Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Arrow [GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Is there any information anywhere about the remodelling, both what they are doing and when it is due to be completed ?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:55 am Reason: 2001-7 reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/975260-w-new-york-lexington-ave-2001-7
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:50 am

The guestrooms will receive complete redesign. The bed has a contemporary canopy with backlit art in the headboard. The desk has a pivoting glass surface. The ceiling and walls in front of bed are painted 'W' aubergine color.

The bathroom will stay with same fixtures, but will get a new backlit vanity mirror. The shower curtain is being replaced with glass panel. The swing door to the bathroom is replaced by a glass sliding door.

Renovation started yesterday, one floor at a time. The first set of floors should be done in few months.

Originally Posted by 12steve34
Is there any information anywhere about the remodelling, both what they are doing and when it is due to be completed ?

Thanks

Steve
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Any progress updates on the renovation? Old furnishings are popping up in auction (another thread) so something's going on. Got a stay coming up.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 6:59 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
The biggest problem for me was the poor quality curtains that let the sunlight in very early. Rooms were less spectular than other Ws in NYC. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Go to W Court or Tuscany instead.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Elena
Unless the rate is significantly cheaper I cannot see any reason for anyone to stay at the W on Lexington when there are 2 other W's only a few blocks away.
As Platinum- chances of getting a suite upgrade are slim at the W New York; and almost as slim as at W Union Square (although I would much rather stay there).
My experiences (6 in past 6 months) are that rates ARE significantly cheaper - $50-100 a night - and I'm 6 for 6 on upgrades at the W New York (suites 5 of the 6 times). The physical plant at the hotel needs some work (apparently, in progress now?) but the staff issues and SPG program recognition clearly are being addressed. If anyone needs contact info for the "Anywhere anything" coordinators, PM; I've been very satisfied with their responsiveness.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:24 am

My girlfriend and I stayed at the W New York this past weekend for presidents day and were pleasantly surprised. I had booked the room using points for a standard 12k/night and sent an email to the GM on Friday, who promptly responded letting me know that it would be no problem for us to arrive at noon on Saturday, checkout late on Monday, and enjoy an upgrade to a suite!

Of course later that day I read the reviews here on flyertalk and considered canceling the reservation, but thought we'd give it a try.

We took the Acela down from Boston and arrived at about noon to Penn Station. We were at the check in desk by 12:15pm where everything was quick, direct, and our room was ready immediately. We were in a 6th floor corner suite and found it to have ample room for our belongings and us.

Not being very familiar with the city, we (probably over-)used the whatever/whenever button to ask various clueless questions about the city, directions, timings, etc and the staff was very helpful and kind.

We didn't spend any time in the Whiskey Blue bar (it felt a little "oh look at me i'm on a bed that's also a couch in a bar i'm so cool" for us) but we did enjoy the Japanese restaurant right around the corner on 49th st (ISE Restaurant). It was recommended by the doorman for a casual sushi location to wait out the rain on Sunday evening.

The room size felt ample and comfortable and the bathroom was clean and large enough for the two of us. I suppose it's worth noting we live in a relatively small beacon hill apartment in Boston, so maybe we're just not used to having large living spaces in the first place. A manager came to our room shortly after checkin to confirm that we were satisfied with it, which we appreciated. Aside from that, there's little to report (i mean that in a good way). We had a wonderful vacation and are planning more trips to NY because of this good experience.

The most enjoyable part of the stay was, contrary to a number of other reviews, that the staff appears to be trying very hard, and that's worth about 70% of our experience right there. Maybe they're aware of their tarnished reputation here on FlyerTalk?

All in all, a good stay.

John
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by TheMane
... that the staff appears to be trying very hard, and that's worth about 70% of our experience right there.
Interesting. The staff can tell me my mother wears army boots for all I care. I want a luxurious room, sumptuous bed, awesome shower, spectacular view, dimmable halogen lighting, spectacular architecture, an outrageously good room service breakfast (the guy that delivers it to me can also tell me my mother wears army boots), stunning furniture, the finest materials, incredible art, and superlative location.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by schriste
Interesting. The staff can tell me my mother wears army boots for all I care. I want a luxurious room, sumptuous bed, awesome shower, spectacular view, dimmable halogen lighting, spectacular architecture, an outrageously good room service breakfast (the guy that delivers it to me can also tell me my mother wears army boots), stunning furniture, the finest materials, incredible art, and superlative location.
Haha, there we differ I suppose . I'll take courteous staff and a double bed over unpleasantries and a king.

