Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
Just to chime in on this... I stay at several of the DC area starwoods (both DC Westins, Alexandria Westin, W, and Sheraton Suites) and I find The Fairfax consistently has the best staff.

My coworkers and I have had the occasional issue... but overall this has been a great property for us. The hotel has followed up with each issue after the fact to insure everything was handled to satisfaction.

They also have a happy hour for platinum guests from 6-7 on certain evenings (I haven't completely figured out the schedule). Make sure you ask about it if you check in on a week night.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by belynch
Stayed at the Fairfax this weekend and thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix. I never stayed here when it was the Westin ER, so I apologize I can't compare and contrast.

Tried checking in around noon on Saturday and was told there were no rooms available. No problem. Instead of asking for a cell phone number to contact me when a room opened, or providing a time on when a room might become available, the agent simply turned their back and walked away. Placed our bags in the bell closet and went out.

Returned around 5pm and as we were walking into the hotel my fiancee was nearly hit by a rogue valet who was apparently attempting to determine the 0-60 timing in the SUV he was behind the wheel of. When I say nearly hit I mean, had she not jumped back she would have been under the tire. She pounded on the hood of the car in a frantic attempt to get the driver to pay attention. She was shaking after it was all said and done.

The valet attendant put the car in park and instead of apologizing chastised us for walking in front of the car. Seriously? It's the front of a hotel with cars perpetually in the the turnaround. The valet was just getting into the car when we stepped in front of it and we assumed it was in park. Is there some culpability on our side? Maybe. Was the valet not paying attention, driving recklessly (for all of 5 feet), and completely at fault? Absolutely.

On the bright side, after that little encounter, at least our room was now ready. I used to work the front desk at a hotel and if I were to hear two guests talking about nearly being hit by my valet, you bet your I'd address it. The agent couldn't have been bothered with us however.

To retrieve our luggage from the bell closet, the bellman simply opened the door and had us retrieve our own bags. I'm a very self-sufficient person but I'm not sure how I feel about storing my laptop and personal items in a room that they open up to anyone. To the bellman's credit, he did stick around to make sure we tipped him.

As a Gold I got the usual except the key packet, which confirmed my SPG number was in the res.

Hotel is "stately" and unique, which I like. As another poster mentioned, it's refined without being pretentious. The furnishings aren't how I decorate my house, but they were nice in their own way.

Room was clean and comfortable. Everything was in good working order and the bathroom was nicely appointed. Shower pressure was "meh" (technical term). Bed was comfortable. Room has a nice iPod dock / radio. The room is not quiet and expect to hear everything that's going on in the adjacent room(s).

We didn't receive a folio so I went to the front desk to check out. I asked for a copy of the folio and was told "there were no charges, you were on a prepaid rate. You get no folio." Given Starwood property's propensity to tack on charges after the fact, I always like to have a final copy of my bill. And, I know from requiring receipts for work reimbursement purposes, hotels can provide a receipt even if the rate is pre-paid.

Apparently not at the Fairfax where the agent held firm to the "is not possible." I didn't push it.

Overall the hotel itself is nice and from a property perspective, despite being able to hear our neighbors clear as day, I wouldn't hesitate staying here again if I needed to be around Dupont. The service, however, was astoundingly atrocious.
That is untrue. Maybe that agent didn't know how to process a prepaid folio, but it can be done.

I've been to this property numerous times.

You should have asked for a manager.

If something goes wrong ask for a manager so someone else doesn't suffer the same issue you yourself dislike.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
That is untrue.
I know it's untrue. I just didn't care enough / have enough time to pursue it with the MOD.

If I was going to complain about any aspect of my stay, I think it would have been my fiancee almost being run over by a hotel employee. Kind of puts not receiving a copy of my receipt in a bit of perspective.

My key takeway from the Fairfax was that the FOH staff I encountered repeatedly demonstrated to me they were not interested in providing any level of customer service. That was simply my takeaway, certainly not a statistically significant sample, and I'm encouraged to hear other guests haven't experienced the same lack of service.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:16 pm
Suspended

I have received excellent service there, and if there is a problem -- and I have had some -- the MOD has always taken care of me.

It could perhaps be due to status as well, as I am a Platinum, but I don't know. That was terrible with the valet and I would be hopping mad!!!

I don't think I have received bills, but I think I may have received an e-folio from them, but not sure.

Was this a SPG pre-paid rate, if so, I have had other SPG hotels make mistakes about the cost and treat it as if it were a priceline reservations-- which it was not -- and I had to call the hotel to advise that it was a valid SPG reservation and I am due poitns and stay credit. But that did not happen at the Fairfax, rather it was a Sheraton.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Had a stay last weekend.

I prefer to stay in Dupont since I can walk to many restaurants, friends homes or establishment in the Westend, Georgetown, etc. I've yet to try the W (which I went past) because the Fairfax has treated me so well.

I get to valet and the mention me by name. I love that.

Got to my room and was very pleasantly surprised that I was upgraded to a super large suite. I've never stayed in this room before (even before the renovation and reflagging).

You walk in to a nice seating area with a dining table, desk and sofa. Very spacious.

