Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, AA 2M, UA, Starwood Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Why the Fairfax Hotel is Lovable

This property is not for everyone - it has its quirks, but it's one of my favorite hotels. Many of the employees are seasoned, sophisticated, very hospitable who have worked at the hotel for decades - even over 30 years. They provide a patina from the ups and downs, the celebs, politicos, the gentry from our country, as well as foreign dignitaries, the airline crews, the bargain hunters who flocked to the hotel when it was tired. Finally, now the hotel has its bones restored to glimmers of its former glory. The location is excellent, the intimate lobby provides a classy welcome, without grand pretentiousness that might make one feel uncomfortable. There's a small, real wood paneled elevator - it feels good to be in a hotel that's just the right size. The views from the Mass Ave. rooms Embassy Row please, although some of the other rooms have non-descript views. Some rooms have showers, instead of bathtubs, but it's not the decor of the hotel, it's the sense of history and graciousness that make this hotel a special one.
Dining has improved; the breakfasts are good, as well as the bar dining. The Jockey Club - don't know if that time period, service and menu can be resurrected. And in the neighborhood are so many excellent, reasonably priced and ethnic restaurants. (Try the excellent dumplings at the nearby Thai restaurant.) Next door, tour Anderson House for free, or across the street visit the Phillips Museum, open also on Thursday evenings with music.
Allow quality time to muse with the Gandhi statute across the street from the hotel.

Employees who've worked somewhere for decades have a dedication, perseverance and pride; they know their business. With a sense of teamwork, these employees worked with this old property for ages and now they proudly want to share what has been restored after years of neglect.

Employees welcome you back from the day or previous visit, there's warmth. Intern employees with artificial smiles who follow scripted corporate friendliness will not be found here. The restaurant staff, room service employees, the telephone operators, the front desk staff and valets at the front door, the housekeepers, the managers, -there's a genuine (almost Southern) hospitality. Some of the old timer, charming employees one would imagine in a Ludwig Bemelsman book about hotels of yore. Sure there are flaws at the hotel, occasional, annoying loose threads in service, upkeep, facilities, and co-ordination, but it has character and graciousness one seldom experiences in the hotel business these days. If you appreciate the above factors which differentiate this hotel from other DC Starwood properties, you'll be pleased to stay at the Fairfax.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Just a heads-up. Got a call from the head of Customer Service at the Fairfax. He was "very grateful" for the feedback - appreciated both the compliments and the criticism. Said he would work to retrain the front desk regarding Platinum upgrades.

It was a classy thing to do. We'll be back next month so I'll keep y'all posted!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mgreg
This property is not for everyone - it has its quirks, but it's one of my favorite hotels. Many of the employees are seasoned, sophisticated, very hospitable who have worked at the hotel for decades - even over 30 years. They provide a patina from the ups and downs, the celebs, politicos, the gentry from our country, as well as foreign dignitaries, the airline crews, the bargain hunters who flocked to the hotel when it was tired. Finally, now the hotel has its bones restored to glimmers of its former glory. The location is excellent, the intimate lobby provides a classy welcome, without grand pretentiousness that might make one feel uncomfortable. There's a small, real wood paneled elevator - it feels good to be in a hotel that's just the right size. The views from the Mass Ave. rooms Embassy Row please, although some of the other rooms have non-descript views. Some rooms have showers, instead of bathtubs, but it's not the decor of the hotel, it's the sense of history and graciousness that make this hotel a special one.
Dining has improved; the breakfasts are good, as well as the bar dining. The Jockey Club - don't know if that time period, service and menu can be resurrected. And in the neighborhood are so many excellent, reasonably priced and ethnic restaurants. (Try the excellent dumplings at the nearby Thai restaurant.) Next door, tour Anderson House for free, or across the street visit the Phillips Museum, open also on Thursday evenings with music.
Allow quality time to muse with the Gandhi statute across the street from the hotel.

Employees who've worked somewhere for decades have a dedication, perseverance and pride; they know their business. With a sense of teamwork, these employees worked with this old property for ages and now they proudly want to share what has been restored after years of neglect.

Employees welcome you back from the day or previous visit, there's warmth. Intern employees with artificial smiles who follow scripted corporate friendliness will not be found here. The restaurant staff, room service employees, the telephone operators, the front desk staff and valets at the front door, the housekeepers, the managers, -there's a genuine (almost Southern) hospitality. Some of the old timer, charming employees one would imagine in a Ludwig Bemelsman book about hotels of yore. Sure there are flaws at the hotel, occasional, annoying loose threads in service, upkeep, facilities, and co-ordination, but it has character and graciousness one seldom experiences in the hotel business these days. If you appreciate the above factors which differentiate this hotel from other DC Starwood properties, you'll be pleased to stay at the Fairfax.
Great review - thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:51 am

Just got back from the Fairfax - second visit in two months. As I mentioned above, already upgraded well in advance to a Deluxe Suite.

