Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SOhp101
I'm planning on using Cash & Points for either this or the Four Points Chelsea hotel. They're both in the same category so they cost the same amount of Cash/Points. Which one would be the better value?
in my opinion the w would be a better bet....stayed at the four points earlier this year....nothing wrong with the hotel but there is nothing great about it either....the w on the other hand is a good hotel in a great location, very upgrade friendly & i love the acura service....stayed here last month & got a great upgrade to a fantastic suite (although the bathroom was the smallest i have ever seen in any hotel)....used the acura service twice....very good stay....
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:31 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any status so I don't expect any upgrades... booked a Wonderful room using Cash and Points. 200 sq ft seems rather small for two people but i suppose it's typical. Is there any way of trying to score an upgrade in advance?

I thought about using points to get one but apparently that isn't possible...

edit: another quick question: is there a significant difference between the wonderful and the spectacular room? From what I read on the website, I can't tell. I guess an upgrade to a Mega room would be the true upgrade.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:34 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Is there any way of trying to score an upgrade in advance?

I thought about using points to get one but apparently that isn't possible...
Only possible at check-in using an Instant Upgrade Award, subject to availability of an upgradeable room.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Only possible at check-in using an Instant Upgrade Award, subject to availability of an upgradeable room.
Thanks for the quick reply William

What if I'm sharing the room with someone else and that person will be checking in first? I have to attend a conference before so my friend will be checking in instead. Can I call ahead or can I ask my friend to ask on my behalf?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:09 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thanks for the quick reply William

What if I'm sharing the room with someone else and that person will be checking in first? I have to attend a conference before so my friend will be checking in instead. Can I call ahead or can I ask my friend to ask on my behalf?
You would have to take care of this personally when you arrive unless your traveling companion will be paying for the Instant Upgrade Award with his/her Starpoints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:36 am

W New York - Lexington Ave

I was going to write an actual report but I think my email to the GM probably suffices...

Well Hey There Edward,

I hope you're having a most Whimsical Weekend.

As per your Wish, I have decided to write in about my recent W New York experience. I was eagerly anticipating my stay at this particular W, as I make it a point to check out every single property across the brand (in December I am making a trip to Doha just because there's a W there!), and also because your recent refurb has produced a rather kick arse new decor! Normally I'd stay more downtown at the W Union Square in order to be near Soho but I thought I'd check out your property for a change. Sadly, I was on the whole rather disappointed with my first (and last) W NY experience.

I'd start with the compliments - I LOVE the decor!! The Living Room is amazing, and I love the v minimalist decor in the room with v clever use of colours and space. I also loved the lighting in the hallways, which struck a great compromise between the traditional dark and clubby W feel, and those who prefer more lighting. I particularly enjoyed W Sundays, and appreciate the stringent enforcement of the dress code. The Acura service was most handy in getting me downtown - the booking process was simple and efficient, and my driver was ace. Also not to forget - the friendly folks at the concierge desk (David in particular) who were a great help.

Unfortunately the brickbats far outweigh the bouquets. First, I am most disappointed with the general lack of service when it came to other aspects of the W NY. To begin with, when I arrived in my airport express shuttle, none of the Welcome Ambassadors milling around the entrance offered to lend a hand with my rather heavy suitcase. This lack of any form of welcome continued at the Welcome Desk, where I was served by the most surly Welcome Desk agent I've ever met - I'd only been at the hotel for 10 mins by then but have never felt so unwelcome!

But the worst was yet to come, I know upgrades are the bug bear of every property but it is the upgrade perk of SPG Platinum status that keeps me loyal to Ws as well as Starwood as a whole (vs staying at independent boutique design hotels). I don't even mind being stuck in a shoebox if a property genuinely has no better alternatives available. But if there's one thing I hate - it's being blatantly lied to about an upgrade. Whilst I was checking in, I was told that due to there being no Fantastic Suites available I was being upgraded to a Mega Room (or something that sounded big and impressive). However I arrived to find the same room category as I'd booked, which I believe to be a Cozy Room (if that teeny room was a Mega Room I'd hate to see what a Cozy Room looks like). I then rang up to speak to the Welcome Manager who thankfully found me a much bigger room, it was twice the size of the initial room I was allocated (though aforesaid surly Welcome Desk agent snarled at me and mentioned something along the lines of "it's the same room category anyway.."). That was really a low point in my W NY experience which has barely begun.

I'd hoped that my experience would improve but unfortunately I was yet again let down by the disinterested staff at the Living Room. The Living Room is a major part of any W experience in my view, as I love spending time relaxing there, enjoying the cocktails, people watching and in general - soaking up the W vibe. It is often a great starter place to hang out at for a drink or 5 prior to hitting the city's nightspots. Unfortunately the W NY Living Room was simultaneously short staffed and had servers who seemed intent to avoid serving anybody whatsoever.

