Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Sorry. I guess I misread that post. I thought she said that she was waiting for them to post, not that she had been offered amenity points at check-in. Some folks assume, but if this was a case of being offered at check-in, then we need to revisit that with the hotel.

They were told specifically not to offer this option at check-in. If they are still doing that, I think you would have to ask them why they have failed to get the word out, not me.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I assume that she was offered them and that she was waiting for them to post.

If she was waiting for them to post as a matter in due course without having cosulted them then I am wrong, but since she was waiting for them to post, I thought that she had to be asked what amenity she wanted -- and that she chose points.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I assume that she was offered them and that she was waiting for them to post.

If she was waiting for them to post as a matter in due course without having cosulted them then I am wrong, but since she was waiting for them to post, I thought that she had to be asked what amenity she wanted -- and that she chose points.
Well, ldsant knows where to find me in any case.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:55 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
William,

Just so you know, I had contacted the hotel directly last week and asked for reservations... and was told directly that my rate was $124, NOT the $99 rate that I had booked.

Thus, my two followups with Customer Service via email where they in essence ignored my question.... as was posted in the Hotel Deals thread.

Only after getting Theyeus involved did I finally get confirmation of my rate. Of course, it is still wrong in my account... I guess I will hope it is correct.

What makes this worse, is that my trip is for a Board Meeting... and I authorized others to use the same hotel with this rate... and they are all a bit antsy when they saw the rate change...

Thanks,

William
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by wharvey
William,

What makes this worse, is that my trip is for a Board Meeting... and I authorized others to use the same hotel with this rate... and they are all a bit antsy when they saw the rate change...

Thanks,

William
Dearest wharvey,

My colleagues have just updated me and most likely they will be contacting you once again regarding the rates.

As explained, it seems to be a problem with the website and currently the team is working on fixing it.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old May 1, 2009, 6:54 pm

Three questions...

Post renovation how are the bathrooms? Water pressure? walk-in shower added?

Also, post-renovation, is the furniture still as stuffy as it used to be or will I still feel very out of place because I didn't cash my social security check to pay for the room? I'm OK with classy, not that thrilled with stuffy.

Finally, how is the bed compared to the Westin Grand?

Thanks!
Old May 2, 2009, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by boolean64
Three questions...

Post renovation how are the bathrooms? Water pressure? walk-in shower added?

Also, post-renovation, is the furniture still as stuffy as it used to be or will I still feel very out of place because I didn't cash my social security check to pay for the room? I'm OK with classy, not that thrilled with stuffy.

Finally, how is the bed compared to the Westin Grand?

Thanks!
Did you read any of my reviews, with pictures? I have reviews both pre and post renovation. Looking at those should answer your first two questions. Not all rooms have walk in showers.

The bed was fine, it was firm which I like.
Old May 2, 2009, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Did you read any of my reviews, with pictures? I have reviews both pre and post renovation. Looking at those should answer your first two questions. Not all rooms have walk in showers.

The bed was fine, it was firm which I like.
I did read your posts, CE...and I was confused. Your last stay report rates the Embassy Row as a 4 out of 10 (post-renovation). However, elsewhere you say that you would recommend this property, and indeed call it "solid." In fact, in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...estins-dc.html you rate the Fairfax first (I assume based on the overall rating of 4) and the Westin Grand third, even though you rated that hotel 6.5 in the Westin Grand master thread.

So I thought I'd ask specific questions in hope of more data points about the things that I care about.
Old May 2, 2009, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by boolean64
I did read your posts, CE...and I was confused. Your last stay report rates the Embassy Row as a 4 out of 10 (post-renovation). However, elsewhere you say that you would recommend this property, and indeed call it "solid." In fact, in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...estins-dc.html you rate the Fairfax first (I assume based on the overall rating of 4) and the Westin Grand third, even though you rated that hotel 6.5 in the Westin Grand master thread.

