FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:39 am
nologic

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ac/elite
If they have a lounge, it must be pretty new. I've stayed there many times, but not since July '06, and if they had a lounge then they didn't tell me about it.

It's now featured on their website -- one would think an international Sheraton should have a lounge -- I doubt they are making it up, and given that it features a 42 inch plasma TV, it probably is pretty new.

I think it's a pretty rushed trip. Are you sure that you want to arrive in Israel less than 24 hours prior to your daughter's bat mitzvah? What if there is a flight delay? If it were me, I'd allow a day or two to deal with the big time change/jet lag before your daughter's bat mitzvah.

The problem is school, which really doesn't get out until the following Tuesday. The older daughter can't miss that much. She has exams which will have to re-scheduled, and it's going to be a an issue and a challenge with the administration as is. If it's any "better", at least we intent on going over in BA First, so they should be able to get a fair amount of sleep, but I agree, it's a long day, and the time change will be a challenge.

Also, if you're planning the bigger celebration to be at the hotel, you might want to get there on a day that isn't Shabbat in order to meet with the catering office and ensure that everything is in place.

My brother's family has taken care of all that -- this is a dual event with his son, and they have made all the arrangements for the with the temple and dinner(s).

I would definately hire a guide for the Old City, even if it is only for half a day. I've done it both ways and you really need a good guide to understand the history and significance of the sites you'll see.

I agree...I would want a guide for everything, except we can skip out to Yad Vasham and maybe the Time Elevator on our own.

I'd skip visiting a kibbutz since your time is so short, or combine it with the trip to Masada visiting Kibbutz Ein Gedi. Arrange a visit/tour with the kibbutz ahead of time. Here's their website: http://www.ngedi.com/

I agree. We would integrate the Kibbutz visit with one of the other day's activities -- maybe 1-2 hours at the Kibbutz touring and talking with some members about their lifestyle.

I'd schedule a couple hours to visit the new Yad Vashem Holocaust Musum, which is extremely well done. It is only a 10-15 minute cab ride from your hotel.

Agreed and will do, see above.

If you want to do something different from most tourists, visit a place called Lifeline for the Old. Go in the morning and visit the workshops. This is a place where elderly and mentally challenged people come to work every day. It gives them purpose. It is not a seniors' home, but a workplace. They are taught new trades at age 70,80,90, be it bookbinding, metalwork, ceramics, etc. and they produce remarkable work that is for sale in their giftshop. Jews, Christians and Muslims working side by side. Here is their website: www.lifeline.org.il

You might want to spend day 4 or 5 visiting the Tel Aviv area including Old Jaffa. If you go, spend some time in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood. One of the city's oldest neighborhoods has been revitalized in recent years and has great cafe's, shops, galleries and beautifully restored old buildings.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your suggestions. The other input seems to be to go North?