Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Starpoints for flights -- SPG Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:25 pm

Oh, this old topic

Originally Posted by stimpy
Less Platinums = better upgrades and service. I too wish they would bump it up to 30 stays and 60 nights or something like that.
This old topic... it seems that there is always a call to raise the Plat level to some higher level to knock out others from competing (some say 30, other say 40, or 50, and so on) until we rachet it up to get to the top 0.001% of SPG members..

By that level, the hotels will be so unused to seeing a Plat card that they will have no practice in providing that benefit--because Plats will be so rare.

I for one am happy at the current 25 stay level.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by DCBob
I agree completely. What on earth was the OP smoking to expect a GUARANTEE of a suite and 8 AM check-in? It's still amazing to me that 4 PM check-in is guaranteed for non-resort and non-conference locations.
Maybe for certain level hotels? As a IC Royal Ambassador I get 8AM plus suites. It's on availability, but I have never been denied. Plus I get free minibar. It can be done.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Camino1
Maybe for certain level hotels? As a IC Royal Ambassador I get 8AM plus suites. It's on availability, but I have never been denied. Plus I get free minibar. It can be done.
Hmmm, free minibar... That would save me thousands/year.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Camino1
8 am is guaranteed (you might need the change rooms if the upgrade is not availabe). But you get room without extra payment at 8 am. Free minibar is the trade off for the lounge you do not get as a regular perk. But seriously: When I have suite (with free alcohol and pay-TV) I do not need a lounge (with free coke, honor bar and CNN). Every program has its plus and minus'
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by troyintn
IF the flight you want is at full miles SPG is a decent deal. Also I normally buy my ticket and use points for the wife and kids. I earn and keep more hotel points then anything since, I still only need one room versus 3 plane tickets. In a couple of years we are going to Germany on points. I was stuck with buying a pricey ticket J/C or lose the miles now I can still do both.
It'll still be a pricey ticket, but it'll be pricey with Starpoints instead of cash. I just checked on a Business Class LGA-MUC ticket for March, for instance, and the cheapest option is 255,000 Starpoints (per ticket). If you buy the same ticket, it's $3,186. That's 1.25 cents per Starpoint.

For four tickets, that's over 1 million Starpoints. For that many Starpoints, you can do some pretty incredible things.

With SPG Flights, it all comes down to cents of value per Starpoint, which will always be around 1.3 cents per Starpoint.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
It'll still be a pricey ticket, but it'll be pricey with Starpoints instead of cash. I just checked on a Business Class LGA-MUC ticket for March, for instance, and the cheapest option is 255,000 Starpoints (per ticket). If you buy the same ticket, it's $3,186. That's 1.25 cents per Starpoint.
That follows my calculations very closely. I looked at three air itineraries I was contemplating purchasing and the SPG points 'cost' was very consistent. Frankly, I think I can do far better than $0.013 per point with hotel stays, but I welcome the flexibility.

For many, this may be a good alternative to converting points into FF plans. No sweating over transfer timing and ongoing award availability now that lengthy courtesy holds seem to have been scrapped from (most?) U.S. FF plans.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lilpisher
William,
However, since a First class ticket is generally refundable, the prevailing airline T & Cs would allow for the flight to be voluntarily canceled by the customer. In this situation, where would the money be sent to? Or, is there no mechanism for this? When we are told its to be considered a cash-paid ticket that operates like any ticket directly purchased by the customer, this is were the confusion is caused (I think!).
I would think the cash would go back to SPG as they purchased the ticket. If your employer (or your grandmother, for that matter) pays for your ticket and you cancel, you (as merely the passenger) would not expect to get a refund -- it would go to whoever paid for it in the first place.

Of course, this doesn't seem fair if SPG won't refund your points when they get the cash back, but I guess it's just another thing to consider when deciding if SPG Flights is a worthwhile use of points.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Less Platinums = better upgrades and service. I too wish they would bump it up to 30 stays and 60 nights or something like that.
With bookings down, and promotions starting to pop up, the last thing Starwood will do is to increase the levels you mention. If anything, *wood will do everything it can to attract hotel nights. Reduced levels to many people = opportunity.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dhammer53
With bookings down, and promotions starting to pop up, the last thing Starwood will do is to increase the levels you mention. If anything, *wood will do everything it can to attract hotel nights. Reduced levels to many people = opportunity.
It's a tough decision and they could go either way. I like Intercontinental's approach. They only offer their top level (Royal Ambassador) to their top 1% customers. That is why they can give great benefits such as 8am check in and free mini-bar. I would hope that Starwood can see the benefit of this approach. The worst case (IMHO) is the United Airlines way which heavily dilutes the value of Premier Executive and 1K. Both examples exist and both have their pros and cons. We'll see which one Starwood chooses. I hope they don't go the United way (no pun) and either stay pat or raise the levels.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Globehopper
This old topic... it seems that there is always a call to raise the Plat level to some higher level to knock out others from competing (some say 30, other say 40, or 50, and so on) until we rachet it up to get to the top 0.001% of SPG members..
Not the top 0.001%. Top 1% would be fine. It's my guess that it would be 60 or 65 nights for the top 1%, but that is just a guess.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum
So while we we briefly were talking about improvements to the SPG website, how about being able to see suite award availability and being able to book more than just standard or deluxe award rooms online?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Not the top 0.001%. Top 1% would be fine. It's my guess that it would be 60 or 65 nights for the top 1%, but that is just a guess.

Marriott Plat Premier is SAID to be the top 2%. Evidence is that 150-200+ nights is necessary, and about $40K spend/year. I am one. I can tell you that I am in the 200-210 nights/year and $60K+ range with Marriott.

Dont know how MR and SPG total members works out, but that is just some BASIC evidence from MR.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
You know.....it might not be a "perfect" redemption value, but at least it is another option. Whether or not someone someone uses this program depends on priorities; sometimes, you've got so many miles to burn, it is better than paying $5000 cash for a ticket.

Having said that, using 1.4M points for a F tic SMF-LHR does not seem like a good deal.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by kevinsac

Having said that, using 1.4M points for a F tic SMF-LHR does not seem like a good deal.

But flying a relative up for the holidays for 20K is a great option and one I just exercised!! It's also worth noting that, had I used the airline's FF program for this booking, it would've been 50K in miles AND I'd have also had to spend extra $$ to complete the "free" award booking.

Using SPGflights for International F or J/C bookings will NEVER be a deal for anyone (hasn't that been firmly established at this point?!?), but for the right person at the right time, domestic bookings can make some real sense for some of us with lots of excess SPG points.

Last edited by sbtinme; Sep 7, 2008 at 9:32 am
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Marriott Plat Premier is SAID to be the top 2%. Evidence is that 150-200+ nights is necessary, and about $40K spend/year. I am one. I can tell you that I am in the 200-210 nights/year and $60K+ range with Marriott.
It is kinda sad, however, that whatever "benefits" PP's receive they pale comparison to just plain vanilla SPG PLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.