Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Princeville Villas timeshare offers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of Princeville Villas timeshare offers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by clover
I believe that large SVO desk is actually the Concierge desk, though it is fully supplied with SVO materials and the concierges "mention" SVO every time you ask them to make a dinner reservation for you.
The SVO reps also double as concierges so you have more reasons to visit them. It was like that at Princeville as well as in Honolulu. Smart setup on their part. The dedicated concierge desk is over in the corner with the rack of brochures...so if you're facing the front desk, turn to your left 90 degrees and there it is. But from what I remember when I was there, it wasn't always staffed.

On another note, SVO seems to be stepping up their marketing. They called the other day and offered my wife a package at the Sheraton Maui for $749, 6 days 5 nights garden view room, plus $185 Avis voucher, plus $100 resort certificate, bookable through February 2007. Zoikes.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:04 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, United 1K, Continental Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Today I received an offer from the Princeville Resort:

Dear RichardInSF,

An exclusive offer to Vacation on the Island of Kauai at the Award-Winning Princeville Resort for only $798.

As a valued SPG, .... your exclusive invitation includes:

Five Nights Accomodation at Princeville Resort

8,000 SPG Starpoints OR $100 Resort Certificate redeemable for Dining, Shopping, Golf, and Spa services within the Princeville Resort

PLUS $185 towards an Avis Rental car
I first thought this was a timeshare promotion, but it doesn't appear to be. The small print on the back says it's targeted, must call within 15 days of receiving the invitation to book (but can book subject to limited availability for up to 12 months in advance, with 60 days advance purchase), and it's subject to the resort fee ($16/day). There are other restrictions, including advance payment, but they seem reasonable.

This sounds like a real deal -- so I ask the gurus of FT: am I missing something here? If I take the offer, are the 8,000 starpoints better than the $100 resort certificate? Please share your wisdom!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:05 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, United 1K, Continental Gold
Heck, even wtih a little pressure to attend a time share presentation it's a deal.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mbreuer
Is that for Maui or Kauai?

Maui.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:23 am
bex

Actual Owners

All,

I realize a lot of folks want the nice vacation price (having just been in Maui on an Amex based referral for SVO, I know how good it is).

My question is how many people here actually bought? Is there a non-starwood board where you guys discuss your ownership? Please feel free to PM me as opposed to posting as this is probably not of general interest.

thanks,

bex
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: hilton diamond SPG/Marriott platinum UA silver AA platinum
Hi ferndale,
Are you still taking requests for invites? I have just PM-ed you with my information and I would appreciate if you could reply back to me. If you are no longer taking requests, sorry for the trouble

Originally Posted by ferndale
Hi all, I see lots of these requests for invites. If no one has taken care of this for you, feel free to send me a pm with your name, address, e-mail, home phone, city state, zip, and which resort you want and I will be happy to send that in.
Also very important for those folks out of the US, they cannot mail you an invite, but I have found a phone number that you can call after you are added to a list so that you can be included, too.
There were several people I sent in this spring who I was told could not be included because of being outside the US, if you are still interested, message me and I will give you the phone number.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by bex
...Is there a non-starwood board where you guys discuss your ownership?...
Probably this one is the best-known:

http://www.tug2.net/

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:38 am

Programs: UA1P
Just got back from the Westin Maui Villas. Original offer was for the princeville but they were all booked up for 2005 and was offered the villas instead. It was amazing! $749 for 5 nights...includes a 'free' avis rental (you have to pay approx $40 in taxes), 8000 points or $100 resort credit (I took the points) and another 7000 points or $50 resort credit and a SPG50 without expiration date for attending the timeshare presentation. They mentioned that 50% of people on packages purchased a timeshare but this may just be salesmen talk. 2bd annual usage was 40K with $1700 annual maintenance fee, 85000 points bonus for buying, gold for life. The talk was good especially the part where you can trade the timeshare points for 80K starwood points each year if Maui was not your destination of choice. We ended up not buying but it sure looked good.

For those that are more timeshare savvy, would it be possible to qualify for the incentives (again) in a year or so when we are ready to buy? They made it sound like it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
For the 40k down and annual fee, how often are you able to use the timeshare?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by javachik2004
For the 40k down and annual fee, how often are you able to use the timeshare?
40k is not the down payment - it's the purchase price. I believe that is the going rate for a villiage view 2BR lock-off. You get 1wk/year at Maui in a 2BR lockoff... or more if you split the week between the studio and 1br components. If you trade to another resort you may get significantly more time depending on the resort, the room and the week. There are lots of other options - maybe you should listen to a presentation?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by jchao
The talk was good especially the part where you can trade the timeshare points for 80K starwood points each year if Maui was not your destination of choice. We ended up not buying but it sure looked good.
I don't know for svo, but for marriott you can only swap the week for points (110K I think) every other year. It strikes me that the maintenance fee is not that far off the rental value anyway.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Starwood Owner - Maui and Scottsdale
Originally Posted by alex69uk
I don't know for svo, but for marriott you can only swap the week for points (110K I think) every other year. It strikes me that the maintenance fee is not that far off the rental value anyway.
Actually, for an average week in Oct. (which is off season) the 2 bdm. rents for $850 per night on Starwood's website or $5,950 for a week.

With a Starwood timeshare, you can exchange it for points every other year, or with a 2 bdm. lock-off, you can exchange one side one year, and the other side the next.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Starwood Owner - Maui and Scottsdale
Originally Posted by jchao
For those that are more timeshare savvy, would it be possible to qualify for the incentives (again) in a year or so when we are ready to buy? They made it sound like it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing!
Definitely, although the incentives change all the time depending on how well the units are selling, etc.

You might want to consider the resale market. You could save $5K - $10K. You would have all the same rights as someone who bought from the developer, except you wouldn't be able to convert it into Starpoints. You would, however, still be able to exchange it for other Starwood TS properties.
http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/we...sp?resortID=12

Last edited by DeniseM; Sep 22, 2005 at 6:51 pm
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Probably this one is the best-known:

http://www.tug2.net/

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Excellent link! To specifically discuss Starwood, go to:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/

Then, scroll down to the "Hotel-based Timeshare Systems" section.

Also, for a nice overview of the Starwood system, go to:

http://www.tug2.net/advice/Starwood_...on_Network.htm

Last edited by grgs; Sep 22, 2005 at 7:39 pm Reason: addition
Old Sep 24, 2005, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by CPRich
Beware of consequences of this offer - you may end up owning a SVO property

On the upside, I can now take names and get this offer to fellow FT'ers for the Westin Maui.

PM me your name, address, email, and phone number. All details please - I'll go through the paperwork to send them in, but I'm not going to chase you down for missing information .

I sent in about 10 names that I have received and confirmed back to the requesters.

If you are interested, or thought you sent a message but didn't get a confirmation, PM me again with all of the above info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.