Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, AC SE, UA 1K, IC Plat A
current benefits

according to the conference call, the current transfer benefits remain
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
And it does. I just checked an itinerary PHX-MCO for an award ticket I've been trying to snag for someone, but there's no availability. They want F, and are prepared to pay the 50K miles to get it. Through SPG Flights, I'm able to get a number of good itineraries, with dates and times that are ideal, booked in F, for 60K miles.

Now, that's obviously 50% more than the 40K Starpoints that it would take if I were to transfer to a program and have an award ticket issued, but that's not an option in this case, so a 50% premium is a viable option if you have plenty of points.
Yes, I can see it now - Presenting the newest flight availability tool - spgflights.com

on a more serious note - can anyone confirm if these come out of paid inventory?

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Sep 2, 2008 at 4:24 pm
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
on a more serious note - can anyone confirm if these come out of paid inventory?
yes sirree.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by STM
I have to slightly disagree here. Yes, this is a cynical bunch, but Starwood hyped this a fair amount and the reality (for most) is that it really isn't that useful. Is it bad? No, because it didn't remove anything from the program. The negative reaction is just a matter of (reasonable) expectations not being met. The presentation of the program is the key here. Had Starwood simply sent out an e-mail or website post announcing this enhancement, it would have likely been met with a positive reaction; however, the FlyerTalk pre-announcement hype, conference call, etc. all served to raise hopes. . . perhaps unrealistically.
I agree entirely with the above poster's point of view. And I do think that in the current market Starwood will need to add some features of real value to SPG. Otherwise, Starwood's occupancy rates will see a significant decline simply because other loyalty programs offer more attractive options. The list of desirable SPG improvements consists of the obvious: confirmed upgrades, breakfast, internet, parking, weekend nights, etc. It is hard to believe that SPG's marketers are not aware of what they need to offer to attract guests. This flights thing is not what is needed. My guess is that it will have very little impact.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:52 pm

Let's hope the Q4 promo holds more excitement than this long awaited announcement. (That won't be difficult)
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by STM
..... this is a cynical bunch, but Starwood hyped this a fair amount and the reality (for most) is that it really isn't that useful. Is it bad? No, because it didn't remove anything from the program. The negative reaction is just a matter of (reasonable) expectations not being met. The presentation of the program is the key here. Had Starwood simply sent out an e-mail or website post announcing this enhancement, it would have likely been met with a positive reaction; however, the FlyerTalk pre-announcement hype, conference call, etc. all served to raise hopes. . . perhaps unrealistically.
STARWOOD hyped? There was ONE post on FT giving the times and call in details for a conference call. It seems to me the remainder of the "hype" came from FT'ers trying to figure out what the announcement might be!

Each FT'er should certainly decide whether they like this enhancement, and can post accordingly if they choose to do so. To complain about the method in which it was presented makes us look juvenile.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
This is not bad, but I value my SPG points, so I most likely will not use this new redemption feature, but it is good to know it is there. I also like how it shows you the booking class before purchase so you will know exactly how many EQM's you will earn from your FF program ^. I am with Continental, so if I cash in this reward, most likely I will only net 50% EQM's . That is a big factor in not taking advantage of this.

I think I will continue to save my points for a week in Bora Bora or maybe Europe.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
If you value your Starpoints at more than about 1.3 cents (and it's hard not to), SPG Flights is never a good deal. The exact amount varies depending on the value of the ticket, but for most tickets you're getting anywhere between 1.1 cent and 1.35 cents worth of ticket per Starpoint.

Comparing SPG Flights to a transfer and FF redemption, there will be some advantages to SPG Flights, but that's not a valid comparison. To get the full picture, you really need to compare 1) SPG Flights, 2) transfer and FF redemption, and 3) paying cash for a flight. In that case (as long as you value your Starpoints at more than about 1.3 cents), SPG Flights is never the best value.

I can see where this would be useful to the people who earn so many Starpoints that they can't easily spend them all, as they could care less whether or not they get a good value out of them, but for most of us we value them much higher. I know that I typically value them at 2.5 to 3 cents per Starpoint and sometimes I've been able to get as much as 8.5 cents worth of value out of them. If I can't get at least 2.5 cents of value, I pay cash or look at other options.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lesmiz99
I believe in the audacity for change - hence my suggestions.

Clearly a logical person on planet earth would conclude that if a hotel does not have a suite, then the guest should be getting the best available room. And if an early 8:00 am check-in out is not possible, the next available time-slot should be given.

