Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by QF009
No response as yet, I wonder if i can be bothered doing a follow-up email. Says a lot about the property as a whole really, when not even the GM is interested in addressing guests' concerns. In contrast, GMs at other Ws have always responded promptly, ranging from 15 mins to just under 24 hours after the initial email is sent, whether they're compliments or complaints.
Sadly, I received nothing as well, it's been almost a month...
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by QF009
No response as yet, I wonder if i can be bothered doing a follow-up email. Says a lot about the property as a whole really, when not even the GM is interested in addressing guests' concerns. In contrast, GMs at other Ws have always responded promptly, ranging from 15 mins to just under 24 hours after the initial email is sent, whether they're compliments or complaints.
Better late than never I suppose. Seems like a sincere and unreservedly apologetic email.

Welcome Mr. QF009,

I am responding on behalf of our General Manager, Ed Maynard. First and foremost allow me to apologize on behalf of entire team. I will like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Feedback from our Guests is very important to us as it often times pinpoints areas of needed focus. Also it helps us to provide in future reservations a better service to our guest. As one of the Guest Service Managers here at W New York, I always like to make it a point to reach out to my guests and get their feedback. I really don’t like to see guests leave with any type of disappointments.

I always put myself in the same shoes as the guest and believe me I was concerned to read about your W experiences. All of our guests are important and should not go through this experience. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable stay from start to finish. I have read some of the specifics of your incident and agree there is no excuse for anything less than courteous, friendly and overly attentive service. This feedback will also be brought to our operating teams and managers so we can learn from this and improve our service across our company. I am not writing to offer you any excuses, just my sincere regret that such a thing had to happen to any one of our guests. We take our promise of being your home away from home very seriously and again please accept my apologies. Please be assured that this in not the norm but the exception and as one of our loyal W guest it is particularly upsetting when I hear stories such as yours. Voicing your opinion on issues such as these while frustrating are what help to make us better and I thank you for that opportunity.

As a gesture of our concern for the inconveniences you have faced, we have also honored 12,000 Starwood points towards your Platinum Starwood account #xxxxxxxxxxxx. Please allow 3-5 business days for the points to be reflected on your account. And do not hesitate to contact us at anytime should you need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Warm Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
Thumbs down More Four Points than W

Greeted with "we are full, no upgrades" rather than a smile. Received a tiny room on a low floor. Entire room smelled of the sealant that they were applying to the outside of the window. Nice view of workman's crotch applying the sealant, and great view of a brick building 3 feet away. Lobby/lounge full of the perenially un-hip trying to be hip and not succeeding. Basically a miserable experience. Only one night . . so not a huge deal. But for future stays I will return to the Westin (kinda sterile, but location, upgrades, staff and lounge make a big difference)
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
ummm no lounge at westin anymore...sorry
might i suggest the parker meridien maybe? no lounge- but plenty of plat upgrades based on this site...
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
With all the negativity surrounding the size of rooms at the W New York, I am somewhat concerned about my upcoming 6 night stay there next week.

Do frequent guests there, have any comments on how best to snag an upgrade? Its a pretty full hotel next week, with the remainder of the W properties in NYC being sold out - I had little choice within the SPG group of hotels...
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:41 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
With all the negativity surrounding the size of rooms at the W New York, I am somewhat concerned about my upcoming 6 night stay there next week.

Do frequent guests there, have any comments on how best to snag an upgrade? Its a pretty full hotel next week, with the remainder of the W properties in NYC being sold out - I had little choice within the SPG group of hotels...
Since the beginning of flyertalk, people have complained about the size of the rooms at the W New York. If you don't see larger rooms available for sale online, then its probably a foregone conclusion that there will be no upgrade.

What about the other non-W SPG properties in NYC. There are a gazillion of them. If you can snag one of the others that have been recommended here, do it. The Parker Le Meridien seems to be the favorite lately....
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
mini-report: meh.

The W New York on Lexington was my favorite hotel for a time back in 2000/01. Maybe it was coming from the west coast and being part of an interesting project, but staying at the W felt special, and the staff helped make it even more so.

No more.

Lackluster stay this weekend. Disorderly front desk wherein people trying to form an orderly queue yet still give space for the traffic between the entrance and the elevators were disadvantaged by those cutting the line under the pretense of being unaware others were waiting. The staff could clearly see what was happening but would just roll their eyes and rebuff any effort to make the patron aware that "yes, all those people with bags standing in a line five feet away from the desk were waiting to check-in/ out."

Once at the desk, I was delighted by how professional and efficient the check-in was performed. One small negative, my stay was a combination of C&P and FWN, but even then I am accustomed to being offered a welcome amenity. Not this time. Perhaps my rate doesn't qualify, and the other hotels are just being overly generous, so I didn't pursue the issue.

Was told I had been upgraded to a spectacular room, but it was tinier than I remembered. However, the decor was lovely, the bliss bath products appreciated and the W bed very comfortable. No welcome anything in the room. No letter from the manager, no wine, nada. I seem to recall that was not the case before. Again, perhaps it was due to this being an award stay.