Off that room is the bedroom. At the point where the two rooms meet is a bathroom.

The bathroom was a bit small for a room that size. But like the other bathrooms, nicely appointed and the towels and toiletries are top notch! ^^ The towels are amazing!

Once you pass the bathroom, you're in the bedroom. The bedroom is larger than the Parlor. It's huge. On one side is the bed opposite that is the seating area and closet. This easily could have been one room itself.

Finally, the gym has been completed.

Very nice and super quiet.

As a W lover, it's really hard to give up the convienience of this

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jan 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Nice review.. trying to decide between C&P at the W or paid stay at the Fairfax for February. Biggest complaint at the W seems to be room size. How are the standard rooms at the Fairfax (assuming I do not get the plat upgrade to something larger...)

FDW
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Nice review.. trying to decide between C&P at the W or paid stay at the Fairfax for February. Biggest complaint at the W seems to be room size. How are the standard rooms at the Fairfax (assuming I do not get the plat upgrade to something larger...)

FDW
Prior to renovation and when I was gold I was getting nice sized rooms. the Fairfax's location is primo to the W in my opinion.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Whenever I'm in DC/NoVa/MD, I prefer the Fairfax on Embassy Row. In 2009 I stayed a few dozen nights. So far in 2010, it'll be 12 nights in less than a couple weeks. Here's my take:

Service
-The service is great. The employees that have been here for years are always attentive to your needs
-Southern hospitality...heck during the summers they even put out cold lemonade and cookies

Rooms
-Ask for a room on Mass. Ave to get great light
-All rooms are unique, some are nicely laid out, others can be slightly awkward shaped (they tried to fit all the standard furniture but not all rooms are rectangular)
-WiFi is mostly available throughout, some rooms drop depending where you are sitting. LAN cables are usually not connected. Sometimes you have to move furniture to find an outlet
-Furniture and amenities are better than most SPG properties
-Gym: they just put some new machines in with built in TVs.

SPG Benefits
-Upgrades: As PLT, I'm sometimes upgraded from the standard Superior Room to the Grand Deluxe (slightly bigger). Unfortunately by the time I arrive (last flight from the Left coast - upgrades are mostly gone)
-Lounge: No lounge here, but Mon-Thur ask for the Jockey club SPG member cocktail chit (5-6pm). This rustic restaurant has the friendliest bartenders in the world
-Shoeshine: not only for spg'rs, but they provide complimentary shoeshines
-SPG points sometimes don't post correctly, slow to correct.

-Close to restaurants that are open late (Brickskeller for beer/food till 2am and Pizzeria Paradiso.)
-Compared to other SPG properties: Beats out the Westin City Center (this place is so stuck in the 80s), Westin Grand (nice but too far to walk anywhere other than Georgetown). Haven't tried the St. Regis or the new W yet
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shah1md
Whenever I'm in DC/NoVa/MD, I prefer the Fairfax on Embassy Row. In 2009 I stayed a few dozen nights. So far in 2010, it'll be 12 nights in less than a couple weeks. Here's my take:

Service
-The service is great. The employees that have been here for years are always attentive to your needs
-Southern hospitality...heck during the summers they even put out cold lemonade and cookies

Rooms
-Ask for a room on Mass. Ave to get great light
-All rooms are unique, some are nicely laid out, others can be slightly awkward shaped (they tried to fit all the standard furniture but not all rooms are rectangular)
-WiFi is mostly available throughout, some rooms drop depending where you are sitting. LAN cables are usually not connected. Sometimes you have to move furniture to find an outlet
-Furniture and amenities are better than most SPG properties
-Gym: they just put some new machines in with built in TVs.

SPG Benefits
-Upgrades: As PLT, I'm sometimes upgraded from the standard Superior Room to the Grand Deluxe (slightly bigger). Unfortunately by the time I arrive (last flight from the Left coast - upgrades are mostly gone)
-Lounge: No lounge here, but Mon-Thur ask for the Jockey club SPG member cocktail chit (5-6pm). This rustic restaurant has the friendliest bartenders in the world
-Shoeshine: not only for spg'rs, but they provide complimentary shoeshines
-SPG points sometimes don't post correctly, slow to correct.

-Close to restaurants that are open late (Brickskeller for beer/food till 2am and Pizzeria Paradiso.)
-Compared to other SPG properties: Beats out the Westin City Center (this place is so stuck in the 80s), Westin Grand (nice but too far to walk anywhere other than Georgetown). Haven't tried the St. Regis or the new W yet
Sorry I have to disagree with that. I've walked between the Westin Grand and Embassy Row to do matress runs. It's not that far to walk between the grand and dupont circle.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:19 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

FDW
Fairfax is my choice over the W in DC - by a LONG shot. Fairfax has better amenties, a better location, and better rooms. (Unless you're into the ultramodern W look, and even then the W's walls seemed ridiculously thin eery time I stayed there.

Considering the difference in rates, save your points and hit the Fairfax.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Nice stay (so far) at the Fairfax Embassy Row

Checked in last night for a 2-nights award stay at the Fairfax Embassy Row, after a flight from Frankfurt (my family picked me up at IAD).

