Search

GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:47 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by craz

Thanks

1 more question (I think) the Hotel does have it seems Classic (Standard) New City View and DeLuxe New City View , Both have 2 single beds! so what is the difference in rooms? just click onto my link in my post above this post and you will see exactly what I just posted.
I'm sorry, but I really don't know what differentiation the hotel uses to determine standard vs. deluxe when they have the same view. Regrettably, I am not allowed to contact this property to find out as well.

William Im not trying to stir the Pot for stirring sake. As you know Ive stayed here as recently as last week and became last June friendly with the person who assigns the rooms, although I was very pressed for time last week (only 2 nights in Israel) and didnt have the opportunity to visit with her, even thou I was at the Hotel. As per Her all the rooms besides the Suites are the Same, a couple have a small balcony 4 per floor, others a double balcony 4 per floor (a # are privately owned) and the 21st & 22nd floors all with a large balcony the width of the room and proturding appx 6'ft from the main walls of the building. Ive yet to see a room that was renovated that looked any different then any other in furniture or size that wasnt a Suite...
No, I didn't think you were, but I'm not a resource for sorting this out, so I suggest doing so when you are next in residence. All I can tell you is what they are using for each award type and that they do make a distinction based upon view, but what makes one a standard and another a deluxe with the same view, I have no idea.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I'm sorry, but I really don't know what differentiation the hotel uses to determine standard vs. deluxe when they have the same view. Regrettably, I am not allowed to contact this property to find out as well.

No, I didn't think you were, but I'm not a resource for sorting this out, so I suggest doing so when you are next in residence. All I can tell you is what they are using for each award type and that they do make a distinction based upon view, but what makes one a standard and another a deluxe with the same view, I have no idea.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I hear ya THANKS, I would have thought somebody within SPG would be able to ask the Hotel for Clarity on this, and I was wrong thinking you would be able to.

I guess I will ask the next time over there, it is preplexing. I do understand they have assigned different rooms different Codes for SPG award sake. But as by You I cant figure out what the difference is in room types when the rooms face the same way, are the exact same size with the exact same furniture and bed types and with both Smoking and Non-smoking.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: BA, LY,TK
I was just at the Plaza last week and heard that Rama has left, a new CEO is in and that Ode is now the Manager of the front desk.
I would speak to Ode about any questions you might have I find him very helpful.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by elihassett
I was just at the Plaza last week and heard that Rama has left, a new CEO is in and that Ode is now the Manager of the front desk.
I would speak to Ode about any questions you might have I find him very helpful.
I wonder if shaking things up will improve the service there at all? I was also there last week and I was impressed with a few things...

1. For the first time in about 20 years, there is a new & improved menu in the lobby lounge. The renovations in the lobby are complete and things are definitely looking good. A "Lounge" has been set up in the lobby complete with 3 computers, which are free of use for all guests

2. There is no longer a "Gift Shop" in the hotel, It has been replaced by a new store selling lotions and fragrances.

3. For all of the Orthodox Jews out there: The hotel has built a state of the art Synagogue and now holds prayers 3 times a day, 7 times a week. In addition, there is a Mikvah (Jewish Ritual Bath) being built in the back of the hotel, though it looks pretty far from completion.

4. The floor by floor renovation of the guest rooms has almost been completed, though I noticed that some of the new rooms still have the 1980's style television. Most have 32' LCD TV's.

5. Most importantly, my points and stay credits were posted within 24 hours of check-out without requiring a single action on my part!

It seems that the new owner, Shaya Boymelgreen, has made a rather successful effort to improve the appearance and environment in the hotel, though it remains to be seen whether the service will pick up...My bet is that it gets raised to at least a CAT 4 when we see the new list in the next couple of weeks..
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by damaxer91
I wonder if shaking things up will improve the service there at all? I was also there last week and I was impressed with a few things...

1. For the first time in about 20 years, there is a new & improved menu in the lobby lounge. The renovations in the lobby are complete and things are definitely looking good. A "Lounge" has been set up in the lobby complete with 3 computers, which are free of use for all guests

2. There is no longer a "Gift Shop" in the hotel, It has been replaced by a new store selling lotions and fragrances.

3. For all of the Orthodox Jews out there: The hotel has built a state of the art Synagogue and now holds prayers 3 times a day, 7 times a week. In addition, there is a Mikvah (Jewish Ritual Bath) being built in the back of the hotel, though it looks pretty far from completion.

4. The floor by floor renovation of the guest rooms has almost been completed, though I noticed that some of the new rooms still have the 1980's style television. Most have 32' LCD TV's.

5. Most importantly, my points and stay credits were posted within 24 hours of check-out without requiring a single action on my part!

It seems that the new owner, Shaya Boymelgreen, has made a rather successful effort to improve the appearance and environment in the hotel, though it remains to be seen whether the service will pick up...My bet is that it gets raised to at least a CAT 4 when we see the new list in the next couple of weeks..
I guess my prediction was correct. Hotel has been moved to CAT 4
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:34 am
Suspended

I guess my prediction was correct. Hotel has been moved to CAT 4
This may explain why I wasnt able to find anything for free stays or C&P in May-Oct for numerous dates.

It was worth it for C&P and slightly for Free Nights as a Cat3, it was definitely not worth it for the $$ they were asking. As a Cat4 it would barely worth it for C&P, not worth burning the pts for this place.

OK they put some heavy $$$ into it but its still simply a room without much else that most Hotels offer

It was nice till now but seems if it becomes a Cat4 then tim eto move elsewhere for Me at least.

