Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by universalrooster

The issue isn't about you like religious jews or else go to Arab East Jerusalem. Israel is an extraordinarily diverse country (including Jerusalem) with many distinct forms of Judaism, other religions, and secularism. There are many hotels in Israel where non-Orthodox will feel comfortable.
taking Israel as a whole you are correct, in regards to Jerusalem you are not that is except for The Crowne Plaza which doesnt get many if any Religious Jews or the 1 or 2 or 3 Star Hotels, go to any 4 or 5 star and it will be filled with Religious Jews
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:40 pm

Bottom line: this hotel is a complete pig and is to be avoided at all costs. For the money, there are way better properties in Jerusalem, and, while the property isn't dirty, it does feel well worn....
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raindeer
Bottom line: this hotel is a complete pig and is to be avoided at all costs. For the money, there are way better properties in Jerusalem, and, while the property isn't dirty, it does feel well worn....

I agree Yet, 1- the Hotel is presently under going renovations and the rooms are very nicely furnished, small bathrooms. I believe it has more to do with a number of new 5* Hotels that are presently being built within a 10 min walk of The Plaza

2- since alot of the rooms and most suites are privately owned the Hotel simply cant just go do what it pleases when it wants to.

I dont consider the Hotel to be a complete pig, only that it offers very little in the way of anything except for a Room with beds in it.No lounge, no health club, no indoor pool,no real lobby, no biz center so to speak other then a closet with 2 computers in it that costs an arm & leg to use.

they ask for and get alot of $$$ per night and with the new Hotels that will be opening being way Upscale from The Plaza and probably will be having much higher rates, I dont see The Plazas rates coming down any time soon. If anything since its been in US$ and the US$ is down at least 20% against the Israeli Shekel, its gone continue to go up, thusly costing more US$ for nothing in return.

Since The Plaza was carved out of Independence Park and has very little land , I dont see any great Upgrading to the property that will allow it to go up in value as a Hotel, unless they removed say all the rooms from a floor and used the space for a gym, biz center etc etc
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Shalom chaverim.

I spent two nights at this hotel last week for my cousin's wedding. Thoroughly unimpressed. This hotel never missed an opportunity to disappoint me.

I booked directly w/ Starwood as opposed to using a group rate via a travel agent. I wanted platinum recognition and points, so I was willing to pay more.

No amenity. No welcome gift. No recognition whatsoever at all.

I was told I was given a "nice room". It was ok, until maddening construction kicked off at 7 AM the following morning in the room directly above mine. I went down to the desk to complain, and they said that "all guests were notified" ... um ... I wasn't. They insisted there was no need to change rooms as there was no construction the following day (Friday). They said they'd "send something up" to apologize. It never happened.

One of the glasses in the room was chipped. The other had a chunk missing. The blow dryer didn't work.

The next morning, there was clearly construction, starting again at 7 AM sharp. I went down to the desk, and they said "we didn't say there was no construction, we said there was construction but no noise" (...?!?!?). This time they did send something nice up - 4 pieces of disgusting, dust covered, wilted fruit. I wouldn't touch them let alone ingest them.

Early my last morning, I confirmed my 4 pm check out. At 11:05 that morning, my phone rang and I was informed I had "missed my check out time". Highly frustrating.

This hotel is aesthetically pleasing and the renovated rooms are nice, but the service doesn't match the decor.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Who says an Old Dog cant change its ways

Just back from a 6 night stay.And this place has changed for the Good.

Their is a new owner of the Hotel who wants a quality place. As with the Westin in LV, theres only so much you can do with what you got.Since the building itself is over 30 yrs old they simply cant make the rooms any larger. Keep in mind a large % of the rooms are privately owned.

I was greeted very nicely and the Plat Amenity card was handed to me to chose which gift I wanted, no asking on my part(about time). Unfortunately when I asked about an Upgrade I was told I was already Upgraded as a Plat to a very special room, if it isnt a suite they are all the same. As in the past I was given an Old City view room with that small balcony that in order to see the OC you have to lean over, thereby infinging on anyone out on their balcony (theres a divider that separates the balcony 1/3 & 2/3), never received the 2/3 part for my room.(keep in mind the only difference between these rooms and the others besides the suites is the balcony).

at check-in I informed the person that my res was really 2 as a 1 night and then a 5 nighter. Since CO had no idea where my bag was (spent an hour on the phone with them at the Airport), that if in fact it doesnt come in on the 2nd flight, that I would be returning to NY the next morning. I need my suits and w/o them no need to be in Israel. since I wouldnt know till appx 7pm at best if the bag arrived or not and 4pm was the Deadline to Cancel w/o penalty, she told me no problem just let us know ASAP if you wont be staying.

