Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
Sounds like 2 day old bagels from Boston and maybe something (smoked salmon) from Heathrow, and we'll be better off. Funny how some people think the breakfasts are pretty good and other have the opposite opinion.
The food at this hotel has really gone downhill over the last few years, breakfast included. Although breakfast is usually included in the rate when I stay there, I prefer to eat at one of the many good cafe's nearby (hillel, rimon, etc.). I actually had dinner Fri. night at this hotel a few weeks ago, and the main course were both disgusting, almost to the point of being inedible. The Sat. buffet lunch is still decent, though.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by craz
they get that $$$ simply due to their location & due to the fact that The King David and Davids Citadel charge more then they do.

The rooms arent large and the bathrooms are on the small size as well. The rooms are very nicely furnished in look. Thats about it for the Plaza, theres nothing else there.

As a Plat the best Up I ever got is to an Old City view with a small balcony, just about able to stand on it. So to me its nothing at all except a reg room. Most of the Suites and larger balconied rooms are all Privately owned and thusly they wont upgrade you into 1 even if the owners arent using them, although they are available for the Hotel to sell as a room for revenue..

So if your expectations are LOW you wont be disappointed, otherwise you are hereby Warned.
My experience at this hotel has taught me a few things...

1. No status recognition (or decent service) unless you firmly demand it.

2. Although they now offer points as a plat amenity, expect to have to call at least 3 times to actually have them posted.

3. Check-in staff routinely lie to deny you the upgrade. What you need to do is as follows;
On the morning of check-in, check the availability for the best paid rooms, and take note. At check-in, when they tell you there's no upgrade available, politely insist on speaking with the desk-manager (usually Ramah). Tell her that you know the shtick they're pulling, and that if you don't get the best available room for an upgrade, she'll be dealing with the platinum concierge within the hour - Presto, your suite will miraculously become available !
Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sam33
My experience at this hotel has taught me a few things...

1. No status recognition (or decent service) unless you firmly demand it.
Presto, your suite will miraculously become available !
I thought SPG did away with Suites as Upgrades along with Marriott and Hilton.

Thusly the best 1 can hope for at The Plaza is an 'Old City view with a balcony'. There are 2 types of these 1 with a balcony barely large enough for a person to stand on the 2nd a balcony that is twice the size, not sure if its a part of the Suites or not.

If you were able to get a Suite consider yourself Extremely Lucky, a smost of the Suites are Privately owned and with their owners lively in them the vast majority of the year. Others the owners have a few rooms and turn the non-suites over to the Hotel when they arent there, but lock up the Suite and dont turn it over for the Hotels use.

I doubt the Hotel has to offer a privately owned Suite even if its in their inventory as they have to pay for the use of that Suite to its owners, which probably means means the Hotel paying the owner more then a Plat would be paying for a reg room. Better yet a Plat even on an award stay can get an Upgrade, so should the Hotel receive a few $$ from the award stay and yet pay out a few hundred $$ to the Suites owner?

Dont get me wrong, Im sticking up for this place. I dont care for it and when asked always tell the person "Stay Elsewhere".

BTW when I did stay there, had no choice and was on pts to boot, they always Upgraded me (even in the summer) to Old City View with that little balcony. A friend who stayed there over Succoth using pts, got The New City view with that little balcony, and thats with the Hotel being completely sold-out. Neither he nor I asked about an Upgrade it was done before even arriving.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 9:38 am

I thought SPG did away with Suites as Upgrades along with Marriott and Hilton.

If you were able to get a Suite consider yourself Extremely Lucky, as most of the Suites are Privately owned and with their owners lively in them the vast majority of the year. Others the owners have a few rooms and turn the non-suites over to the Hotel when they arent there, but lock up the Suite and dont turn it over for the Hotels use.

I doubt the Hotel has to offer a privately owned Suite even if its in their inventory as they have to pay for the use of that Suite to its owners, which probably means means the Hotel paying the owner more then a Plat would be paying for a reg room. Better yet a Plat even on an award stay can get an Upgrade, so should the Hotel receive a few $$ from the award stay and yet pay out a few hundred $$ to the Suites owner?
SPG has not done away with suite upgrades, and that, imho, is the best remaining benefit of their program.
As I understand it, if they have a suite 'for sale' that night, it is part of available inventory, and treated like anything else - that's why I said to check room availability before checking in - so you can call them on the lie.
There are different deals with the privately owned suites, but many are used as part on the regular hotel all year, save for a few key weeks.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:33 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by nologic
How far a walk or a taxi ride is it from the Inbal Hotel? How much better is the Inbal?
We just celebrated my daughter's Bat Mitzvah in Jerusalem (12/24/2007). We stayed at the Inbal (along with a number of guests). Booked a 2 Bedroom Penthouse Suite with a "hugh" sweeping terrace where we had Shabbot lunch for 10+ people.