Fuuny last yr the Hotels were complaining that with the US$ so low against the Shek they had to raise Rates, well the Shek is back over 4 to appx 4.15 and the Rtaes instead of going down were raised even higher by most Hotels. Got to Love these people
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
Thumbs down Sheraton Jerusalem: Confirmed No More Classic Rooms

I just spoke with Yael in reservations. She has confirmed that as of March 1 the hotel will no longer be selling classic rooms. As such in order to use an award it will require not only a cat 4 but a specialty room. She has stated that the lowest level room in the hotel is a Deluxe room. SPG this is unfair I understand that categories go up and down but to remove a standard room from the hotel is simply wrong. William I know we discussed this before but this is the first time the hotel has confirmed it is there really nothing that can be done??
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by benolaa
I just spoke with Yael in reservations. She has confirmed that as of March 1 the hotel will no longer be selling classic rooms. As such in order to use an award it will require not only a cat 4 but a specialty room. She has stated that the lowest level room in the hotel is a Deluxe room. SPG this is unfair I understand that categories go up and down but to remove a standard room from the hotel is simply wrong. William I know we discussed this before but this is the first time the hotel has confirmed it is there really nothing that can be done??
We all have tried (in vain) for many years to explain to SPG that the Israeli Hotels do whatever they want without even worrying the slightest about SPG. I have wrote countless letters, made way to many phone calls, and even spoken to several managers of Israeli SPG Hotels. According to one of the managers, "We are not owned by Starwood, so they can't tell us what to do". That pretty much sums up their attitude!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by benolaa
Oh, and don't take their word on that. They have plenty of availability of standard rooms on points (and C&P) for several upcoming dates, including this Sunday. They almost never release C&P far in advance, rather they wait until a week or two before and take stock of inventory. Unless the hotel is sold out (or very full), you can almost always get C&P a few days in advance. What I usually do is make a regular reservation in advance and check a few days before for C&P.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:34 am

Waldorf-Astoria's Palace Hotel Jerusalem

We all have tried (in vain) for many years to explain to SPG that the Israeli Hotels do whatever they want without even worrying the slightest about SPG. I have wrote countless letters, made way to many phone calls, and even spoken to several managers of Israeli SPG Hotels. According to one of the managers, "We are not owned by Starwood, so they can't tell us what to do". That pretty much sums up their attitude!
There is a bright light on the 2010 horizon, namely the new Waldorf-Astoria's Palace Hotel in Jerusalem, so start saving your Hilton points.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...y_in_Jerusalem
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
There is a bright light on the 2010 horizon, namely the new Waldorf-Astoria's Palace Hotel in Jerusalem, so start saving your Hilton points.

The "2010" estimate is pushing it a bit. The sign outside the site currently says "Opening December 2010". Though from looking at the site one would think that even that is a reach
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
Originally Posted by Bondiboy

If only it were a Hilton. Unfortunately, the W-A brand will not compete with the sub-par (at least from a SPG participation perspective) Sheraton Plaza. Great news for people with Hilton points to burn. Not as good news for SPG members hoping for some healthy competition to force the Sheraton Plaza to lift its game.

Every now and again, people rumour new *wood properties in Jerusalem, but it's never happened.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by yossimills
If only it were a Hilton. Unfortunately, the W-A brand will not compete with the sub-par (at least from a SPG participation perspective) Sheraton Plaza. Great news for people with Hilton points to burn. Not as good news for SPG members hoping for some healthy competition to force the Sheraton Plaza to lift its game.

Every now and again, people rumour new *wood properties in Jerusalem, but it's never happened.
True, but anyone who is naive enough to believe that the W-A will feature 5* service has not spent enough time in so-called "Luxury Hotels" in Israel
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond
Interesting, as they have a Classic Room available on points for April 1st. Maybe we should let one of the Lurkers clarify, because when I checked dates in November '09, I could not find a single day with anything on points available (for a standard award).
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I am concerned, if they get rid of the "classic" designation, then the "deluxe" rooms should become the standard rooms available for award nights. Lots of hotels term their basic rooms "deluxe".

SPG specifically enumerates hotels at which extra points are required for redemptions (above the category level)--there is one Cat 5 and one cat 6, but most are Cat 7:
(3) Free Night Awards at the following locations require higher Starpoint redemption amounts either because the hotel does not have standard rooms or the standard rooms it offers have a mandatory Full Board requirement in peak seasons: St. Regis Resort Bora Bora, and Le Méridien Bora Bora, Bora Bora, French Polynesia; The St. Regis Bali Resort, Bali, Indonesia; W Maldives, Maldives; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, Florida; The Resort at Singer Island, Singer Island, Florida; Mystique, Santorini, Greece; Pine Cliff Residences, Albuferia, Portugal; and Cala Di Volpe, Hotel Pitrizza, and Hotel Romazzino, Porto Cervo, Italy. The minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at The Resort at Singer Island, a Category 5 property, ranges from 24,000 to 64,000 Starpoints; the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the Pine Cliff Residences, which is a Category 6 hotel, is 40,000 to 100,000 Starpoints; and the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the other listed properties, which are all Category 7 properties, ranges from 60,000 to 140,000 Starpoints depending on the hotel, its category, its room types, the time of year, and/or its mandatory requirements. Redemptions at these hotels must be booked through your local customer contact center.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ee_nights.html

Sheraton Jerusalem isn't on that list. Therefore, I am of the opinion that they are obligated to offer award nights for the Category 4 10,000 points/night rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.