Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[PREOPENING] Excited for upcoming St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREOPENING] Excited for upcoming St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
First of all, attack the idea not the author.

Second, you going to haul milk across the world in a cooler? If not, STR gonna charge you so what's the point of brining your own cereal.

Third, this isnt a Residence Inn. No microwaves or hotplates in a straw room sitting on a wood dock.

Fourth, seriously trying to save a trivial amount of money at a hotel that is $2k a night?

Fifth, luggage will be weighed before seaplane and you are going to get charged through the arse for weight overages. Food would be a bad reason to incur such a charge.
Never had a problem getting a bottle of milk from the Kitchen at any Luxury Hotel and getting a microwave or extra fridge put int the room. Your username would suggest you might know a thing or two about people who keep kosher and their basic needs.

I'm not talking about skimping completely, just not feeling obligated to run to breakfast every day when I can do something totally adequate in the room and spend the money instead at the Spa
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by beastieb
I don't think this is for anyone looking for a cheap vacation. Even for a "free" award stay... by the time you consider transfers for 2, food, and at least an excursion or two you probably need to budget at least a few thousand dollars. On the bright side.. you're saving about 2,000 a night, so if it's something you wanted to do anyway, this would be the way to go.
Your not saving 2K a night if you wouldn't stay there otherwise and see no difference between there and the PH.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
First of all, attack the idea not the author.]

Fourth, seriously trying to save a trivial amount of money at a hotel that is $2k a night?
its trying to save a couple hundred dollars at a hotel that costs 26k SPG a night.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by emkay
Your not saving 2K a night if you wouldn't stay there otherwise and see no difference between there and the PH.
I meant that you're saving 2K a night on a not cheap vacation if you wanted to go to Maldives and you were going to pay for it.

As far as saving from the Park Hyatt one of the posters mentioned they were paying cash (500/night) to upgrade into an over-water villa. If that's the case then even if they were diamond and getting a free breakfast, and some happy hour drinks that's worth about 200? 250 ? a day. So by confirming in a over-water at the StR on points, they actually would be saving money by staying at the StR and paying for breakfast, 200-250/day would add up quickly.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:17 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by JBauer
Concierge told me SNAs get you a beach villa? That's why I was wondering how that's an upgrade over an overwater? The site does not have good room photos yet...probably not built yet...considering W is 90k points a night for a basic room, some good values in extravagant st Regis rooms...

For 5 nights...

Sunset overwater villa with pool, king bed: ocean views and personal butler service: 300,000 Starpoints for the stay

Overwater St. Regis Suite, king bed: personal butler service, winde bar, pool terrace: 360,000 Starpoints for the stay

Two bedroom family villa with pool, king bed and two queen beds: seaview, personal butler service: 480,000 Starpoints for the stay
Do you have pricing for the Garden Villa / standard overwater villa?

Are the 5th night free redemption included?

Also, how long out were you able to get a booking?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Never had a problem getting a bottle of milk from the Kitchen at any Luxury Hotel and getting a microwave or extra fridge put int the room. Your username would suggest you might know a thing or two about people who keep kosher and their basic needs.

I'm not talking about skimping completely, just not feeling obligated to run to breakfast every day when I can do something totally adequate in the room and spend the money instead at the Spa
While I am sure milk would be no issue, I am not so sure about an extra fridge or microwave at a newly (or possibly most) opened luxury resort in the Maldives. It is simply not how they are setup or run. I certainly wouldn't bank on it being available. They tend not to have a lot of spares laying around! I would also suspect should you pre request this you are marking yourself out to probably be given then worst room available. Maybe shouldn't be the case but quite possibly how it would work out!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Booked for 6 nights in February. Those prices include 5th night free. Still an amazing deal.

Garden 126k
Overwater 130k

For 5 nights.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Breakfast

From concierge:

Our Platinum breakfast will be available at our Alba Restaurant and it is our normal buffet breakfast.

You can view basic information about our restaurants here:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregis/property/dining/index.html?propertyID=4315
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
From concierge:

Our Platinum breakfast will be available at our Alba Restaurant and it is our normal buffet breakfast.

You can view basic information about our restaurants here:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregis/property/dining/index.html?propertyID=4315
Thank you for posting that, really is useful information!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Booked the week before Christmas. Garden 126k vs Overwater 130k seems like a complete no-brainer, especially that the fifth night is free.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kyo
What's the earliest/latest dates that everyone has managed to book so far? I wouldn't mind 2-3 nights away, but I can't justify any more than that away...
You absolutely don't want to do 2-3 nights considering the seaplane transfer is $650.

I think you can book almost any week at this point; I have the week before Christmas booked, and you should be able to book as far out as the SPG schedule allows.

I'd book now and hope plans don't change, as I don't see them keeping at this rate for the long term, since this is likely to be nicer than the W, and it's nonsensical that it's a third of the price... (particularly when the dollar rate is actually higher)
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:24 am
kkl

Anyone know the size of the overwater villas?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
While I am sure milk would be no issue
There is no fresh milk in the Maldives, BTW. UHT only.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
There is no fresh milk in the Maldives, BTW. UHT only.
Which is the same for most remote locations - Rarotonga is like this, etc.

Basically, there are no cows!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I don't have enough points yet. After pooling with my wife, I'm about 20k short for 5 nights so I would have to buy those for $500-700 (depending on whether there's a sale). For me to book StR, I would have to be fully committed to it.

Interestingly, the paid rate for all the rooms includes breakfast by default. Could this mean breakfast is included in the award rate as well?
Please don't waste your time or money in one of the run down OwV at the PH. Trust me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.