Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:51 am
Suspended

TravelingGnome, sorry to disagree some what with you.
This hotel has had that level of being Kosher for 30+ yrs
They did a large biz with Tour Groups both Jewish and Non-Jewish, not as much in the past 4 yrs when the Intafada started up again.

A Biz hotel, WHO goes to Jerusalem on /for BIZ!!??? If someone should happen to they most likely will be staying at The Davids Citadel, King David, or Inbal.
As for weekends (re:Fri & Sat) since its a mere 20 min walk to the Kotel (aka Western Wall) and across from The Great Synagogue is the reason people go there. NOW this Hotel is NOT in General a Shabbath observing Hotel, meaning one can check-in or out. The restaurants will be closed as is the case by any hotel not in East Jerusalem (the Arab section) probably no room service or at least hot food. In the summer time I believe that the pool is Open as it is by any hotel sometimes with reduced hrs but its open.
as for lack of acknowledgement of SPG, good morning but you do get your pts. Now the Hyatt is no longer in JRS or the Dead Sea, The hilton has closed up twice - the 1st one is The Crowne Plaza and the 2nd is The Davids Citadel. there is a Renaissance (part of Marriott) but not in the hotel area where most of the hotels are. so if a Chain is what you want you got The Plaza or Renaissance thats it.
as for catering to the In-Israel crowd what did you expect when Tourism came to a halt 3+ yrs ago. Had the tourists still kept going they wouldnt have needed to do so. But then again DisneyLand in LA offers Cal residents really discounted prices during their low season and doesnt advertise much since they know when tourists will come there.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I stayed at the Plaza for two nights in November. Similar upgrade experiences as other Platinums, but was offered a suite for the second of my two nights when it became available. I didn't feel like moving though, so I stayed where I was.

An important thing to note about this hotel is that only some of the rooms are renovated, and they are much nicer than the older dingy rooms. Be sure to insist on a recently renovated room.

To me, one of the highlights of the hotel was the concierge. I think that he has been at the hotel for over 20 years. I asked him to arrange reservations for us at a very good restaurant, and the manager of the restaurant brought us a very nice bottle of wine at no charge. I'm not sure whether the hotel or restaurant picked up the tab for it, but either way it came as a result of the concierge. On our second morning there, I asked him what the charge would be to invite a guest for the breakfast buffet. He told me that it would normally be $21 US, but that he would be happy to waive the charge and invite my guest as a guest of the hotel. Finally, when he learned that our flight wasn't departing until 1:00 am, he told me that they would be glad to offer me a 9:00pm late checkout so that we wouldn't be without a room for the evening.

Outstanding service!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:02 pm

We stayed there on points in Summer of '03. We received less than gracious treatment from the front desk when they found out that we were staying on points. Although we did supposedly get an upgrade to a "renovated" room. It seemed like they felt that we were getting something for "free" that we were not entitled to.
Also, watch out! We were not told that breakfast was not included so when we checked out we were hit with a $300 bill for breakfast for a week which we thought was included as it is when you are a paying guest. Not so.
Still, you can't beat the starwood points deal in Jerusalem if you don't want to pay the DC or KD rates.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:43 pm
Suspended

grupie, I had the same problem, except when I checked in I was told I was upgraded to the Club floor. I asked about a Club lounge for breakfast and was told to go downstairs for bkfst. after walking in no one at the door nor really in the dining either. I took a couple plates of food and set it down on the table, as I started to eat I was asked for my room #, as I was leaving I was asked to sign a piece of paper, then I knew I was in trouble. Went to the front desk and they waived it, I never went back down after that.
Didnt they ask you to sign the paper also? that should have set the bells off as it did by me.
The T&Cs do stae as I found out on my return that its ROOM only
Old May 1, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
There was a time in my life when I went to Israel every 12 - 18 months. Sadly, We have not been there for about 13 years. When we began discussing going back during the summer of 2006, our three adult kids picked up on it and all mentioned that they too looked forward to returning.

In our trips to Israel, I've stayed at the Laromme (now the Inbal), the King David and the Sheraton Plaza. We loved them all but especially loved the location of the Sheraton. I would clearly love to use points for four rooms for 7 nights but finding out that this hotel is now a Category One has me nervous. Has it gone down so dramatically that they had to downgrade it so serverely? On the other hand, paying for 4 rooms at the Inbal for 7 nights would be many thousands of dollars.

If you were me, would you be nervous about the hotel being a dive, or should I just be grateful that I can take my family there for so little money and so few points? Thanks.
Old May 1, 2005, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by stevens397
In our trips to Israel, I've stayed at the Laromme (now the Inbal), the King David and the Sheraton Plaza. We loved them all but especially loved the location of the Sheraton. I would clearly love to use points for four rooms for 7 nights but finding out that this hotel is now a Category One has me nervous. Has it gone down so dramatically that they had to downgrade it so serverely? On the other hand, paying for 4 rooms at the Inbal for 7 nights would be many thousands of dollars.

If you were me, would you be nervous about the hotel being a dive, or should I just be grateful that I can take my family there for so little money and so few points? Thanks.
The hotel has begun to renovate its rooms. As of last November, only some floors had been redone. If you can get renovated rooms, as I did, then you'll be fine. They are actually quite nice.