So I thought I'd ask specific questions in hope of more data points about the things that I care about.
My first post reno full review (March '08) rating was low because I don't like the decor and at that time there was no wireless in rooms. However, you should be able to decide if you like the decor from the pictures and the May '08 update. It's not going to change at this point. I've had three or four says since the reno and due to location, staff attitude and room assignment, it is my first choice. The Westin Grand and City Center are a toss up, based on price, since both are located further away from Dupont.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 2M, UA, Starwood Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Starpoints still not posted from The Fairfax - a favorite hotel

April 2 a small group of family and friends checked out of this favorite property. Despite numerous follow ups, the points and stays are still incorrect. Inquiries to the hotel and Starwood haven't caused resolution. Am staying at the property this coming week and hope that the points and stays will be properly posted without further time/hassles. We love the property as the staff is seasoned, sophisticated, very hospitable, the location is excellent, the Mass Ave view rooms have light and please the eyes. The food has improved, and there are also many fine eateries close by. The front desk staff, room attendants, doormen, telephone operators and many other behind the scenes staff - they have warmth and professionalism. Though the property is like a dressed up dowager, the bones of the property are solid, beautiful.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgreg
April 2 a small group of family and friends checked out of this favorite property. Despite numerous follow ups, the points and stays are still incorrect. Inquiries to the hotel and Starwood haven't caused resolution.
Fax your bill to 519-633-8557 or e-mail a copy to [email protected]
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 2M, UA, Starwood Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Starpoints still not posted from The Fairfax - a favorite hotel

About six weeks ago I faxed the info. A month later there was a callback from the hotel which still has not posted the points or stays. I've reported this to SPG which hasn't been able to resolve this, either, yet. An official complaint file has not been initiated, though I thought it was. Surely, Starwood will do right to its clients eventually. Are others having similar complications with correct Starpoint postings and stays?

Last edited by mgreg; Jun 20, 2009 at 11:33 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgreg
Are others having similar complications with correct Starpoint postings and stays?
There have been lots of problems with this property. William keeps trying to fix it!

Send Starwood Lurker a PM or e-mail.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by soitgoes
There have been lots of problems with this property. William keeps trying to fix it!

Send Starwood Lurker a PM or e-mail.
Yes, when the system doesn't work as it should, you should not hesitate to email the Starwood Lurker. I GUARANTEE you that William will get you the points you are properly owed under the Terms & Conditions. He did it for me.

Last edited by DCBob; Jun 21, 2009 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Well, here's my trip review from my first stay at the Fairfax. I had stayed once at the Westin Embassy Row and really like it - and it's very close to my son and his family in DC.

This trip, we initially booked at the Grand since they offered Cash/Points and the Fairfax didn't. Then about a week before the trip, they started offering Cash/Points. The day of the trip, I called from NJ to see what I had been upgraded to and was told it was a King room. I asked if there were any suites available and they said no. Since there were loads of suites and junior suites on the Fairfax site, I made a reservation there and cancelled the last two nights at the Grand.

We checked into the Fairfax early and I told them that all I really wanted was to leave the bags - I realized how early it was. They told me the room was ready. I asked what they had upgraded me to and was told it was a lovely King. I told them that I knew there were all sorts of suites available on the website. I would be more than happy to wait for one but that suites were available and that's what I want. No problem, they said, we have one for you right now.

I just don't get it. Why not "thrill" me rather than pissing me off? Why make me ask for it. The suite was lovely, the hotel elegant. the staff friendly and helpful - so why not go all the way and make me feel valued and welcome?

The other downsides - came home to the hotel at 6:15 PM on Saturday and went to the room - and it had not been touched! Called the desk and they seemed surprised and said they would send someone right away. I told them I had no intention of sitting there and would wait in the bar. I hoped/assumed they would offer to take care of the first round. No offer was forthcoming. That said, the charming bartender, upon hearing our plight, told us the hotel would take care of it - now we only had a few sodas but it was the thought that mattered. The gentleman at the front desk didn't seem to care a bit.

Then this morning, opened the door to retrieve the newspaper and it wasn't there. Called up and they sent it up.

The first night I was there, I wrote a letter to the GM telling how magnificent the hotel was and how lovely the people were - and how I felt about being offered a king room when suites were there for the taking/asking. Two days, later, I never heard a word in reply.

So will I stay there again - you betcha. It's a lovely place and if you stand up for your rights, they will acknowledge your status. But what should have been a superb stay was marred by such little things. I'm writing this critically - please understand we had a great weekend. But this is FT and you're entitled to a full review. A wonderful hotel stopped short of delivering excellence at it is a small shame.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Stevens -- appreiciate your review.

The problem with the hotel seems to be that it is marketing itself as a LC property, but the service is hardly anything like that. There is the rub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.