The bag arrived and I stayed. However at 11am I got a call from the FD that I must vacate my room.This was the following morn, day 1.

Seems they never put both of my res together and therefore gave me a room where the owner was going to be arriving. Why the person who checked me in didnt check I dont know. Anyway , I was told I was going to be receiving a nicer and larger room. Please dont LIE, unless it was a suite its not gonna be even 1 cm larger. The new room had the New City view, was on the top floor but had a very nice balcony the width of the room with a table and 2 chairs on it. Of cause I tried to find out why I wasnt given it when I arrived. Also the room I was given is attached to the room with the 2/3 balcony and a suite. If the owner wasnt coming till the next day why wasnt I given either of those as my Upgrade, especially if the Hotel had me down for a 1 night stay.

I spoke to the person who informed me, I would have to switch rooms. Who wasnt able to answer any of the above questions and instead got the FD mgr. I had a very nice chat with her and she made up for all the hassles I had to go thru. Id like to say she was the one who asked how she could make things right, compensation wise. I didnt have to ask she brought it up. A very nice jesture and I was taken back never expecting to hear something like that being offered especially at The Plaza.

Both rooms were the redone ones. Flat screen TVs 37 or 42 " Id say. A fridge in the room (not mini bar) an electric coffee pot with tea and coffee. The local idea of the Sweet Sleeper Bed (wish *W made all the Hotels purchase the US beds instead), it was very nice. Bathrooms nothing to speak of small and a very narrow bath tub.

Hallways with the new carpets, anything over that old blue and pink one. Didnt hear any noise from any of the work still being carried out on some on the floors, including the floor I was on the 1st night.The Lobby has been redone and is very nice and they are almost finished working on it, and was open for use during my entire stay.

Was informed The Hotel is setting up an area in the Lobby that will have chairs and tables and be a biz center sort of with FREE WI-FI^^, asked about a Lounge and was told *W told them either on the top floor or not at all. I wouldnt expect this Hotel to simply remove 4-5 rooms if they have that many in a row on the top floor, to put in a Lounge that will cost it $$ and not bring any in. I would rather have a Lounge w/o windows in the basement (dining room floor) or in the shop area then none at all.

With all the renovations and $$ being spent and that the avg rate is now @ $300 I dont see this place remaining a Cat3 for much longer.

Unfortunately there is still no gym or any near by, nothing besides the outdoor pool. But the Hotel is a ton better over what I experienced the last time I was there a few yrs ago.

A side thing they even set up a Shul (pray room) and will be putting in a few more things that cater to the Religious Jewish Crowd which is there main -stay.

I found everyone to be very nice and courteous, yea Im speaking about the Plaza and in Israel too. And Rama FD mgr, is an unbelievable person who CARES and wants the Hotel guests to be satisfied, something I usually found only in Asia.

Hard to believe this was the same Hotel that I have thrashed on FT for yrs.

As I have said in the past, if you want a Luxury stay the Plaza isnt not the place, unfortunately still holds true and probbaly never will be. But its levels way above where it was and I actually enjoyed having stayed there, unlike the few times I have stayed there in the past.I actually look forward to staying there again, something I never thought I would say.

However, as a Cat3 its a good value pts wise as a Cat4 not at all. Part of the problem is they are very limited with what they have to work with,and their base guests are not looking for what the typical FTer is looking for. Till now I said it wasnt even worth the pts as a Cat1.

Seems the new Owner does care and for sure Rama does.Till now I dont think that attitude was to be found at this Hotel.

BTW this past Sun night till Tues night was a Holiday, and The Plaza had a large amount of non-religious Jewish guests as well as non-Jewish guests

Last edited by craz; Jun 12, 2008 at 1:30 pm
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:46 pm

I too had a pleasant stay at the Jerusalem Plaza in the middle of June. I had booked 2 rooms on points. When I got there was told as a Plt was upgraded to the top floor and was given connecting rooms. I was hoping that these would overlook the old city but that was not to be.

The rooms were renovated and nicely done. Bathrooms were a little small. I liked the fridge in the room. Since there was no lounge we went to the small supermarket that is just outside the hotel and on the left to grab some munchies, etc. for the kids.

I found the location of the hotel to be great - easy walking distance to the old city.

Couple of other points - couldn't get an iron and ironing board. Instead the hotel provides 2 ironing rooms for guest use. Also, found it strange that the pool closes at 6 pm and one has to walk through a maze to get to the pool.

