Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Starpoints for flights -- SPG Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:40 am

I really don't see what's the big deal about this.

Essentially, SPG is merely providing another option of redeeming one's points. An option that some here have already pointed out is not good value for $ at all but basically a Plan B for urgent unexpected travel.

Anyways, I think it's a wasted opportunity for SPG ... it could have beefed up its elite program rather than expanding it to include 'only a very few will benefit' feature.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
A good, solid, plan B and another option for award travel. Thank you SPG. ^
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as SPG doesn't reduce/eliminate/'enhance' their airline transfer program, this is a Good Thing. It's an extra option, and choices are always good.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
The one thing that would make me happy is hearing the following any time I stay at any Starwood property:

Because of your platinum status, a suite upgrade has been provided for you.

OR

Unfortunately, a platinum suite upgrade is unavailable at this time. We have placed you in our next best room, which is . . . . Please feel free to check in with the front desk tomorrow to see if a suite has become available.

I would be so overjoyed to have the suite upgrade benefit uniformly given, without begging, or accepting the original room and then firing up the computer to see what's available online before going back to the front desk to complain.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Correct. Folks in my office this morning are quite pleased with this news!
I stand by my opinion. I'm happy to have an additional benefit that I may use at some point if necessary, however the majority of Flyertalker's will probably not use this option on a regular basis.

Some people in my office also thought it was a good idea, but they are not people who try to maximize the benefit they receive from their points or miles.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by lesmiz99
No I didn't. Didn't even think the word 'guaranteed'. Re-read the post first before having a seizure.
My apologies.

Um, good luck with your requests.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Originally Posted by lesmiz99

Anyways, I think it's a wasted opportunity for SPG ... it could have beefed up its elite program rather than expanding it to include 'only a very few will benefit' feature.
Ironic much? I'm pretty sure the majority of members in the SPG program are not Plat.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Additional award redeeming options are always great, but I don't consider this as a major enhancement, especially with all the hype and anticipation getting built up only to be led down to a major disappointment

One major benefit is that since this is based on the actual ticket prices, you will most likely still earn airline miles since you are redeeming your spg points for an actual paid airline ticket. @:-)
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:48 am

This seems like a points devaluation to me. SPG points have been worth as much as 2x airline miles (when seats are available for award travel). It's a nice feature to be able to buy any available seat, but I can do that with my Amex MR at $.01 per point already, and this adds very little incremental value over that. And I'd be using points that I could be using for 2x that if I wait until another trip where FF seats are available.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:48 am

I just checked for a First Class flight from Toronto to Frankfurt for next summer... 837,213 SPG points per ticket

I can transfer 80K SPG points into Air Canada Aeroplan miles which would be enough for the same First Class ticket.

I think I'll pass on this new feature...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by aviators99
This seems like a points devaluation to me. SPG points have been worth as much as 2x airline miles (when seats are available for award travel). It's a nice feature to be able to buy any available seat, but I can do that with my Amex MR at $.01 per point already, and this adds very little incremental value over that. And I'd be using points that I could be using for 2x that if I wait until another trip where FF seats are available.
Sorry, "devaluation" is the wrong word. I just meant a way to get you to use your points for less.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:59 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by dingo
I'd say your negative response with a bent toward personal attacks is utterly ridiculous Kate.
Don't know where you are inferring personal attacks, but those are not "personal attacks".

Calling an IDEA "ridiculous" or even "utterly ridiculous" is not a personal attack. It is simply debate.

OTOH, calling a person stupid, or a loser, or that their mother is fat, would be a "personal attack."

Let's not get insulted by criticism of ideas folks. That is what good healthy debate is all about.

That said, I would agree that in most circumstances it would seem I can get more value from either using my SPG points for expensive rooms on vacation, or by transferring the points to the airline directly and using for biz class tickets TATL.

I could see circumstances where someone might want to use them in an emergency, but I don't see myself using SPG Flights.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Since these are purchased tickets, maybe in the future they'll allow us to use SPG pts. for one way tickets. That could be worthwhile and come in handy!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Thumbs up from me

This is an excellent enhancement and here's why...

SPG Flights will essentially be like regular revenue tickets. You will earn both frequent flyer miles and elite qualifying miles on your airline of choice (according to the FAQs). This makes me think that the process is similar to Amex membership rewards flight redemptions. This alone makes the program attractive in certain scenarios, since unlike airline programs there is no disincentive to using the points if you need additional miles to reach an elite status threshold.

For example, I just recently booked a flight from the East Coast to Seattle for $250 all-in. Had I booked this using the new SPG Flights option, the ticket would have required 20,000 Starpoints, but after flying I would have earned back an additional 9,000 frequent flyer miles. See the Mileage Run forum for excellent ways to maximize your value.

I agree that Starpoints are very valuable as loyalty currencies go, but there are absolutely circumstances in which SPG Flights will be a fantastic option. Thanks SPG!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The message that I am getting is I need to become a corporate purchasing manager and buy everything with a Starwood Amex card. Those are the only people who will benefit from this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.