The Inbal was INCREDIBLE. Suite and service was amazing. We prepaid for Shabbos lunch (which, the Inbal is known as having one of the best) --- and after talking to the manager, he agreed to serve the buffet to us (in courses) on our terrace (he even assigned a waiter to us --- and insisted on sending up a larger table, and setting beautiful linens). No extra charge --- but, of course, I did tip the waiter and manager accordingly.

This is a picture of our lunch setup

For something as important as a Bat Mitzvah trip, I highly suggest the Inbal (or the David Citadel) --- though, the Inbal is most definitely the more haimish of the 4* and 5* properties in Jerusalem.

Word on the street (from my friends) has always been that you don't stay at the Sheraton in Jerusalem unless you enjoy being in a more "ultra-orthodox" setting for Shabbos. Not sure how true this is, but as an SPG Platinum -- I never even considered the Sheraton for a moment.

IMO, the Inbal and Tel Aviv Hilton are two of the best properties in Israel. (We did use points for an extra room in at the Hilton)

We did the Bat Mitzvah at Robinson's Arch in the Archaeological Park --- and it was beyond incredible.

Some pictures of the trip (from my BIL) can be found HERE starting with a brief day trip to Amsterdam.

We also hosted a dinner for around 30 at a Glatt Kosher Chinese restaurant in the German Colony that is walking distance from the Inbal.

Please don't hesitate to PM for any additional details,
and Mazel Tov!

edit to add : we did the Bat Mitzvah on a Monday -- since we found that to be less hectic (logistically) than dealing with Shabbos. Also, we arrived in Israel 5 days prior to the Bat Mitzvah, and spent quite a bit of time touring and relaxing. We used all private guides and drivers, since we wanted this to be as "carefree" of a trip as possible. I would suggest at least 2-3 days to spend touring and wandering through Jerusalem. We "considered" also doing Egypt on this trip --- but, were glad we didn't. You will be very glad to have a few extra moments to relax, and there is too much to see (and do) in Israel even during a 10 day trip. We did do a bit more driving, since we didn't want to bother changing hotels; 5 days at the Hilton in Tel Aviv and 5 days at the Inbal in Jerusalem. Only excursion from Jerusalem was Ein Gedi, Dead Sea and Masada (for that trip, we were a group of 14); and we hired a driver and bus for the day.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Jan 14, 2008 at 7:58 am
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
Great pics... looks like a beautiful affair....

Mazel Tov!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Somehow I knew this thread was going to cost me money. During my Young Leadership days, I travelled to Israel every 18 months or so. Sadly, it's been 15 years as Old Fart has replaced Young Leadership!

Your pictures made me realize how much I missed Israel. This summer is planned but I am committed to returning during the summer of 2009. So you not only spread some important info, you did a mitzvah!

Mazel tov on the simcha.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:16 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by chardo
Great pics... looks like a beautiful affair....

Mazel Tov!
Originally Posted by stevens397
Somehow I knew this thread was going to cost me money. During my Young Leadership days, I travelled to Israel every 18 months or so. Sadly, it's been 15 years as Old Fart has replaced Young Leadership!

Your pictures made me realize how much I missed Israel. This summer is planned but I am committed to returning during the summer of 2009. So you not only spread some important info, you did a mitzvah!

Mazel tov on the simcha.
Thanks! The trip was well worth the expense --- though, we did go over budget (as planned). Two of the other highlights were an Archaeological Dig for a Day at Beit Guvrin National Park and the Tunnel Tour under the Western Wall in Jerusalem. Both of these needed to be "pre-planned" a bit in advance, but well worth the effort. One of the most important things is to hire guides that are "compatible" with your group. We were very fortunate, and the kids (as well as adults) really got a lot out of our touring.

We've decided to do my son's Bar Mitzvah in the same style (in 3 years) --- , but planning for his should be a bit easier.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold, DL, CO, ATR
I always at the Jerusalem Sheraton Plaza. It is a fine hotel and a particularly good deal if you are using StarPoints. Service is ok. Location is very good. Israeli breakfast is quite good. Though you have to pay i think $10.00 or so. good value for 7k
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Better than Dan Panorama?