Platinum amenity was offered. The local gift was Dead Sea products which we turned down. Later, got the same thing in Tel Aviv and took it and wished we had taken it in Jerusalem too.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I was here in May for the weekend after Yom Ha'Atzmaut (Independence Day). I booked it in March, using the PLT guaranteed availability benefit (rack = $379/night). (My son's school trip was at a youth hostel 10 minutes away -- once they saw the 2 bunk beds per 9 foot wide room where they were spending shabbat, I probably could have rented the other bed to one of the other parents for more than I paid for the whole room...)

I arrived early (11am), but they checked me in and held my luggage (we had group events) even though the room wasn't ready. I didn't need anything else from them that day, but did find a bottle of wine and welcome note in my room when I came back at 5pm.

I had a renovated room, looking out the side of the hotel towards Rehov Agron (the right side, when you face the hotel). Limited Old City view from the correct angle. Everything worked -- bed was good; shower was fine; air conditioning was great; bottled water (free as PLT); etc.

Shabbat morning breakfast was quite good -- recognizing the limitations (no cooking fresh food; no knowing exactly how many people will show up to eat). The lobby lounge menu Shabbat afternoon was ok, and the service was as quick as could be expected with 2 staff working 15-18 lounge tables; CO FF Jr. liked his ice cream, and I got coffee, which was all that mattered.

When I left at 5am Sunday (for an 8am flight), the few people on duty were someone apathetic. They did call a taxi, but that was about all the help I got (I didn't need anything else, really...).

All in all, it's perfectly fine for an award stay. For revenue, you decide whether you want to pay more for the better hotels in the area...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, aa platinum, hh gold, starwood platinum
I stayed with the family for 5 nights in early August. We checked in with no problem, as PLT we were upgraded to connecting rooms which made it much easier with our 2 kids. Both rooms had been recently redone, they had small fridges which made keeping milk, water and soda cold very easy. The location is great, short walk to the old city, Ben Yehuda street and local restaurants.
The lobby is being redone, the front walk has been redone and they are doing new plantings.
Overall, after reading all of the reviews, I was pleasantly surprised and would go back again.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:03 pm

first time

This is my first posting to this site. I am a preferred guest only but booked several rooms at the Jerusaem Plaza for 9 days in early Novemeber.

Questions: are the 2 room options they offer, city (7,000 pts) vs old city (8,000 pts) view the same size and does anyone know the approx sq ft of each?

can a roll-away bed fit comfortalbly in either room if we have the queen size bed there?

Is it true that when you book on points the standard Israeli Breakfast is not free? only if you pay $ for the rooms? The tell me they will charge $10US per person per day for breakfast? Is this now true in all Starwood properties in countries where included breakfast in the norm? Same thing happened to us a year ago at Le Meridan in Gisa, Egypt.

The also quote a $70US per day to add a roll-away bed for our adult child in the same room even thought they aren't even including breakfast!

Really want to use our pts to stay in Jerusalem and this is the only property they have.

Also- anybody have a suggestion for one night in Tel Aviv for when we arrive? Nothing in Jerusalem so we thought to stay there first?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jefarl
This is my first posting to this site. I am a preferred guest only but booked several rooms at the Jerusaem Plaza for 9 days in early Novemeber.

Questions: are the 2 room options they offer, city (7,000 pts) vs old city (8,000 pts) view the same size and does anyone know the approx sq ft of each?

can a roll-away bed fit comfortalbly in either room if we have the queen size bed there?

Is it true that when you book on points the standard Israeli Breakfast is not free? only if you pay $ for the rooms? The tell me they will charge $10US per person per day for breakfast? Is this now true in all Starwood properties in countries where included breakfast in the norm? Same thing happened to us a year ago at Le Meridan in Gisa, Egypt.

The also quote a $70US per day to add a roll-away bed for our adult child in the same room even thought they aren't even including breakfast!

Really want to use our pts to stay in Jerusalem and this is the only property they have.

Also- anybody have a suggestion for one night in Tel Aviv for when we arrive? Nothing in Jerusalem so we thought to stay there first?
Welcome to FT

1- except for the Suites All the rooms are the exact same size

2- I wouldnt pay the extra 1000 pts for the Old City view as you will see it only if you open the window and lean all the way out.

3- didnt know they had Queen size beds, most are 2 doubles, a rollaway can get in but you wont have too much room to stand up in

4- breakfast is not incuded when on a free stay. William has yrs ago told us that really the rate doesnt come with free breakfast when paying but that we are paying for the breakfast.Thusly why a free stay wont get it

5- I found alot of Israeli hotels will charge for the rollaway and that does not include breakfast.

Last edited by craz; Sep 14, 2008 at 8:30 pm
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
The more things 'change'...