But then, I also find that good staff tend to provide better rooms, while better rooms hold little guarantee of exceptional service.

John
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
We stayed Sunday - Monday President's Day weekend and despite a $209 rate got a great corner suite on the 7th floor. Staff were very pleasant, would go back.

Looking upwards to the interior rooms visible on higher floors, they were clearly under construction. No curtains, work orders taped to the windows etc.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

The room size felt ample and comfortable and the bathroom was clean and large enough for the two of us... A manager came to our room shortly after checkin to confirm that we were satisfied with it, which we appreciated.

The most enjoyable part of the stay was, contrary to a number of other reviews, that the staff appears to be trying very hard...
TheMane: Are you 100% sure you stayed at the W New York: 541 Lexington Avenue At 49th Street New York City, NY 10022? Any recent seizures? changes to medications? Is your last name van Paasschen? by any chance are you a travel writer?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plt SPG Plt
Also just got back from the W this past weekend. My room on the 6th floor did appear to be renovated, though small as other posters had mentioned. No Platinum upgrade, but I did not anticipate one as I needed 2 beds.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Comparable Trip/Treatment at W -- The Court

Of course later that day I read the reviews here on flyertalk and considered canceling the reservation, but thought we'd give it a try.
Thank you for the trip report to the W -- New York last weekend. It helped me compare my trip last weekend. My girlfriend and I read this very thread and cancelled our $240/night rate at the W -- New York to move to the W -- The Court for $30 more per night. I called both properties Friday night and they were iffy on a suite upgrade. We discussed taking the Acela and ended up driving, (total time in the car was 3:18) finding parking on the street that was free all weekend. We were upgraded to a "Fantastic Suite," also on the 6th floor, about 50 feet smaller than the place I just put an offer on in the BackBay, but arranged in a very odd "L" shape. Sunday night, we enjoyed a local winebar recommended by our concierge and then "Artisanal," as recommended on flyertalk. We liked Wetbar at first, but by Sunday night were too tired of the raucous crowd to fight for a place to sit and just went straight to our room. We found that half of the staff tried hard. There were two that noted our requests, and were never heard from again, so I'd say the staff at the W -- The Court were about 75% on responsiveness. After comparing our experiences, it seems like we would have had a similar experience at the W-- New York. I'll put more details in the thread for the W -- The Court, but I found the stays just similar enough that I thought it worth posting a synopsis here.

-- CaptainG

Last edited by CaptainG; Feb 20, 2008 at 6:23 pm
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Anyone else at W NY tonite (the one on Lex) - Rez down??

My girlfriend just arrived at the W and went to check in. GF said that the rez system is down and is going to be a few hours. She has a dinner meeting and this kinda messed things up. Is anyone else around and know what's going on? Should she inquire about moving to the W Times Square - its less convenient for her, but the value of a shower and place to unwind for a few before a stressful weekend would probably be worth it.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cstead
Should she inquire about moving to the W Times Square - its less convenient for her, but the value of a shower and place to unwind for a few before a stressful weekend would probably be worth it.
It's probably too late, but I would have said definitely. That hotel is much better than this one as well (although it was my 'first' W and I used to love it.. but the TS one is great)

What did they end up doing for people?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Update on W NY

I just stayed at the W NY and I was happy with my experience. My room was very small, but I was only there for one night, so it wasn't the end of the world. This was my first stay at a W (usually, I stay at Westins), so some of this information may be standard across the chain.

Pros: Free drinks/food in the lobby (fruit water, blackberry lemonaid, mini-cheesecake candies); comfortable bed; rain shower; check-in clerk acknowledged my preference for high rooms and put me on the highest room available; curtains that blocked light; soft, indirect lighting that could be dimmed; 32 inch television; i-pod docking station; DVD player

Cons: Shower did not have a full door (it had a partial door like you will often find in Europe); room was very small; room was dark - even with all lights on, it was hard to see; clock was not lit and hard to see.

Overall, I was pretty happy with my stay, and I would stay there again -- but, as others have mentioned, I would pay for a larger room if I was staying for more than 2 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.