My companies policy has changed and I can no longer stay at Inbal. I can choose the Dan Panorama or Sheraton. I have stayed at the Dan Panorama once and it was just ok, nothing like the Inbal. I'd prefer to try the Sheraton so I can get Starpoints, but I have no SPG status, just their AMEX card.

If anyone can compare this to Dan Panorama, I'd like to know what I can expect.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PDXflying
My companies policy has changed and I can no longer stay at Inbal. I can choose the Dan Panorama or Sheraton. I have stayed at the Dan Panorama once and it was just ok, nothing like the Inbal. I'd prefer to try the Sheraton so I can get Starpoints, but I have no SPG status, just their AMEX card.

If anyone can compare this to Dan Panorama, I'd like to know what I can expect.
Between these 2 the Sheraton wins hands down, a No brainer
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:55 am

Thumbs down

The Sheraton Jerusalem is a terrible hotel, and perhaps one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed as far as value/expectations. For the amount one pays one expects comfort, convenience, and hospitality. However, you get the exact opposite. The staff is rude and unhelpful, the rooms dirty and uncomfortable, the amenities few, and the atmosphere very awkward if you are not orthodox (Try relaxing at the bar with a beer while others are praying in bar). If you are SPG Gold the only recognition offered is 4 pieces of chocolate and 2 small bottles of water. If you stay at the Sheraton you had better like Fox News as it is showing in the elevators 24 hours a days (except Shabbat). There is no SPG lounge. The only positive about the Sheraton is location. In short, for $200+ per night you can find a better hotel in Jerusalem.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by universalrooster
The Sheraton Jerusalem is a terrible hotel, and perhaps one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed as far as value/expectations. For the amount one pays one expects comfort, convenience, and hospitality. However, you get the exact opposite. The staff is rude and unhelpful, the rooms dirty and uncomfortable, the amenities few, and the atmosphere very awkward if you are not orthodox (Try relaxing at the bar with a beer while others are praying in bar). If you are SPG Gold the only recognition offered is 4 pieces of chocolate and 2 small bottles of water. If you stay at the Sheraton you had better like Fox News as it is showing in the elevators 24 hours a days (except Shabbat). There is no SPG lounge. The only positive about the Sheraton is location. In short, for $200+ per night you can find a better hotel in Jerusalem.
I dont like this place either, however I never found the rooms to be dirty, always found the staff helpful, as for the bar its not really a bar persee as its not in a room but rather in the middle of the Lobby. although I can see where people will get together to pray, Ive never seen it happen within a couple of feet or the Bar table itself especially during the week. Unless there during a Holiday period or on Saturdays, the lobby isnt full of Religious people. (BTW any other Hotel during those times would fend no better).

If you dont care for Religious Jews you are in the wrong City and Country. Next time stay in Arab East Jerusalem, you wont run into any.

Now where I do agree with You is the Plaza is Lousy when it comes to Value no difference if its $$$ or Pts you are paying with
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:17 am

I dont like this place either, however I never found the rooms to be dirty, always found the staff helpful, as for the bar its not really a bar persee as its not in a room but rather in the middle of the Lobby. although I can see where people will get together to pray, Ive never seen it happen within a couple of feet or the Bar table itself especially during the week. Unless there during a Holiday period or on Saturdays, the lobby isnt full of Religious people. (BTW any other Hotel during those times would fend no better).

If you dont care for Religious Jews you are in the wrong City and Country. Next time stay in Arab East Jerusalem, you wont run into any.

Now where I do agree with You is the Plaza is Lousy when it comes to Value no difference if its $$$ or Pts you are paying with

The issue isn't about you like religious jews or else go to Arab East Jerusalem. Israel is an extraordinarily diverse country (including Jerusalem) with many distinct forms of Judaism, other religions, and secularism. There are many hotels in Israel where non-Orthodox will feel comfortable.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:56 pm

I very much agree. They almost wouldn't let me check in because they claimed that all of my credit cards were invalid (at 2am). I insisted that I had just used them and that it was probably their machine. Finally the manager let me check in. I called Amex and Chase and they said everything was fine with my cards. The next day, the front desk gruffly told me that the machine wasn't working - no apology.

The hotel was dirty, smelly, musty, dark, loud and everything else. I do not recommend it at all.

Originally Posted by universalrooster

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.