On my most recent trip I also spent a few nights at the Inbal, and that is definately a hotel that has gone downhill over the past few years. I'm not sure whether the Inbal management isn't putting the money into upkeep the way Laromme did when it managed it, but my room was really rundown. I had previously stayed there 4 years earlier, and the deterioration was very evident. If I had a choice between the rundown room at the Inbal and the renovated room at the Sheraton, I'd definately pick the Sheraton.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

I stayed at the Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza last week, but I was told that I would be charged NIS 45/person if I ate the breakfast because I was staying with starpoints.
Every regular booking includes the free breakfast.
Is this indeed in-line SPG policy, does a points booking not entitle you to the same treatment as every other booking?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:18 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I stayed at the Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza last week, but I was told that I would be charged NIS 45/person if I ate the breakfast because I was staying with starpoints.
Is this indeed in-line SPG policy, does a points booking not entitle you to the same treatment as every other booking?
None of the room descriptions of the rooms available at this hotel say, "Breakfast Included", so the hotel can make this exclusion if they wish on award stays.

The free breakfast is a feature of the rate plan being booked, not the room type:

Rate Plan Description Best Rate With Breakfast

Breakfast Included.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . .Is this indeed in-line SPG policy, does a points booking not entitle you to the same treatment as every other booking?
I don't know about policy, but I've seen this a few times. It seems to be standard practice in SPG hotels that include breakfast in the rate, at least at those I've stayed at using points.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:30 am

I have to say that for $10 it's really a good value. Very good breakfast in this property.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

I am a Platinum considering an award stay at the Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza. I take it all the rooms would have been renovated by now, so the old threads about making sure you get a renovated room are not relevant. Also, the hotel's web site indicates that there is a club lounge:

"The Club Lounge, accessible to Sheraton Club guests, offers complimentary breakfast, evening hors d’oeuvres and a variety of beverages. It’s the perfect environment to meet with your team, connect with friends, or relax in front of a 42” Plasma HDTV"
What are people's recent experiences with Platinum suite upgrades? We would be staying there for 5 nights thru Dec. 24th.

Also, what do people think about the following proposed itinerary, using the Sheraton Jerusalem as "base camp":

Day 1 (Friday): Arrive 3:10 PM (BOS-LHR-TLV). Taxi from Airport to Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza Hotel. Light family dinner.

Day 2 (Saturday): Daughter's Bat Mitzvah, followed by bigger family celebration.

Day 3 (Sunday): Jerusalem - tour temples and churches, ride a camel, walk thru old city, etc.

Day 4 (Monday): Massada, Dead Sea, maybe a Kibbutz visit

Day 5 (Tuesday): If we don't visit a Kibbutz on Day 4, we could visit one on Day 5, and what else should we do on that day?

Should we rent a car for days 4 and 5, or take a taxi?

Day 6 (Wednesday): fly to Cairo.

Does any have a great guide to recommend?

Thanx.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by nologic
I am a Platinum considering an award stay at the Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza. I take it all the rooms would have been renovated by now, so the old threads about making sure you get a renovated room are not relevant. Also, the hotel's web site indicates that there is a club lounge:

"The Club Lounge, accessible to Sheraton Club guests, offers complimentary breakfast, evening hors d’oeuvres and a variety of beverages. It’s the perfect environment to meet with your team, connect with friends, or relax in front of a 42” Plasma HDTV"
What are people's recent experiences with Platinum suite upgrades? We would be staying there for 5 nights thru Dec. 24th.

Also, what do people think about the following proposed itinerary, using the Sheraton Jerusalem as "base camp":

Day 1 (Friday): Arrive 3:10 PM (BOS-LHR-TLV). Taxi from Airport to Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza Hotel. Light family dinner.

Day 2 (Saturday): Daughter's Bat Mitzvah, followed by bigger family celebration.

Day 3 (Sunday): Jerusalem - tour temples and churches, ride a camel, walk thru old city, etc.

Day 5 (Tuesday): If we don't visit a Kibbutz on Day 4, we could visit one on Day 5, and what else should we do on that day?

Thanx.
If they have a lounge, it must be pretty new. I've stayed there many times, but not since July '06, and if they had a lounge then they didn't tell me about it.

I think it's a pretty rushed trip. Are you sure that you want to arrive in Israel less than 24 hours prior to your daughter's bat mitzvah? What if there is a flight delay? If it were me, I'd allow a day or two to deal with the big time change/jet lag before your daughter's bat mitzvah. Also, if you're planning the bigger celebration to be at the hotel, you might want to get there on a day that isn't Shabbat in order to meet with the catering office and ensure that everything is in place.

I would definately hire a guide for the Old City, even if it is only for half a day. I've done it both ways and you really need a good guide to understand the history and significance of the sites you'll see.

