Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Starpoints for flights -- SPG Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Not the best deal ever, but it certainly represents a spending opportunity not previously available. Like others, I'll stick to using points for hotels, but I do appreciate this new redemption option, whether I'll use it extensively or not.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by orsum
SPG is perfect as it stands.
well, it could be improved upon slightly by making the plat threshold 60 nights per year instead of the current 50.
And why would this be an improvement?

Last edited by Globehopper; Sep 3, 2008 at 7:20 pm
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
1) I can forsee both positive and negative for the programme but it appears that spg is responding to marriott's programme which currently allows more redmeption options as listed https://www.marriott.com/rewards/use-points.mi

2) Based on responses from the asia pacific rep and others, it is quite clear that the company intends this only as a means to offer choice but NOT value to customers. It also allows spg to sell away its obligations if members choose to use points to buy flights as the response so far indicates once points are used, responsibility and liability if anything goes wrong will be pushed to the airlines unless there is potential monetary damage on spg. So for eg, if the purchase is not honoured by the airline but the points have been drawn from the spg account, you are SOL.

3) For posters who wish to submit feedback to spg, please be aware the company is soliciting uncompensated opinions for which if you submit your spg number and details allows them to track you down and monitor your spg account.i am surprised nothing has been said about it in regards to privacy protection. That post is still active.

3) I am equally concerned by the asia pacific's rep of requesting/placing undue influence as a corporate body in their requests. This is in regards to thyetus request for all comments to be under one forum for easy tracking. And that request was made on on a corporate basis and carries the weight of spg management. I find the request to be very offensive.

I would not use flyertalk if such requests are honoured.

Last edited by trekkie; Sep 4, 2008 at 1:14 am
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by trekkie
3) For posters who wish to submit feedback to spg, please be aware the company is soliciting uncompensated opinions for which if you submit your spg number and details allows them to track you down and monitor your spg account.i am surprised nothing has been said about it in regards to privacy protection.

3) I am equally concerned by the asia pacific's rep of requesting/placing undue influence as a corporate body in their requests.

What???
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat

3) For posters who wish to submit feedback to spg, please be aware the company is soliciting uncompensated opinions for which if you submit your spg number and details allows them to track you down and monitor your spg account.i am surprised nothing has been said about it in regards to privacy protection.

3) I am equally concerned by the asia pacific's rep of requesting/placing undue influence as a corporate body in their requests.

In regards to privacy protection, why don't you just not complete the survey? Thyetus and William's input on this thread are most welcome and helpful. It's what makes Flyertalk so unique and valuable.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Globehopper
And why would this be an improvement?
Less Platinums = better upgrades and service. I too wish they would bump it up to 30 stays and 60 nights or something like that.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
3) For posters who wish to submit feedback to spg, please be aware the company is soliciting uncompensated opinions for which if you submit your spg number and details allows them to track you down and monitor your spg account.i am surprised nothing has been said about it in regards to privacy protection. That post is still active.

Don't they already have our spg number and name? And addresses? And credit card numbers? And all kinds of other personal information like bedding preferences? Sort of late in the game to worry about privacy protection....and what are they going to monitor our accounts FOR?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:50 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...3) For posters who wish to submit feedback to spg, please be aware the company is soliciting uncompensated opinions for which if you submit your spg number and details allows them to track you down and monitor your spg account.i am surprised nothing has been said about it in regards to privacy protection. That post is still active.
If you call giving people 250 Starpoints for completing the survey not being compensated, then you are certainly welcome to your opinion, but it seems that many folks on the other thread disagree with you. As for the alleged privacy issue, no one is being asked to provide anything that we don't already have. The only use of that information is to get the 250 Starpoints into the SPG account of the person filling out the survey. I've said that before, but if you want to ignore it or not believe what I said about it, then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

3) I am equally concerned by the asia pacific's rep of requesting/placing undue influence as a corporate body in their requests. This is in regards to thyetus request for all comments to be under one forum for easy tracking. And that request was made on on a corporate basis and carries the weight of spg management. I find the request to be very offensive.

You know, usually I am able to ignore your usual runaway paranoia, but frankly, I think this is really over the top. Thyetus and I are both registered users here at Flyertalk and are subject to the same benefits and restrictions that you are...no more and no less. If asking a moderator to combine several threads so we can better serve the folks here at Flyertalk offends you, then I apologize, but it isn't going to stop us from making the request. Unlike some people, I have full faith in the moderators assigned to this forum to make a reasonable and impartial decision concerning whatever requests are sent their way. If they fulfill our requests, then that is fine. But, guess what...if they don't, that is fine also.

Best regards,

William
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:57 am

...which if you submit your spg number and details allows them to track you down and monitor your spg account...
If they offer enough Starpoints, I'm willing to wear an ankle monitor for them.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
While the award chart suggests the SPG points required are not the best deal it is still a welcome option for those with more points than money at any particular point in time. Also since it is a revenue ticket one could "puchase" a coach ticket and upgrade using stickers or such.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
1)
There are simple ways to separate identifiers from survey data to anonymize data or protect confidentiality that Starwood or a contracted survey firm can use. (Had a good survey methods course in grad school).

On the other hand, I don`t think I exactly revealed family or corporate secrets by filling out the survey, and thought 250 points was a perfectly acceptable compensation for my time and effort.

If Starwood wants to spend any time and effort of their own to "track (me) down " because of my opinion of the new program - hey, bring it on!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by rrgg
+ 1
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:17 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG

How would this seems as a corporate influence? I have never used any words to force or ensure that the moderators obey my requests.

In fact, I asked if it is possible to combine them so that I can answer any questions that I might have missed. How did a simple desire to assist members become something so complicated?

And I would still offer my utmost help to you whoever you are.

[email protected]
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:27 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by rrgg
Is this part of the Q4 Your Choice promo?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Back to the topic

OK, it's time for this thread to return to the topic of the SPG Flights program.

Any more posts related to the off-topic discussion will be deleted and considered a violation of the off-topic rules.

If you have a concern related to the survey, confidentiality, or anything else unrelated to the topic at hand, please address them privately.

-AZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.