We ended up trying three rooms! The first had a bathtub and we asked if we could have one with a shower instead. The second had a shower but there was no outlet by the desk, so no lamp and nowhere to plug in the computer. The third was the charm.

But nothing has ever amazed me more than what happened as we were leaving. The lovely concierge saw us outside and remembered us from last month. Our son, daughter-in-law and their two young children live in DC and they came to the hotel for breakfast. Had to ask the concierge for directions to a Verizon store and she played with the kids a bit. Now, a month later, she asks me how Max and Sophie are!!!??? My mouth absolutely dropped open that she could actually remember their names.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, AA 2M, UA, Starwood Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Incorrect posting of Starwood Points Again

Although this hotel continues as a favorite of our family, for the second time in six months there's been an incorrect posting of points from a recent stay. Despite two phone calls to the hotel, and an email to SPG, there has been no action on resolution. It seems there's a backlog of such inquiries and this is not a priority for the hotel or Starwood.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by mgreg
Although this hotel continues as a favorite of our family, for the second time in six months there's been an incorrect posting of points from a recent stay. Despite two phone calls to the hotel, and an email to SPG, there has been no action on resolution. It seems there's a backlog of such inquiries and this is not a priority for the hotel or Starwood.
What is/was the problem? What didn't post?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:11 pm

I did have an interesting problem come up. For the second straight time, the Platinum 500 points did not post. Called last month after the regular points posted and noticed that the 500 posted almost immediately after the phone call.

When we checked in last time, I was once again asked if I wanted the points as my amenity and again, they didn't post. Called and was told that they no longer offer points as the amenity! When I told him that I was asked if I wanted them at check-in and offered no other amenity, he arranged for the 500 points to be deposited, which they were immediately. But it seems to be a thing of the past now. Has anyone else heard this?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

According to Starwood Lurker, the hotel is part of Luxury Collection. As such, it should not be offering points as a platinum amenity - but you should be offered something else.

Originally Posted by stevens397
When we checked in last time, I was once again asked if I wanted the points as my amenity and again, they didn't post. Called and was told that they no longer offer points as the amenity! When I told him that I was asked if I wanted them at check-in and offered no other amenity, he arranged for the 500 points to be deposited, which they were immediately. But it seems to be a thing of the past now. Has anyone else heard this?

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Just an FYI, but since re-branding to The Luxury Collection, this hotel is not authorized to post welcome amenity points, although they should be offering a local option at check-in.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
According to Starwood Lurker, the hotel is part of Luxury Collection. As such, it should not be offering points as a platinum amenity - but you should be offered something else.
And since I have already asked the SPG hotel coordinators to follow up with this property on this issue several times, I am going to suggest that any further instances become formal complaints filed against them with Corporate Customer Service. Maybe if these start costing them some money on the back end, they will finally quit this practice.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 25, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
Just finishing up a stay at the Fairfax with my wife and infant. This is my first time staying here since the renovation was completed and the hotel is definitely much better.

That being said, this hotel is not for everyone and you definitely need to be prepared for a hotel with some quirks that isn't just a giant westin.

The first time you notice this is when you pull into the valet. It is a very tight driveway and your bags must be carried from the car, into the lobby and up the steps to the bell carts. This can cause some minor stress when the lobby is very busy and many people are trying to check in. Just be prepared for this and you will be fine.

We then checked in early (2:00 pm on Friday) and were graciously greeted and give our upgrade to a suite (I'm a plat). This was very thoughtful of them as the hotel was busy with people checking in and out. We were given one of the nice end suites (X12) which made our sleeping area very quiet. As my wife pointed out though, the air conditioners are very noisy and will probably disturb you somewhat if you are not a sound sleeper.

The sitting area for the suite is very comfortable with a nice 42" flat screen, couch, desk and chair. The bathroom has a nice double vanity with granite countertops and marble floor tile. The bedroom is nicely furnished with a comfortable heavenly bed and another television.

The first afternoon when we checked in, a bowl of fresh fruit and a 2 bottles of water were delivered as our plat. amenity, so the 500 point issue seems to have been resolved.

This hotel has an excellent location and is in great walking distance from numerous cafes and restaurants. As such we did not try the lounge or restaurant. The dupont circle area (and Metro) are very close and Georgetown is a short drive away.

My only real complaint about this hotel is the valet service. For the price they charge it is extremely slow and really not worth the money. If you are persistent parking may be found on the street. This was new for me as I normally do not have a car here.