Arrived on Sun. night for a three night cash & points stay. I'd read some of the posts on this board, and was thinking the service level might have changed recently. At check-in, I was upgraded to a 'Balcony Deluxe Room, New City/park View'. When I requested a room with an old-city view, I was told that "there are none available, we're fully booked" (this seems to be the default lie at this property, from experience). For my platinum amenity I opted for the local gift, which I was told was a set of Ahava products. I got to my room, and out of curiousity, checked SPG.com, and found at-least nine 'Balcony Deluxe Room, Old City View' rooms available for that evening! A short while later, a small bottle of liquid soap arrived as my plat. amenity.

The next morning(yesterday), I asked at the front desk for my amenity to be sent up to the room, explained that I had no use for the liquid soap, and was told it would be sent up shortly (it never did arrive). I also asked again about the 'old city view' and was again told there were none available (I checked again on SPG, and found at-least seven such rooms showing available for each of the next few days). I asked if the front desk manager (Rama) was in, and was told she was 'busy'. I later called her line directly, and left a message asking her to call me back with my room #, but she never did. This was the first time I'd ever left a message for a manager and not gotten a callback, so this morning I tried again, only to have the phone ring endlessly until I gave up.

The property is much the same, though I do see some cosmetic renovations continuing. In short, for a cash & points stay, this is the absolute cheapest deal around - but it's cheap for a reason.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:46 am

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
The more things 'change'...

Arrived on Sun. night for a three night cash & points stay. I'd read some of the posts on this board, and was thinking the service level might have changed recently. At check-in, I was upgraded to a 'Balcony Deluxe Room, New City/park View'. When I requested a room with an old-city view, I was told that "there are none available, we're fully booked" (this seems to be the default lie at this property, from experience). For my platinum amenity I opted for the local gift, which I was told was a set of Ahava products. I got to my room, and out of curiousity, checked SPG.com, and found at-least nine 'Balcony Deluxe Room, Old City View' rooms available for that evening! A short while later, a small bottle of liquid soap arrived as my plat. amenity.

The next morning(yesterday), I asked at the front desk for my amenity to be sent up to the room, explained that I had no use for the liquid soap, and was told it would be sent up shortly (it never did arrive). I also asked again about the 'old city view' and was again told there were none available (I checked again on SPG, and found at-least seven such rooms showing available for each of the next few days). I asked if the front desk manager (Rama) was in, and was told she was 'busy'. I later called her line directly, and left a message asking her to call me back with my room #, but she never did. This was the first time I'd ever left a message for a manager and not gotten a callback, so this morning I tried again, only to have the phone ring endlessly until I gave up.

The property is much the same, though I do see some cosmetic renovations continuing. In short, for a cash & points stay, this is the absolute cheapest deal around - but it's cheap for a reason.

Last edited by sam33; Sep 17, 2008 at 1:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:27 am

I guess I will keep my expectation down low- I really want to use pts for my 9 nights as other hotels are expenseve. Did you complain to the manager on any of this? I think its Yossi?
I thought he was trying to improve service...
How much were you charged for Breakfast since you used pts for the stay? They quote $27/pp per day but someone on the phone said they would only charge $10 to someone with pts ??
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:23 am

Thumbs down Update...

I guess I will keep my expectation down low- I really want to use pts for my 9 nights as other hotels are expenseve. Did you complain to the manager on any of this? I think its Yossi?
I thought he was trying to improve service...
How much were you charged for Breakfast since you used pts for the stay? They quote $27/pp per day but someone on the phone said they would only charge $10 to someone with pts ??
Based on what I'd read from some posters here, I did come in with at least average expectations. However, these last three days have shown me that the service level is roughly what it's been for the last few years- shoddy.
Anyway, yesterday (my last day) I stopped by reception around 11am, and asked for an 8pm checkout. I know I'm not 'entitled' to that late a checkout, but as most N.American flights leave around midnight, some of the better hotels in Israel will give it to you if they're not full. (At the Sheraton Tel Aviv, 9pm has always been given just for asking - every single time, but service at that hotel is in a very different league than this dump.) The immediate answer was "No, sorry, the hotel is full". I then asked the gentleman why he would try such a blatant lie, as I figured they had at least 27 rooms for sale that evening. He disappeared into the back office for about two minutes, and then re-appeared to tell me that 8pm was no problem - just like that! A while later, I wondered why Rama, the manager, had never bothered returning my call from the day before, so I called and left her another message asking for a callback, which never happened. Oh, and my promised platinum amenity never did make it to my room....
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:34 am

I was told breakfast was not complimentary with the cash&points stay, and would cost $10. I opted to get a good breakfast at a nearby cafe / bakery instead, remembering that the Plaza breakfasts have gone downhill along with everything else (from my last stay here a few months back).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.