Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
At the risk of cross-posting (but for the sake of completeness) I thought I'd report back on my recent stay at the Fairfax:

Overall it is a very nice property, a small cut below the St. Regis in terms of luxury but definitely nicer than all the other SPG properties in DC. Maybe better location for tourists though St. Regis is likely better for most business visitors depending on office location. The furnishings and decor are elegant, and betray its former identity as a Ritz Carlton. Some of the bathrooms are pretty small. You want to avoid rooms with connecting doors as you will hear everything from your neighbors. The staff was excellent - one of the best I've found anywhere in DC. Could not be more helpful, the doorman almost always got the door for us and the front desk accommodating a couple of room relo requests and also a 2pm late checkout without any hassle (we are preferred plus). Nice elegant bar downstairs though there are many more interesting places to drink and eat on Conn Ave. I would definitely stay here again, particularly if the pay-your-birthyear rate is available (though note that they recently changed the rate to "birthyear+$100).

A note on parking: we had no trouble finding spots in front of the non-US embassies and Doubletree after 6pm Friday. But weekdays would be impossible except for short stints.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Does anyone have an email contact for Stephen Johnston, the GM?

Thanks.
No one I guess?!

I am not getting the warm fuzzies this go round before I get there tomorrow, which is a shame as I really like the Fairfax. No reply via email or twitter, and I can't seem to get anyone who answers the phone to let me speak to manager.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
No one I guess?!

I am not getting the warm fuzzies this go round before I get there tomorrow, which is a shame as I really like the Fairfax. No reply via email or twitter, and I can't seem to get anyone who answers the phone to let me speak to manager.
Call the Platinum Concierge. You haven't mentioned what type of issue you have but the Platinum Concierge can either deal with it or steer you in the right direction.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Call the Platinum Concierge. You haven't mentioned what type of issue you have but the Platinum Concierge can either deal with it or steer you in the right direction.
I just wanted a little note in my res, not a big deal, just surprised to not get top service here, have always been great in the past.

I canceled res and am staying at St Regis instead this go round.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
After multiple stays at this property, I have made this my Washington DC property of choice (separate from the suburban Virginia properties or which Westin Arlington Gateway is my property of choice).

The property is located 2 blocks from the DuPont Circle Metro station. One can find ample dining options within that area. The hotel restaurant serves quite tasty food for a hotel restaurant.

The staff is consistently friendly and some even remembered a toddler in my traveling party at a subsequent stay. The maids replenish the two bottles of complimentary water daily. I received turndown service with chocolates, robes and slippers. The restaurant waitstaff accommodate requests with alacrity, including extra plates, paper cups for toddler as well as family style dining.

I enjoyed the Remede toiletry products, esp the soap and shampoo/conditioner which did not leave my hair feeling dry as some products do.

The property is only 8 stories tall, and I never waited more than a few seconds for the 2 lobby elevators even during peak hours.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:23 pm
tds

Originally Posted by Totoro
After multiple stays at this property, I have made this my Washington DC property of choice.
I concur. And the rates I've gotten recently are excellent in comparison to other SPG properties in DC.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I was originally scheduled to stay for 10 nights, but checked out after 4 due to a horrible stay and staff that seemed not to care whatsoever. Even the manager was AWOL the entire time. No Platinum upgrade at checkin and they stuck me in a dark dingy room on the 3rd floor with a bathroom so small you couldn't even sit on the toilet without bumping your knees against the door. Not only did I find hairs in the bathroom and bedsheets, but the phone in the room did not work. In fact, when I checked out they even charged me $4 for 1-800 calls, which were never even completed!

The icing on the cake was the dump truck that arrived at 4 am every morning to load trash directly below my room. I couldn't go back to sleep because the noise was so loud.

Called the front desk to complain and ask for a new room. They told they would call back and never did. I then called Platinum concierge and the hotel said they would have a room for me the next day. Stopped in at the front desk and they said "yes, sir we have a room for you but it won't be ready for an hour." Fast forward 4 hours later, 3 calls to the front desk, 2 unreturned calls to the manager and the room is stil not ready. At this point I had had enough and asked if I could checkout without penalty. The front desk agent completely understood and said I could. When I arrive at the front desk the agent says "Sir, are you aware that you are scheduled to check out on Friday?" She wanted to charge me a one night penalty, but fortunately the other agent overheard this and stepped in to rectify situation.

Also, the buffet breakfast is not good and when I arrived close to the end of breakfast the staff treated me like persona non grata and refused to even serve me coffee. I sat at a table without coffee, water, or juice and sipped milk from my cereal bowl to wash down the scrambled eggs and sausage.

This was one of the worst stays I have had and the management here seems to be aloof or inept.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by volkswankin
This was one of the worst stays I have had and the management here seems to be aloof or inept.
I am unsure what happened during your stay but this is the only hotel I stay in DC. I have 100+ nights here this year alone and I have never had an issue.

I would reach out to management again.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Fairfax at Embassy Row DC

When checking out this morning, I was given a gift of boxed chocolates. It was a generous amount of chocolate and they were not the cheap kind either! Thank you to the hotel for excellent customer service!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Gold, EK
That's awesome. This is a great hotel in a great area at a great price (usually).
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Thumbs down Fairfax management don't care

Originally Posted by vrundmc
I am unsure what happened during your stay but this is the only hotel I stay in DC. I have 100+ nights here this year alone and I have never had an issue.

I would reach out to management again.
I'm going to have to agree on the management not caring. I've not spent nearly as much time there as you have, but have 5 stays or so in the past 12 months, and it is fair to say that they seem to care only when you're standing right in front of them furious about the room giving you issues and won't budge until you are satisfied.

2 months ago I drove my car to DC for one night's stay, and it was just fine when I dropped it off at the Valet. One night and $47 parking later, I had a nasty clunking noise for the entire 250-mile drive back home. After emailing back and forth with Kevin at the hotel, I was politely told that it was not the hotel's problem if I didn't report it before leaving the property. Now - let me understand something - I am supposed to magically know that something is wrong with my vehicle before I check out and drive away from the property and thus away from their liability?

Fortunately, BMW covered the repairs under my all-inclusive warranty, which included replacement of front control arm bushings and front thrust arms. Not something which is expected to fail in a 2-year old $70k vehicle (unless, as the dealer advised, it was driven hard over a curb or other uneven surface). Even less expected was the nonchalance and aloof attitude of a Luxury Collection property to a Platinum guest's luxury vehicle.

Even an apology would have kept my business, but there are enough other properties in DC to keep my stays within SPG but away from this sort of careless treatment.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Trying to check pricing on this hotel for the EYD3K promo for 3000 points on a suite and using flexible dates, there is not a single day I can find all year that has that rate available.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
has anyone been able to successfully use their suite nights here????
Old May 22, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
has anyone been able to successfully use their suite nights here????
Yes, did it for one night earlier this month. Deluxe suite cleared at T-5 days. The actual space is not huge (I've been in many bigger non-suites), but hard to beat the hotel's location.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Yes, did it for one night earlier this month. Deluxe suite cleared at T-5 days.
sounds good....have a one night stay coming up in a couple of weeks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.