I'm sure that I am leaving some things out, but these are my first impressions.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up Great Stay at The Fairfax!

Recently used some summer free nights promotions here. First, if you are a
Platinum, you likely will get a suite upgrade on weekends as opposed to the St. Regis where it has been reported a number of times that because of weddings, etc., many suites are pre-blocked for those events -- so you likely will not be disappointed.

Second, I can't speak to the valet as I parked on the street. Likely will become somewhat more challenging in times other than the summer as many locals will not weekend away, but still should be manageable -- although finding parking near the St. Regis may actually be easier as it is much more in a business area of the city -- thus less heavily used than mainly residential Dupont Circle area. However, I do not find the parking entrance for the valet "too narrow." The poster above must be solely a suburban driver.

Third, suite was quite nice, and although my tastes go more to the modern in decor -- Westin is my kind of decor -- it was still quite nice and the bed was great, as were the flat screen tvs.

Bowls of fruit in the morning on each floor, replaced by Perrugina hard candy (Spicchi -- Lemon, Tangerine and Orange flavors) in the evening. Also, Lemonade and cookies near the elveator in the lobby in the afternoons, likely replaced by apple cider and/or hot chocolate as the seasons progress.

Gym -- usefull new machines, recumbent and regular bikes, treadmills, dumbells and other cardio equimpment and headphones provided. Individual TVs on machines.

Jockey Club -- A standout dining experience. Bygone era service and interior -- traditional American dishes inflected with French flair -- typical of Mad Men era. Brunch seems costly; however, the Prix Fixe dinner is an absolute steal and available 7 nights a week: http://www.thejockeyclub-dc.com/asse...atremenu09.pdf

The gnocchi were quite tasty and were served in a simple broth. I had the sirloin -- the only real cut of beef I enjoy -- and ordered it medium well -- yes, that is how I like it, and it was spot on, just a tad left pink in the center. The peppercorn sauce for this "steak au poivre" -- was delicious, and as advised by the maitre de, it only had a touch of cream -- something I never much liked about some classic American cooking, and now that I am older, by body doesn't appreciate much either!

In addition, bread server comes around constantly with four choices -- lavage, cheese lavage, baguette, and potato bread -- all delicious, if the cheese lavage was a bit more buttery tasting that I am used to -- again I stay away from that most of the times when I dine. In addition, add an amuse bouche, and my choice of 3 sorbets -- lemon, mango and raspberry, topped off with complimentary petit fours, and it is not only a wonderful dinner, but also tremendous value for what it provided -- it has to be the best prix fixe that I have had anwhere in recent memory -- and SPG points to boot, even if not staying at the hotel. Also, I think the website indicates that valet parking is complimentary.

Wines by the glass are $13 and bottles start at $50 and go up rapidly, but we had a decent one for $67. Still well worth it.

As others have stated, the area is much nicer with more things to do around Dupont Circle than where the Regis is. Acces via metro is 1 block away.

I found service to be quite good. Cleaning staff is pleasant and honored requests although they changed the soap on me for the next day even though I did not want them to do that! By the way, Gischrist & Soames toilitries in the bathroom. Valets always opened the doors with a smile for us upon return to the hotel. Front desk staff were exemplary and gracious, extra kudos to Tony and Jacques.

Finally, comp shoe-shines are provided, although the website is silent on this -- I am told this is to be rectified.

Plat amenity was different when I was there -- no fruit plate -- instead, a small solid dark chocolate Washington Monument was supplied -- along with 2 small bottles of water. ^

Enjoy!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Sep 9, 2009 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Glad to know they have finally done something with the gym.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Glad to know they have finally done something with the gym.
They had to -- I had to work off my great dinner! It is open 24 hrs with key card access, by the way.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Stayed at the Fairfax this weekend and thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix. I never stayed here when it was the Westin ER, so I apologize I can't compare and contrast.

Tried checking in around noon on Saturday and was told there were no rooms available. No problem. Instead of asking for a cell phone number to contact me when a room opened, or providing a time on when a room might become available, the agent simply turned their back and walked away. Placed our bags in the bell closet and went out.

Returned around 5pm and as we were walking into the hotel my fiancee was nearly hit by a rogue valet who was apparently attempting to determine the 0-60 timing in the SUV he was behind the wheel of. When I say nearly hit I mean, had she not jumped back she would have been under the tire. She pounded on the hood of the car in a frantic attempt to get the driver to pay attention. She was shaking after it was all said and done.