I'd skip visiting a kibbutz since your time is so short, or combine it with the trip to Masada visiting Kibbutz Ein Gedi. Arrange a visit/tour with the kibbutz ahead of time. Here's their website: http://www.ngedi.com/

I'd schedule a couple hours to visit the new Yad Vashem Holocaust Musum, which is extremely well done. It is only a 10-15 minute cab ride from your hotel. If you want to do something different from most tourists, visit a place called Lifeline for the Old. Go in the morning and visit the workshops. This is a place where elderly and mentally challenged people come to work every day. It gives them purpose. It is not a seniors' home, but a workplace. They are taught new trades at age 70,80,90, be it bookbinding, metalwork, ceramics, etc. and they produce remarkable work that is for sale in their giftshop. Jews, Christians and Muslims working side by side. Here is their website: www.lifeline.org.il

You might want to spend day 4 or 5 visiting the Tel Aviv area including Old Jaffa. If you go, spend some time in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood. One of the city's oldest neighborhoods has been revitalized in recent years and has great cafe's, shops, galleries and beautifully restored old buildings.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ac/elite
If they have a lounge, it must be pretty new. I've stayed there many times, but not since July '06, and if they had a lounge then they didn't tell me about it.

It's now featured on their website -- one would think an international Sheraton should have a lounge -- I doubt they are making it up, and given that it features a 42 inch plasma TV, it probably is pretty new.

I think it's a pretty rushed trip. Are you sure that you want to arrive in Israel less than 24 hours prior to your daughter's bat mitzvah? What if there is a flight delay? If it were me, I'd allow a day or two to deal with the big time change/jet lag before your daughter's bat mitzvah.

The problem is school, which really doesn't get out until the following Tuesday. The older daughter can't miss that much. She has exams which will have to re-scheduled, and it's going to be a an issue and a challenge with the administration as is. If it's any "better", at least we intent on going over in BA First, so they should be able to get a fair amount of sleep, but I agree, it's a long day, and the time change will be a challenge.

Also, if you're planning the bigger celebration to be at the hotel, you might want to get there on a day that isn't Shabbat in order to meet with the catering office and ensure that everything is in place.

My brother's family has taken care of all that -- this is a dual event with his son, and they have made all the arrangements for the with the temple and dinner(s).

I would definately hire a guide for the Old City, even if it is only for half a day. I've done it both ways and you really need a good guide to understand the history and significance of the sites you'll see.

I agree...I would want a guide for everything, except we can skip out to Yad Vasham and maybe the Time Elevator on our own.

I'd skip visiting a kibbutz since your time is so short, or combine it with the trip to Masada visiting Kibbutz Ein Gedi. Arrange a visit/tour with the kibbutz ahead of time. Here's their website: http://www.ngedi.com/

I agree. We would integrate the Kibbutz visit with one of the other day's activities -- maybe 1-2 hours at the Kibbutz touring and talking with some members about their lifestyle.

I'd schedule a couple hours to visit the new Yad Vashem Holocaust Musum, which is extremely well done. It is only a 10-15 minute cab ride from your hotel.

Agreed and will do, see above.

If you want to do something different from most tourists, visit a place called Lifeline for the Old. Go in the morning and visit the workshops. This is a place where elderly and mentally challenged people come to work every day. It gives them purpose. It is not a seniors' home, but a workplace. They are taught new trades at age 70,80,90, be it bookbinding, metalwork, ceramics, etc. and they produce remarkable work that is for sale in their giftshop. Jews, Christians and Muslims working side by side. Here is their website: www.lifeline.org.il

You might want to spend day 4 or 5 visiting the Tel Aviv area including Old Jaffa. If you go, spend some time in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood. One of the city's oldest neighborhoods has been revitalized in recent years and has great cafe's, shops, galleries and beautifully restored old buildings.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your suggestions. The other input seems to be to go North?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat

I also know nothing of a lounge. All guests, as far as I know, can get breakfast in the dining room. I have never seen a plasma TV, however, there is a workout room and pool, if I remember correctly.

Mazal Tov!

I have 2 friends who are proffesional tour guides. They work through some of the larger tour agencies, but it is much better to talk to them directly. PM me if you would like their contact info. (They are truly excellent. Proffesional, knowledgeable , and fun!)

Some of the places that you missed and might want to think about are:

Tel Aviv
Yad V'Shem (a must)
Hazeirim (The air force museum by Be'er sheva, outstanding)
Ein Gedi, which is right by massadda/dead sea.
Spend a night in Kibbutz Lavi, in the galile. They have a hotel, and it is 15 minutes from tevaria.

Thanx.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
The other input seems to be to go North?
That wouldn't be my suggestion, although there are many great places to visit in the north. I just don't think that you need to drive 3 hours each way to the north when you only have 5 days total. Your Masada day will already involve driving an hour and a half each way and will be a full day if you want to go to the Dead Sea and a kibbutz. TLVorbust makes a good suggestion in visiting Ein Gedi (the oasis) while you're in the area of Masada.

If you do decide to go north, TLVorbust's suggestion of the Kibbutz Lavi guesthouse is a good one. I've stayed there as well. However, I don't personally think that there is that much to see in Tevaria (Tiberias). If you're in the north, I'd rather visit Tzfat and Haifa. You could do Tzfat in a reasonably short drive from kibbutz Lavi.

I also have a guide I could recommend. PM me if you need his name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.