Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:06 am

W New York - Lexington Review

Booked a room for Sunday check-in and a Wedensday check-out. All in (taxes included) was $299/night.

I was upgraded to a Fantastic Suite which was great. CHeck in was easy and there was no line. Later that stay, however, I noticed a number of people waiting inline.

The room was basically two rooms connected. A work area and a sleeping area. The bathroom was off the sleep area and was very small. Small enough that it would be difficult to have someone else in the bathroom at the same time. The shower didn't even have a door. It was set back in the corner and had a glass divider which did a pretty good job of keeping the water contained.

A mini-bar charge appeard on my room bill which they quickly removed when I complained. I always wonder how this happens to me and I NEVER use the mini-bar.

The room has the usual W amentieis such as cordless phone, iphone charger and DVD with flatscreen TVs. In general, TV was okay but I never understand why places have Flatscreen/HD TVs but don't opt for HD service. Oh well.

I was on the 10th floor which was just the height of the buildings around me. It also over-looked the side-street so while you didn't get Lexington Ave. traffic noise, you did get trash/service hauling noise most of the night.

There was no club lounge or free food available. My 500 pt amenity gift already posted. The staff was nice and helpful. The location is ideal as you are near the Green 4/5/6 subway as well as the E-Train and V-Train.

I would stay here again but would prefer a higher/quieter room.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:12 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
We stayed earlier this week, took advantage of the Better Tomorrow 50% second night promotion. We were upgraded to a studio suite that was blocked before we checked in. The room was in a corner, with 2 large closets, queen size bed, and a small sitting area with 2 loungers. The bathroom had 2 showers - 1 in standalone configuration, the other in a tub.

We were told that Heartbeat, the hotel restaurant, was closed for lunch during the weekend, so we had a few nibbles at the bar. Delicious "Sexy Fries" (made with parmasan and truffle oil), although a bit expensive at $13.

The staff members were friendly and cordial without the usual "eh, Whatever" attitude, which was fantastic. Will definately return.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
newly minted PLT and didn't get upgraded. i'm in one of the "shoebox" style rooms.. 0/2 this year as a PLT.. oh well.. any other perks as a PLT?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by araknis
newly minted PLT and didn't get upgraded. i'm in one of the "shoebox" style rooms.. 0/2 this year as a PLT.. oh well.. any other perks as a PLT?
Shoebox room? Sounds like you did get upgraded at that property! ;-)
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:39 pm

Impressed with new look at W -New York

Well I got an email a few days ago that said:

We are very excited to announce that you will be among the first guests to experience the new, chic, modern designed suites and rooms by acclaimed architectural firm Brennan Beer Gorman. We hope you enjoy the fresh feel and state of the art technology in your brand new urban oasis.

So I knew that I was pre allocated into a Fantastic suite.^^
Whilst the welcome was not in the style of W -TS, I have enjoyed my stay here and were well looked after. Concierge help was fantastic. Reviews of this property are now out of date. Breakfast was great and wonderful service in Heartbeat. Comeback ....this Hotel has changed.

Great shopping for my wife ( a runner) this morning on 3rd Avenue just around the corner^^

Last edited by aussiechris; Mar 5, 2009 at 3:42 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:33 pm

I have booked this W for my visit to NYC this July. Even though I'd prefer something more downtown, the rates here were a lot cheaper than the other Ws and the new decor looks fab. Plus of course I like the social scene at this W.

But can anyone tell me if all the rooms have been renovated, or are there still some pre-refurb rooms left?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:57 am

All of the guestrooms /suites have been renovated, including all the WOW and Extreme WOW Suites.

Originally Posted by QF009
But can anyone tell me if all the rooms have been renovated, or are there still some pre-refurb rooms left?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
All of the guestrooms /suites have been renovated, including all the WOW and Extreme WOW Suites.
Ta.
Never actually stayed this midtown before (was actually hoping the new W Downtown would be open... but alas not it seems), but seeing its proximity to all the flagship stores on 5th I'm actually rather excited.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: W Residence Owner, SPG Platinum
Just got back from a weekend stay in one of the EWows! The room is quite impressive, the room itself isn't that huge, but the balcony is incredible (I believe my confirmation e-mail said it was 1311sq feet). Took a few pics upon arrival. They were nice enough to leave me some drinks, fresh fruit, lollipops, some power bars, full size bliss products in the bathroom, and two sets of W Pajamas! Here's some links to the pictures!

Part of the little welcome package

The bed

Jacuzzi tub with bliss products

Living room

And of course the incredible balcony!

Overall I loved the hotel, had no problems at all! The service was fantastic and quick, and everyone was super friendly.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
No upgrade for this Platinum either!

Room is much smaller than I have experienced in NYC.

No greetings from the check-in staff, one of my keys didn't work in the elevator, and neither worked for my room. Call the front desk from the in-house phone on my floor, but no on enswered. Had to to all the way down to the front desk and wait in line again. No apologies!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, AAirpass, SPG - PLT, DL - GM
Very pleasantly surprised by the refurbished rooms. I went from staying at the palace or omni berkshire since I hate the W so much to actually enjoying staying here.

Anyone know what's on the top floor? Just suites? Saw a guy use a special card with chip in it to get up there today.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Just stayed on the 18th floor last week, beautiful corner suite with a balcony for only $289. Not sure if it was my PLT status or my Ambassador that got me there.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: AA - EXP, AAirpass, SPG - PLT, DL - GM
Originally Posted by caymancanuck
Just stayed on the 18th floor last week, beautiful corner suite with a balcony for only $289. Not sure if it was my PLT status or my Ambassador that got me there.
Holy cow, 289 even with an upgrade? They've got to be hurting for occupancy right now...
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Just stayed there recently and was upgraded to a small suite. The bedroom and bathroom were awesome! I had a full jacuzzi tub plus a separate shower. Big bathroom, big mirror, excellent light. Queen bed full of pillows and very comfy. Happy to see them with the iPod charger clock on the beside. Only real complaint was the phone was over on the desk and not next to the bed.

The living room furniture, however, leaves much to be desired. If you look closely in the background of the second picture on post #127 you can see the inflatable pool furniture they have. It's not comfortable at all and doesn't invite you and a guest to sit around and enjoy a bottle of wine and chat. You kinda wobble around on top of it as you sit, that is when you're not sliding off because it's plastic. It's truly just like blow up rafts you'd lay on in your pool as you floated around.

I imagine them being cleaned with windex and a towel, and maybe once a year they get piled up somewhere and hosed off.

And just as before the rehab, awesome location.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Starpicks Rate

We live in the city, but the gf wanted Bliss massages and to up the ante, we decided to stay in the hotel on a Saturday night. We were pleasantly surprised to find a Wonderful room at a Starpicks Rate of 179 before taxes, etc. With that rate and only SPG Gold, I dont expect an upgrade, but at this rate it seems like a pretty good deal.

I have stayed at the Court down Lex and know that this room might end up being half the size, but we shall see....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.