Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barracuda93
It's actually very surprising to hear people prefer a Sheraton over SR/LM/W/Westin.
But haven't stayed there myself, so can't comment.
interestingly even though my post you quoted is from 2009(!) SGS is still a great hotel...
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:17 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
It's actually very surprising to hear people prefer a Sheraton over SR/LM/W/Westin.
But haven't stayed there myself, so can't comment.
You really ought to try it out.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:05 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
interestingly even though my post you quoted is from 2009(!) SGS is still a great hotel...
Originally Posted by yosithezet
You really ought to try it out.
Sheraton is just a name, the SGS is not your run of the mill Sheraton, actually a Luxury Collection property, as we all know
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Why are we all responding to some random person quoting from years ago and saying they've never stayed there? Why encourage someone like this to stay at a hotel we all know is wonderful? Let them keep their uninformed opinion and the rest of us can just enjoy it
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by estnet
Why are we all responding to some random person quoting from years ago and saying they've never stayed there? Why encourage someone like this to stay at a hotel we all know is wonderful? Let them keep their uninformed opinion and the rest of us can just enjoy it
Because that is what we do on Flyertalk - to help our fellow travelers
barracuda93 and Dave510 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:42 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I have stayed at the SGS, WGS, PA (pre-renovations), Le Meridien (Surawong) on various previous trips to Bangkok, and prefer SGS amongst those 3. Haven't stayed at the St. Regis or the W yet.

If rates were the same at SGS, W and StR, which one would you pick?

LTP100/Ambassador guest, if that will make a huge difference at one property over another...

Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:44 am

All things being equal, I would choose the StR. A lot of people here are die-hard SGS fans.

Perhaps also consider the merits of the PA post-renovations. I was there a few weeks ago and I think the property is beautiful.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Rarely are things equal!. I am happy to stay at the SGS but I dont value bumping into the GM at the SGS and I dont like the pool nearly as much as some here so because of price I havent stayed there for some years. The StR has the best hardware for sure and location is ok but butler service is of zero value to me and the breakfast layout is sub optimal. I like the LM for the Patpong market but the standard rooms are ordinary, suites are great as is happy hour. PA is nice with great lounge and breakfast Westin is acceptable and both can often be had for very attractive BRGs so they tend to get my business more. I like the W even if the location is suboptimal and benefits not so great, just like the vibe and breakfast and again I scored some great BRGs. I like the Aloft because its cheap and I like Soi 11. 4 Points is ok but overpriced so rarely gets my custom. ROS is ok for river, can usually be had for a great BRG and has nice lounge, but rooms are tired and location is bad for anything but the river. I stay in them all depending on price and where I want to be but StR and SGS get the least of my custom because I just dont value them for the price. The fact that SGS went up in category and tried to price itself up and is now back down to previous levels of pricing tends to indicate for me that many also find the value/price tradeoff compared to the rest to be finely tuned. As you can all tell, BRGs often are the equaliser for me as all my expenses come out of my pocket and I put little value on service, Im big enough and experienced enough to look after myself.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
My last BKK trip I stayed at StR; for my upcoming one I'm heading to SGS. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Can there be any reason not to go for SR in such case?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From your posts upthread, it seems you have not actually stayed in any of these properties, correct?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A lot of people have an almost irrational fondness of the SGS and I for one have an opposite feeling for the St Regis. So while it may be worth twice as much on paper, I'm certainly expecting to be in the SGS on my next trip to BKK even if prices come into alignment.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A lot of people have an almost irrational fondness of the SGS ....
I gather that you have not stayed there? After you do, while you may not share the fondness, I doubt that you will find it irrational or without basis.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I gather that you have not stayed there? After you do, while you may not share the fondness, I doubt that you will find it irrational or without basis.
I'm approaching 10 stays at the SGS in the last few years - I think my use of "almost irrational" was perhaps an Anglicism which didn't translate too well. There are hotels which on paper are clearly more luxury than the SGS, but when I'm back in Bangkok (maybe in a few weeks) I look forward to laying around at Sala, eating all the brunch and enjoying cover music at BarSu.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:56 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by AJLondon
I have stayed at the SGS, WGS, PA (pre-renovations), Le Meridien (Surawong) on various previous trips to Bangkok, and prefer SGS amongst those 3. Haven't stayed at the St. Regis or the W yet.

LTP100/Ambassador guest, if that will make a huge difference at one property over another...

Thanks!
Stay at STR to check off the list and have a good understanding of why you are choosing not to stay there in the future.

Stay at the W to get a feel for the location.

Stay at the SGS for all the reasons you already experienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.