Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2009, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sam33
The suite I had last week, (1024) was two rooms w' a long balcony- I don't recall anything special about the windows - didn't spend too much time in the room.
Reading the rest of the discussion here, I recall getting the last room on the right on the 19th floor a few years ago (left out of the elevator), and it had quite a large living / dining room area, a little hallway, bathroom, and then the bedroom had two balconies (a small covered one on the left, and a door to the other long one on the other side). It would have been perfect, if not for the malfunctioning bathroom.
I'm not sad to see this place dropped from Starwood, but it would be nice to have an option in Jerusalem..... Is there any chance that Starwood might negotiate with another property ?
Like where?

I doubt The King David is leaving the Dan famly any time soon, Davids Citadel re;Alrov threw out Hilton and was doing nicely w/o anyone, that leaves THe Inbal, they too went on their own and are doing fine

I know theres suppose to be a couple of new high end places 1- will be A Waldorf Collection the other maybe 4 seasons. So till another property to be built comes along and I dont see that a happenin, Id say SPG wont have a place anytime soon
Old May 31, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
I remember when Alrov fell out with Hilton, that was a long time ago. In an economic boom, operators don't need the branded benefit, but I'm sure in a weak market things will be very different. Let's see occupancy in 6 mo's....
Also, not all these new projects are likely to be completed anytime soon. The Waldorf is way behind schedule, and I know a few investors who've just been offered 20% off what was being asked last year.
Old May 31, 2009, 3:05 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by sam33
I remember when Alrov fell out with Hilton, that was a long time ago. In an economic boom, operators don't need the branded benefit, but I'm sure in a weak market things will be very different. Let's see occupancy in 6 mo's....
In a weak market the operator doesn't necessarily want to have to deal with the expenses associated with keeping up with the standards of a multinational chain. Isn't this what happened with Hyatt in Jerusalem?
Old May 31, 2009, 3:34 pm

Its Official

On the SPG Website, Click on "Special Conditions" by the above hotel and you get this:

"The Sheraton *** will be leaving the Starwood system on June 30, 2009. Reservations for dates on or after June 30, 2009, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual."

Last edited by ittboss; May 31, 2009 at 3:40 pm Reason: typo
Old May 31, 2009, 3:37 pm

BTW it sounds from the above that they will respect reservations just without the benifits. Does that make sense?
Old May 31, 2009, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ittboss
BTW it sounds from the above that they will respect reservations just without the benifits. Does that make sense?
Generally, paid reservations are kept at the same rates. Award reservation are often not honored after the departure date (depends on the specific instance of a hotel's leaving Starwood).
Old May 31, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
In a weak market the operator doesn't necessarily want to have to deal with the expenses associated with keeping up with the standards of a multinational chain. Isn't this what happened with Hyatt in Jerusalem?
I don't know what happened with Hyatt in J'm - iirc, it was what turned out to be a very bad gamble on the location, as in 'right hotel wrong place'. And judging by the comparatively low standards in various 'branded' hotels in Israel, I'd have to bet that these chains have a very high tolerance for the Israeli version of 'high standards'. The David Citadel (& the service @ the King David) being obvious exceptions.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:04 am

FYI I'm friendly with a few people who own apts/rms in the plaza all corner rooms are either owned or timeshared. 01/03 and 02/04 is considered a Junier suite which is basicly a reg room (03/04) and a large living room (01/02) it is rare that one of these combos are available. also sometime the hotel takes a 01 or 02 room and converts it into a large bedroom (i don't think this is deluxe) the way to try and get this room which is larger is to request a standing shower as these rooms have it. but as usual don't get your hopes up :-)
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ittboss
Im sure the Hotel would Love to keep any and all $$$ res

I wouldnt want to drop $400 per night and get nothing for it. Id rather pay alittle more and go over to The Davids Citadel or King David, or save alot and go to The Ramada (old Renaissance but no pts here either as of yet)
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by damaxer91
The "2010" estimate is pushing it a bit. The sign outside the site currently says "Opening December 2010". Though from looking at the site one would think that even that is a reach
Confirming this. We stopped at the David Citadel, across from the site of the Palace, and walked past it daily from our hotel up Hillel Street, and it doesn't even appear they're actively working at the moment. December 2010 is VERY optimistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.