I should also inform you that I intend to write a review of this property on Flyertalk, Australian Frequent Flyer as well as other travel forums. I LOVE Ws and it pains me to write a negative review. As well, I always talk up Ws - barring minor quibbles, I have enjoyed every single W I've experienced up till now and hence enthusiastically recommend them to everyone who ask for advice on accomodation. But I cannot in my right mind recommend the W NY - not even with the relatively good value Cat 5 Cash and Points redemption option for this property. Most importantly, it's often been said that the best customers are the ones who complain - I felt so let down and angry at the disparity between my W NY experience vs my W experiences in general that I feel compelled to write in.

Your attention is greatly appreciated, and I do look forward to an improvement in standards of this property - but suffice to say I am rather glad that there are many other Ws to choose from in NYC. In short, I would not have been all that whelmed if this was my intial W experience, which is ironic given that this W was the launch property for the W brand and hence ought to be the flagship property.

Warm Wishes,
QF009
I sent the email over 5 days ago and there's been no response yet, despite the Out-Of-Office auto reply promising a reply within 48 hours.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:14 pm

I am staying at this property this week , they did not have a king bed when i checked in last night so they gave me a room with 2 beds (they even offered me free BF for taking the 2 room instead of the requested king).

The only issue is the bed size....now I understand why my 4 year old does not like to sleep in his bed at home.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:31 pm

By far the worst W property in NYC. OK...I'm lying. I haven't stayed at the W Times Square, so I can't really say for sure. However, of the four that I have stayed at in NYC, this place is atrocious. Worst customer service ever...
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:07 am

OK... so if this hotel is THAT bad, is it worse than Westin Times Square? I've considered booking that one as well but W offers free gym access and car service w/ Acura.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by QF009

I was going to write an actual report but I think my email to the GM probably suffices...

I sent the email over 5 days ago and there's been no response yet, despite the Out-Of-Office auto reply promising a reply within 48 hours.
Good luck, I sent an email a month ago and have had no reply. Their customer service disinterest carries over from the stay (posted a little up thread). Disappointing for this hotel and, for the $$, could have stayed at the Waldorf.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Good luck, I sent an email a month ago and have had no reply. Their customer service disinterest carries over from the stay (posted a little up thread). Disappointing for this hotel and, for the $$, could have stayed at the Waldorf.
I've read the negative reviews before but didn't realise this W was THAT bad, and also as I put some of those reviews down to people for whom Ws are not their thing anyway. Honestly, the only reason I stayed there was the cheap C+P, and to check out the new decor. Otherwise I'd never stay at such a midtown location, even though a couple of subway lines are just 2 streets away and there's free Acura it still took some time to get back to the hotel from places I hang out in which are far more downtown. Back to the W Union Sq for me. Or maybe the new W Downtown. The fact that service here was practically non-existent just reinforces that decision. David at the concierge desk will be missed, but Union Sq also has some fully sick parties.

Last edited by Keith009; Jul 23, 2009 at 5:55 pm
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
This hotel has among the smallest rooms of any hotel I have ever stayed in. it's the worst W I have stayed in. As for the W Times Square, I think it's terrific.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: *Wood Plat, AGR Select Plus
Enough with the lies...

I'm a frequent reading Plat (~100 nights this year to date at *Wood) who rarely posts, but I just can't believe that the front desk staff so blatantly lies. I checked in today and the desk staff confirms my "queen bed." I ask politely if there are any upgrades available...no. Any king beds available? No. Any mega rooms? Yes, we have one of those.

So I'm in a perfectly fine mega room (a tad small but frankly enough for 3 days) and I decide to pull up SPG.Com to check availability. Lo and behold! King beds! Suites! All for reservation! There were at least 3 or 4 rate types listed better than my room's and far below "Wow! Suite" -- unclear how many rooms that translates to. Unfortunately, this is my best choice on our corporate rate and I'll be here a few more months, so I don't want to push the manager too hard, but I really can't believe how they just lie to people's faces.

One time here, I swear the staff member picked up the phone to "call the manager" and talked to nobody for 10 seconds...

Anyway, I'll stop ranting, but any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by QF009

No response as yet, I wonder if i can be bothered doing a follow-up email. Says a lot about the property as a whole really, when not even the GM is interested in addressing guests' concerns. In contrast, GMs at other Ws have always responded promptly, ranging from 15 mins to just under 24 hours after the initial email is sent, whether they're compliments or complaints.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by nologic
This hotel has among the smallest rooms of any hotel I have ever stayed in. it's the worst W I have stayed in. As for the W Times Square, I think it's terrific.
I'm actually at the hotel now. Got upgraded to a decent sized room, however the bathroom is actually really small/poorly configured. The toilet it so close to the sink that you must force the toilet seat up as it touches the side if the sink. Have to say this makes it less than comfortable for use.

Have mixed feelings on the service at the hotel. More on that at. Later time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.