Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Not lamenting this loss aside from the 'iconic' nature of being the first W - the rooms are tiny and old is old. I hope they renovate it into a flagship Le Méridien and bring that back to New York...

Speaking of, whatever happened to the plans of turning the Manhattan at Times Square into a W? It was sold to Qatari investors [same owners of W Miami] who announced their intention to turn it into a W following major renovations, but nothing's been heard since. I think that'd make a fabulous flagship if done right.

khabah
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by khabah
Not lamenting this loss aside from the 'iconic' nature of being the first W - the rooms are tiny and old is old. I hope they renovate it into a flagship Le Méridien and bring that back to New York...

Speaking of, whatever happened to the plans of turning the Manhattan at Times Square into a W? It was sold to Qatari investors [same owners of W Miami] who announced their intention to turn it into a W following major renovations, but nothing's been heard since. I think that'd make a fabulous flagship if done right.

khabah
I think that is just a little too close to W Times Square to warrant another W. But perhaps it could become a missing brand such as Le Meridien?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Any word on the official leaving date? Nothing on the website as yet.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:29 am

Update from the hotel’s website:

Brand Change Effective May 9, 2018: W New York will be transitioning to The Maxwell New York City on May 9, 2018 and will no longer be affiliated with W Hotels & Resorts. Reservations for dates on or after May 9, 2018 will continue to be eligible for Starwood Preferred GuestŽ membership benefits, award redemption, and StarpointsŽ accrual.

And there we have it - staying in SPG but as an unbranded property. My guess is that it will move to the Tribute Portfolio and plant the flag in the city, unless there are other plans to renovate it and transition it into another brand.

khabah
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Yes, it will become the 1st tribute portfolio hotel in the City.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Yes, it will become the 1st tribute portfolio hotel in the City.
Right on - just found this: https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...ute-portfolio/

With this rebrand, the only Starwood brand not present in New York is Le Méridien!

khabah
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i didn't care much for the property but i always liked the location so i'm happy to see this place will stick around with spg/marriott....
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
I hope the Bliss Spa there continues to operate as that's my go to place.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:42 pm

Booked this due to cheapish awards avail just before 4th of July this year. Is it a dump? Can I expect an upgrade as a Plat using Suite Nights?

Or should I look for someplace else? TIA for any tips.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Not a dump - just not cutting edge anymore. Great location, good value, and I'o of the midtown properties not charging a ridiculous"destination fee".
Old May 7, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
It gets mixed reviews. Some of the suites are really small so YMMV even with SNAs. The bathrooms are old. I still stay there occasionally, later this week will be my first this year.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:35 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

This property has been rebranded. Please follow in the new thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...lexington.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.