Breakfast in the hotel ground floor restaurant was fine, but with very limited options. Nice coffee and excellent food servers ... There is a new cafe/ deli on Lex just before 52nd that was nicer, cheaper and had enough NY flavor that it made for a nice touristy repast.

The doormen, or whatever they are called these days, were hit and miss. Sometimes one would call a taxi, sometimes not. Depended mostly on whether they were engaged in conversations at the time. No big deal for me but my companion likes to be treated special when travelling, and we never truly got that feeling.

Otherwise, still love the location. Not in the heart of the action, but with good subway access and an easy walk to mid-town.

Overall, a meh for this stay, but that won't stop me from trying again. The W New York also seems to have the most C&P availability, which is a huge plus for non-business travel.
Old May 10, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'm here now - I generally won't stay at Ws anymore after a disastrous stay last year at the W French Quarter in New Orleans - but I had to stay here because of a conference rate.

The room is tiny tiny - comparable to some of the smallest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in, in business hotels in Japan and at the Paramount in NYC in the '90s. And I don't think I'm in the lowest room category, though I don't think I was upgraded either.

The room renovation is clean and nice enough, given the room's size - other than lighting, which is completely inadequate. A few LEDs are fine for efficiency, but it's just too dark.

I would say, the room is not quite as depressing as the average room at the Sheraton NY. Faint praise and all that.
Old May 10, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I had a nice stay at the W Lexington a couple weeks ago. The decor is so much nicer than it was before the renovation. The bed was very comfortable. Only got an upgrade to a spectacular room but was happy enough with it given that the first and last time I stayed there was pre-renovation a couple years ago. It is convenient to catch the subway/air train to JFK from that location too which worked out very well. Not an amazing experience by any means but overall I was satisfied.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Satisfied

I also had a nice stay at the W Lexington a few weeks ago. The decor is so much nicer than it was before the renovation, brighter, more details, storage areas, swivel desk and other great uses of a small space.

My upgrade was to a spectacular room (slightly bigger, I think it had a shower) but was happy enough with it given my low expectations for upgrades at this property.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:31 am

Arrow

The W hotel on Lexington is a dump. Small rooms as most mentioned.

Workers who needs to be trained more on service.

If you want a great hotel room, service, and great bed stick to Westin Time Square. Probably the best affordable hotel in the city in the Starwoods Family.

The Le Meridian is great as well.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thumbs down Lies, lies, and more lies

Spent a couple of nights here this week. Was booked in at the Wonderful level, saw on line that Mega was available shortly before arrival. Asked at checkin, and was told they were sold out. Called Plat concierge, they called hotel and were told that the inventory hadn't synchronized yet. Was told to check back in the morning, and I'd get at least a mega. Monitored over the next hour or so, and the Mega did eventually disappear, but a Spectacular showed up in its place for a while. Felt like the front desk was playing games.

Packed up and dropped my bag with bellman in the morning and talked to front desk. Was told only suite available then was smoking (no no for me), but definitely could get Mega, and maybe a suite if there was a cancellation.

Came back that night around 9pm and took 10+ minutes to get my room straightened out. Apparently I had been blocked into a suite, which they had then given to someone else. Megas were long gone, so was given a Spectacular and a bunch of points. Manager I spoke with (same one that the Plat Concierge had spoken with the night before; unusual name) pushed blame to the person I had spoken with in the morning, and said they hadn't been the person that the Concierge had spoken with the night before (an untruth). The points were significant, but I have a lot of points already, and I had really been looking forward to a bigger room. I did think the room finishes were nice, although the bathroom door in my second room didn't close all the way.

When I booked this room, I had my choice of Parker and here, and chose here. Next time I'll go Parker.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by wizzy

When I booked this room, I had my choice of Parker and here, and chose here. Next time I'll go Parker.
Next time ask for Jolene K ...the wonderful revenue manager!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Not surprising. Decided to give this former dumpy W a shot after the remodel. Was lied to about upgrades, and noted this on the survey they sent. Assistant to the GM sent an email and insisted that they tried but nothing was available (even though spg.com and reservations said there was).

To their credit, the remodel is nice, but they don't care about SPG...
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I had a suprisingly decent one night stay at the W on Lex last week. I was only there for one night but I was given a nice Plat. suite upgrade to a Fabulous suite from a Wonderful king room. I can't really rave about the suite but it was nice to get one considering the other two hotels (W TS and Westin TS) that I stayed at within the same week only basically gave me a room upgrade. I thought the furniture (esp. the couches) weren't that comfortable and the room felt dark but a suite is a suite! Check-in was VERY slow and they only had two people working but this seems to be an overall Starwood issue in NYC since the Westin was even worse. One thing that really suprised me is at there was no complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. When I asked about this they gave me some excuse about it being out from 5-6:30 am only.....REALLY??? Strange!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.