The valet attendant put the car in park and instead of apologizing chastised us for walking in front of the car. Seriously? It's the front of a hotel with cars perpetually in the the turnaround. The valet was just getting into the car when we stepped in front of it and we assumed it was in park. Is there some culpability on our side? Maybe. Was the valet not paying attention, driving recklessly (for all of 5 feet), and completely at fault? Absolutely.

On the bright side, after that little encounter, at least our room was now ready. I used to work the front desk at a hotel and if I were to hear two guests talking about nearly being hit by my valet, you bet your I'd address it. The agent couldn't have been bothered with us however.

To retrieve our luggage from the bell closet, the bellman simply opened the door and had us retrieve our own bags. I'm a very self-sufficient person but I'm not sure how I feel about storing my laptop and personal items in a room that they open up to anyone. To the bellman's credit, he did stick around to make sure we tipped him.

As a Gold I got the usual except the key packet, which confirmed my SPG number was in the res.

Hotel is "stately" and unique, which I like. As another poster mentioned, it's refined without being pretentious. The furnishings aren't how I decorate my house, but they were nice in their own way.

Room was clean and comfortable. Everything was in good working order and the bathroom was nicely appointed. Shower pressure was "meh" (technical term). Bed was comfortable. Room has a nice iPod dock / radio. The room is not quiet and expect to hear everything that's going on in the adjacent room(s).

We didn't receive a folio so I went to the front desk to check out. I asked for a copy of the folio and was told "there were no charges, you were on a prepaid rate. You get no folio." Given Starwood property's propensity to tack on charges after the fact, I always like to have a final copy of my bill. And, I know from requiring receipts for work reimbursement purposes, hotels can provide a receipt even if the rate is pre-paid.

Apparently not at the Fairfax where the agent held firm to the "is not possible." I didn't push it.

Overall the hotel itself is nice and from a property perspective, despite being able to hear our neighbors clear as day, I wouldn't hesitate staying here again if I needed to be around Dupont. The service, however, was astoundingly atrocious.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by belynch
Stayed at the Fairfax this weekend and thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix. I never stayed here when it was the Westin ER, so I apologize I can't compare and contrast.

Tried checking in around noon on Saturday and was told there were no rooms available. No problem. Instead of asking for a cell phone number to contact me when a room opened, or providing a time on when a room might become available, the agent simply turned their back and walked away. Placed our bags in the bell closet and went out.

Returned around 5pm and as we were walking into the hotel my fiancee was nearly hit by a rogue valet who was apparently attempting to determine the 0-60 timing in the SUV he was behind the wheel of. When I say nearly hit I mean, had she not jumped back she would have been under the tire. She pounded on the hood of the car in a frantic attempt to get the driver to pay attention. She was shaking after it was all said and done.

The valet attendant put the car in park and instead of apologizing chastised us for walking in front of the car. Seriously? It's the front of a hotel with cars perpetually in the the turnaround. The valet was just getting into the car when we stepped in front of it and we assumed it was in park. Is there some culpability on our side? Maybe. Was the valet not paying attention, driving recklessly (for all of 5 feet), and completely at fault? Absolutely.

On the bright side, after that little encounter, at least our room was now ready. I used to work the front desk at a hotel and if I were to hear two guests talking about nearly being hit by my valet, you bet your I'd address it. The agent couldn't have been bothered with us however.

To retrieve our luggage from the bell closet, the bellman simply opened the door and had us retrieve our own bags. I'm a very self-sufficient person but I'm not sure how I feel about storing my laptop and personal items in a room that they open up to anyone. To the bellman's credit, he did stick around to make sure we tipped him.

As a Gold I got the usual except the key packet, which confirmed my SPG number was in the res.

Hotel is "stately" and unique, which I like. As another poster mentioned, it's refined without being pretentious. The furnishings aren't how I decorate my house, but they were nice in their own way.

Room was clean and comfortable. Everything was in good working order and the bathroom was nicely appointed. Shower pressure was "meh" (technical term). Bed was comfortable. Room has a nice iPod dock / radio. The room is not quiet and expect to hear everything that's going on in the adjacent room(s).

We didn't receive a folio so I went to the front desk to check out. I asked for a copy of the folio and was told "there were no charges, you were on a prepaid rate. You get no folio." Given Starwood property's propensity to tack on charges after the fact, I always like to have a final copy of my bill. And, I know from requiring receipts for work reimbursement purposes, hotels can provide a receipt even if the rate is pre-paid.

Apparently not at the Fairfax where the agent held firm to the "is not possible." I didn't push it.

Overall the hotel itself is nice and from a property perspective, despite being able to hear our neighbors clear as day, I wouldn't hesitate staying here again if I needed to be around Dupont. The service, however, was astoundingly atrocious.
This post belongs in the Westin Paris master thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.