Was warmly welcomed and recognized as a Platinum and was informed that I was upgraded to what appears to be a Deluxe Suite (very similar to the one that Cheap Elite posted the pics on, less the round dining room table).

Parking was a steep $38 a day with unlimited in and out, but then we're on Embassy Row.

The suite furnishing is definitely elegant old school, but NOT dated (everything looks new) - in fact, I very much liked it since it reminds me of a fine hotel in Paris, London, or Madrid. I'm not really too much into the ultra modern Zen stuff at W

Service was top notch:
1. Housekeeping came up immediately to set up the sofa bed so that my son can sleep on it (the suite only has a very nice king bed for my wife and me).
2. Room service breakfast was super quick, barely 15 minutes! Don't know if it's the same on weekdays or not, but if it is, it's a big plus. The room service rolling serving table was elegant and well appointed, and the eggs, meats, and toast were cooked to perfection, as expected for a hotel of this caliber. The coffee and orange juice were superlative as well.

The bathroom was spacious and nicely appointed, although as many pointed out, there is no separate shower. However, the water pressure was excellent (much needed for me after the long flight from Frankfurt, even if it was in C) and the REMEDE toiletries are very nice.

WiFi Internet access was a surprising reasonable $9.95 per day so I hooked it up so that my son can amuse himself.

The location of this hotel cannot be beat, with so much to do, explore, and eat around the area.

Will update further if there is anything further to say.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
lovely hotel, excellent location, excellent staff...

hated the bed. IMO, even the sheraton sleeper is a better bed.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
lovely hotel, excellent location, excellent staff...

hated the bed. IMO, even the sheraton sleeper is a better bed.
Interesting since last night was one of the best night's sleep I have had in months. I didn't want to get out of the bed this morning!

I like this hotel. I realize it is not everybody's cup of tea (it is definitely "old school") but it's refreshing to see charm at a hotel. I love the location (<5 minute walk to the metro), I like the bellmen who open the door every time I came in or left. I was upgraded to a room with a sitting room and a huge bathroom. I could see the Washington Monument from my room. Honestly, I was in the room for the 8 hours of sleep I had plus about another hour so I can't give a hugely detailed report. This is the 2nd time I've stayed at this hotel and I would recommend it to others.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Just completed a two-night points stay at the Fairfax. I would give it a mixed review.

Unfortunately, my experience for the entire weekend was colored by my check-in experience. I arrived at about 9pm on Friday, and was offered a Grand Deluxe room on the 4th floor (446). I asked whether any suites were available, and without checking anything, the clerk said (apologetically) that they were not. I was asked "do you want points as your amenity?" and said yes; I will report back when and if they post.

Upon arriving in the room, I checked spg.com, and for my two nights, suites in all categories except Junior were being sold -- including the Deluxe Suite which most here report as an upgrade. The Platinum line also confirmed the availability of those suites. To add insult to injury, even at 9pm on the night of check-in, the suites were being sold at prepaid discount rates. So clearly, the hotel could have upgraded me had it wanted to. I did not have the time to confront the desk about the issue, as I was already running late to an event; however, I made note of it on the departure survey, and will update this review if I receive any response.

As for the Grand Deluxe room, my experience with it was mixed. Decor is pleasant if entirely not my style. There were one or two small maintenance issues -- a broken hinge on the bar and a burned out light in the bathroom. Also, the cream for the in-room coffee was spoiled.

The bathroom felt cramped and dark; in particular, the toilet area was very confined due to the layout of the room, and I kept tripping over the wastebasket and scale because there was no place to put them that was out of the way. Toiletries seem sparse -- just shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soaps, emery board, and shower cap. No shower gel or mouthwash, let alone more luxurious items.

My biggest frustration with 446 in particular was its location -- as the first room going down the hall (on the Mass Ave side) it got noise from both the elevator lobby and street fairly regularly. This was frustrating early in the morning, but I was able to drown some of it out by setting the thermostat to "high fan."

Staff was very friendly throughout the weekend, though my interaction with them was fairly limited. The public areas of the hotel are charming and nicely kept. And the location is impeccable. I also really liked the towels and linens -- they are top notch. (The towels are Frette; I suspect the linens are as well.) The bed was very comfortable, although strangely warm.

All in all, I am somewhat ambivalent to the property. I suspect they could win me back with a positive response to the guest survey, but I really resent being lied to about upgrade availability, and the positives of the property (in lieu of that upgrade) were not enough to overcome that bad taste. I expect that my next paid stay in DC will be with either Hyatt or Kimpton.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:12 pm

Westin Grand vs Fairfaix

I usually stay at the Westin Grand. I stayed once at City Center and found it a little run down looking, and a less desirable location. I have a stay booked at the W next week. Is it worth exploring the Fairfax compared to the Westin Grand? The Westin Grand has never upgraded me to a suite (I understand they have very few), but at least their gym is adequate.

What is the gym like at the Fairfax? Do they have weights and items other than treadmills? I'm here for business so I mainly care about gym, the room for when I'm working in the evenings, and where I can walk to for grabbing dinner (or the hotel restaurant if its any good).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.