Anyways, that's the problem nowadays: the inability to think out-of-the-box. Or to think, period.
Um, I'm pretty sure your "modified" suggestions are already happening at Starwood-branded hotels all around the world. No out-of-the-box thinking required.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
STARWOOD hyped? There was ONE post on FT giving the times and call in details for a conference call. It seems to me the remainder of the "hype" came from FT'ers trying to figure out what the announcement might be!

Each FT'er should certainly decide whether they like this enhancement, and can post accordingly if they choose to do so. To complain about the method in which it was presented makes us look juvenile.
+1. I think we owe Starwood and the execs a big ^ for embracing the Flyertalk community as much as they have. They were the first to dedicate (amazing) representatives through William and Thyetus to Flyertalk, and they are now holding special sessions to announce changes to the program. On the call they appeared to say that these calls would become a more regular feature of Starwood's outreach to Flyertalk members.

Since this was the first change for which a call was held, it is natural that expectations went through the roof and that there was no way that they could ever meet everyone's expectations. However, regardless of the value that SPG Flights has for each of us, I think we can all agree that there is tremendous value that Starwood embraces Flyertalk as much as they do.

Where is the emoticon for getting off a soapbox?

Last edited by lilpisher; Sep 2, 2008 at 9:01 pm Reason: Misspelled Thyetus' name - sorry Thyetus!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look folks, paying CASH for a F/J ticket is NEVER a good "value" so I don't know why anyone would expect paying SPG points for the same ticket would be a good value either.

Similar to the SP50 certificates, there will be times this program may be useful and other times when it may not be. But the option is there.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
This is not bad, but I value my SPG points, so I most likely will not use this new redemption feature, but it is good to know it is there. I also like how it shows you the booking class before purchase so you will know exactly how many EQM's you will earn from your FF program ^. I am with Continental, so if I cash in this reward, most likely I will only net 50% EQM's . That is a big factor in not taking advantage of this.

I think I will continue to save my points for a week in Bora Bora or maybe Europe.
I agree the cost of the flights seems a little high, but not crazy. I just booked some flights last weekend BNA/ SJU on AA for 60k in F. TH eflight I wanted was not available so I took a later flight. SPG had the noon flight home for 85k. Which I would have taken. Teh rest of the flights were all 60k on AA, but still 85 k on SPG . so for the 10k points you can earn some miles on the airlines.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
If you value your Starpoints at more than about 1.3 cents (and it's hard not to), SPG Flights is never a good deal. The exact amount varies depending on the value of the ticket, but for most tickets you're getting anywhere between 1.1 cent and 1.35 cents worth of ticket per Starpoint.

Comparing SPG Flights to a transfer and FF redemption, there will be some advantages to SPG Flights, but that's not a valid comparison. To get the full picture, you really need to compare 1) SPG Flights, 2) transfer and FF redemption, and 3) paying cash for a flight. In that case (as long as you value your Starpoints at more than about 1.3 cents), SPG Flights is never the best value.

I can see where this would be useful to the people who earn so many Starpoints that they can't easily spend them all, as they could care less whether or not they get a good value out of them, but for most of us we value them much higher. I know that I typically value them at 2.5 to 3 cents per Starpoint and sometimes I've been able to get as much as 8.5 cents worth of value out of them. If I can't get at least 2.5 cents of value, I pay cash or look at other options.
A simple math for me: I use my Starwood CC instead of 2% cashback CC whenever possible. So it is at least 2 cents/pt for me.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by camping
A simple math for me: I use my Starwood CC instead of 2% cashback CC whenever possible. So it is at least 2 cents/pt for me.
Yeah, I'm not sure who values their Starpoints at 1.3 cents or lower. I usually get over 4 cents (or at the very least well over 3) on mine.

By the way, what credit card offers 2% CB on ALL purchases? Or does your cashback card limit you to 2% on select categories?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ajnaro
And I do think that in the current market Starwood will need to add some features of real value to SPG. Otherwise, Starwood's occupancy rates will see a significant decline simply because other loyalty programs offer more attractive options.
Wait a minute. I am not a fan of this flight program, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the SPG program as it is. I think SPG (as a Plat) has the best hotel redemption offerings world-wide. That is the number one benefit to me. And I am very well taken care of at all SPG hotels. For my travels, SPG and IC RA are the best programs and I will continue to stay at these hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.