Flights when better value can be had on free nights, but SPG made the program for everyone not just us.

I'm guessing this is just the start of more innovations at SPG...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:01 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by thepla
If I use points for a ticket that books into a refundable fare could I buy the tickets using points and get a full cash refund, or would points be redeposited?
The Starpoints are not going to be re-deposited at any time for any reason. I assume that if your flight's fare was refundable, the airline would refund it, but they would be the best source for that information as any cancellations/refunds/rebookings are going to be accommodated by them using their own terms and conditions.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just did a flight search FRA-LAX: 1.45 ~ million points in F-class on UA codeshare op by LH, booking class F.

OTOH, a booking next SA, back the following FR in coach was 105,000 points, booking coade H. Coach a few weeks out was 65,000 points, booking coade S. Both on UA or LH or LX via ZRH. On UA the "H" class would allow for an upgrade, the latter "S" would not.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by nroscoe
I applaud SPG on the new flights program. It's yet another option which is always good. Kudos to them for engaging FlyerTalkers too. I'm guessing the average FlyerTalker is too savvy to use their Starpoints on SPG Flights when better value can be had on free nights, but SPG made the program for everyone not just us.

I'm guessing this is just the start of more innovations at SPG...
I love this idea for all those millions of people who've signed up for Amex cards and have been earning points like crazy, contributing to the dilution of my own points. Let these folks fly using their points - they'll probably be thrilled to have this opportunity.

I for one will continue to use points at some of the greatest hotels in the world, using cash+points whenever possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.